• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Remember the days when 1,800 quid would have got you a top top pc?

Man of Honour
Albeit some Black Friday deals saved me around £300 but I don't think I've even spent £1800 on my main rig yet even including the original 780GHz I put in there and then upgrading to a 1070 and recently putting a Creative AE-5 in.

Man of Honour
just dont buy Intel or Nvidia

Doesn't make much odds GPU wise towards the higher end - AMD Vega there isn't much in it price wise between that and the closest equivalent nVidia GPUs - infact until a couple of weeks ago AMD price/performance for their faster GPUs was terrible.

CPU wise the x600 and up Ryzen range do fairly well and way cheaper than the closest equivalent Intel CPUs.

Soldato
Doesn't make much odds GPU wise towards the higher end - AMD Vega there isn't much in it price wise between that and the closest equivalent nVidia GPUs - infact until a couple of weeks ago AMD price/performance for their faster GPUs was terrible.

CPU wise the x600 and up Ryzen range do fairly well and way cheaper than the closest equivalent Intel CPUs.

I wasnt entirely fair i guess, but a 1070/Vega56 or 1080/Vega64 will do *most* game at near max settings and as most have pointed out these are cheap enough to fit in a system well under £1800. No need for those 9900k's or 2080tis

Soldato
I wasnt entirely fair i guess, but a 1070/Vega56 or 1080/Vega64 will do *most* game at near max settings and as most have pointed out these are cheap enough to fit in a system well under £1800. No need for those 9900k's or 2080tis

In fact, you can get a great system for just a hair under £1k

pPyxCQL.png

Man of Honour
In fact, you can get a great system for just a hair under £1k

I built someone a similar setup to that except 1070ti and 250GB SSD and was well under a grand - handles pretty much anything you can throw at it fine for sub 4K gaming.

And the RAM price has dropped since then - at the time you'd be hard pressed to get 16GB ~3000MHz DDR4 for less than £170.

Soldato
I'd be curious what £1800 actually would have bought you, say 20 years ago? I was building PC's then but I have no recollection what things cost now. I was only a broke teenager, so pretty sure I wasn't spending that kind of money, but I remember still being able to play the latest games etc.
About 25 years ago I bought my first PC. It cost a little over £2000 from Dan Technology. It was a 486DX2-66. I think it had 16MB of RAM and a 500MB hard disk. It came with a Tseng Labs graphics card and a sound blaster card as well as all the other usual bits & bobs of the era and a 17" monitor.

Associate
Looking at top end hardware a GTX 1080 TI and 8700K would have set you back about £1000 a year or so ago. Now it's £1600 for an RTX 2080 Ti and 9900K. I'm not saying either are recommended, just pointing out the comparative prices of high end consumer level hardware (the Titan Xp was more but offered very little extra over the Ti). At least DDR4 and SSD prices are lower.

Man of Honour
I'm pretty sure you'd never gave gotten anything approaching top top end for £1800 ever taking inflation into account, our first PC that my parents bought was something from Time and was approaching a grand if not a little more back in 97/98 and it was far from high end.

bru

bru

Soldato
I remember the days before IBM and their darned take on the "PC" came along..

Could get a PC for sub £100: https://nosher.net/archives/computers/adve_026

You kids and your expensive iPhones and Latte's.. I don't know. :D

Oh god that brings back some memories, I had one of the zx80 kits, the keyboard never did work right on mine. The ZX81 was much better even with the ram pack wobble issue.

Associate
Remember the days when a 3 bedroom house would cost £150k? Remember the time when a penny sweet actually cost a penny and a 99 ice cream actually cost 99p? Wtf is your point?

Soldato
My Dad bought his first house for 10k lol

Yea inflation and all that, but it was still nowhere near as expensive vs wages.

Associate
Just seen the Evga 1080ti priced at £899 !!! This is sheer madness. There seems to be an unprecedented amount of greed from the retailers atm

bru

bru

Soldato
Remember the days when a 3 bedroom house would cost £150k? Remember the time when a penny sweet actually cost a penny and a 99 ice cream actually cost 99p? Wtf is your point?

Well the whole thread has slightly more point than your post, but hey if it is ok for him to start the thread then it is certainly ok for you to post what you did.:p:D:p

Back
Top Bottom