Winter - Bodywork prep

Associate
My rather old (but very reliable) Astra is heading into yet another winter - and I would like to prep the paintwork for the typical Highland onslaught of salty roads.
I've been using Bilt Hamber products on the subframe/underside the past couple of years and it does a fine job of keeping things in check, but I've never really used anything other than weekly applications of AutoGlym's Aqua Wax on the paintwork.

Is it worth polishing and applying a more substantial wax before the weather turns? If so, can anyone recommend something decent for me to use

Thanks!

Soldato
Gummi Pflege too ?, so the doors/windows don't stick with frost.
but I don't know what is best to lube the locks

Soldato
as you say original is like toothpaste - but this is ok
Einszett Rubber Care Gummi Pflege 100ml

GUMMI 1 £4.00
Subtotal £4.00
Shipping & Handling £0.00
Tax £0.67
Grand Total £4.00

Thank you, Autobrite Direct

Soldato
*REBOOT .. FIRST HEAVY FROST SAT AM*

What grease are folks using in the depths of the window tracks themselves ? I'm now of the opinion that something else in addition to Gummi is needed
even as part of summer maintenance, a product that will provide sliipperiness, whereas gummi is 'protecting' rubber

After Sunday window cleaning - I am now trying some of this
https://www.perryspoolpump.com/product/aladdin-magic-lube-630-1-oz-pool-and-spa-teflon-lubricant/
cant see a picture of what I have but it's similarly packaged

Soldato
yes - that's it .. felt like I was torturing the car saturday am, just opening the doors ..

moreover started opening passenger door, it didn't want to give, but after car was warm inside,
had to stop later and firmly close that door which had freed itself and was, turned out, on 'half' latch.

Soldato
couple of recommendations I found https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1538549

Excellent timing! In this month's issue of Roundel (the BMW CCA magazine), Mike Miller (of Mike Miller's Old School BMW Maintenance Schedule) answered the same question, and recommended Wurth True Glide as the best lubricant for sunroof rails as well as seat tracks.

I have used DC-4 (Dow Corning 4)in the past with good success. Even though it is a electrical insulator it lubricates very well, does not break down, and keeps water away. It has been used in aviation for years and makes rubber happy..lol

well - I may try some of this I already had for car cd changer.
30ml Silicone Grease - MOLYKOTE 44M, -40 - 200˙C plastic, gears,bearings, seals

Back
Top Bottom