** HTC VIVE VR WIRELESS ADAPTOR AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
Dropping the wires is the best thing to happen to my experience with VR since I first took ownership of an OG Vive over two years ago. But the lack of a QC3 charger from HTC is laughable. The lack of instructions about charging is a serious omission. Not everyone has detailed working knowledge of fast charging batteries, even though it's just a quick internet search away, there's a lot of misleading advice out there on the wild wild web. I plugged it in overnight to my plugboard's USB sockets not thinking anything of it, and it's trickle-charged. It'll be ready for tonight, but only just. I'll try my one+ dash charger after tonight's session, which should probably be rated sufficiently to give it a boost.

What is OverClockersUK staff and the sage community's best advice for charging this thing at a decent rate?

OcUK Staff
OP
Dropping the wires is the best thing to happen to my experience with VR since I first took ownership of an OG Vive over two years ago. But the lack of a QC3 charger from HTC is laughable. The lack of instructions about charging is a serious omission. Not everyone has detailed working knowledge of fast charging batteries, even though it's just a quick internet search away, there's a lot of misleading advice out there on the wild wild web. I plugged it in overnight to my plugboard's USB sockets not thinking anything of it, and it's trickle-charged. It'll be ready for tonight, but only just. I'll try my one+ dash charger after tonight's session, which should probably be rated sufficiently to give it a boost.

What is OverClockersUK staff and the sage community's best advice for charging this thing at a decent rate?

HTC are coming in for a meeting in a few weeks. I'll ask them for detailed info and post it in the VR thread. Got to say I don't have the experience with batteries that large, and we are still waiting on our sample!

There were so many pre-orders we couldn't take one from stock when it landed!

Should have more stock landing by next Friday. Anybody who wants to pre-order from this tranche I'll upgrade to Saturday delivery if it arrives on the Friday. If it arrives before Friday or the week after it'll be standard next day.

Soldato
I didn't even consider the charging as I have an Anker 4 port charger clipped to the wall behind the monitor. So I usually have 4 mini-usb cables available for charging devices (including the Vive controllers) only difference is I have swapped in the USB-C cable supplied and plugged in the battery and it took couple of hours to fully charge (from half).

I have some additional jitter on the virtual controllers in game so I'm going to try moving the transmitter and maybe reduce reflections with a rug as I have hard flooring. I didn't have that with the TP Cast so it's a bit of trial and error I suppose. Could be the lighthouses as they have been turned off for a while so I'll check the mounts on those too.

**UPDATE** I did move the sender and used the meter to check for blind spots but I also forgot to disable the AB fps limiter which was set to 75 fps so controller jitter gone.

Last edited:
Associate
Should have more stock landing by next Friday. Anybody who wants to pre-order from this tranche I'll upgrade to Saturday delivery if it arrives on the Friday. If it arrives before Friday or the week after it'll be standard next day.
Pre-ordered hope it actually works with my Ryzen setup...

Soldato
How is everyone finding their wireless kit?

Any problems? Is the deluxe audio strap recommended? How many batteries did you buy? Can you use cheap 3rd party batteries?

Associate

Any problems? Is the deluxe audio strap recommended? How many batteries did you buy? Can you use cheap 3rd party batteries?

Mine is coming tomorrow lets see if it works.... I think you can use a cheap powerbank, it must be a fast charge one.
Anker PowerCore Speed 10000 (it looks the same as the one you get with it).

OcUK Staff
OP
Mine is coming tomorrow lets see if it works.... I think you can use a cheap powerbank, it must be a fast charge one.
Anker PowerCore Speed 10000 (it looks the same as the one you get with it).

Hope you enjoy it!

I tried to list some Anker powerbanks a couple of years back. To get to jungle prices the minimum order quantity was in the 1000's... :eek:

Associate
Had a long session with it today.

Only annoying feature is that it does not have a warning when the battery is low and just shuts off.
Would be nice to have a 10% warning message pop up or audio message.

When the battery did die, I swapped another battery in. The headset refused to turn back on until I closed and reopened Steam VR.
A minor annoyance.

I also treated myself to some prescription lenses from VR Optician as it's annoying having to wear glasses with the headset on. They work a treat, can highly recommend them!

Associate
Hope you enjoy it!

I tried to list some Anker powerbanks a couple of years back. To get to jungle prices the minimum order quantity was in the 1000's... :eek:

Love it until it stops working and blue screens my PC, was working fine until the first blue screen managed to drain a full power bank.
Now every 10 mins I get blue screen DCP_WATCHDOG-VIOLATION. Looks like their isnt a fix (nor will there be one forthcoming I guess).

Soldato

Had some jitter on the controllers at first but made sure the signal strength was full all around my play area and re-tightened the base stations as they had worked lose from being installed for months.

Previously I was constantly moving the headset back to a good position to keep the sweet spot in front of my eyes. The deluxe helped to reduce this and the inbuilt speakers are also very convenient anyway. I don't seem to be doing that at all now as the wireless adaptor has reduced some of the front heavy balance of the headset despite the extra weight.

Very nice to pickup the whole headset, speakers & wireless adaptor. Slip the battery pack in your pocket and stick the HMD on your head and play in complete freedom!

Software connection is just a double click in addition to the normal Steam VR client. Much simpler than the TP Cast which required a whole process of connecting to the base station, controllers and headset and it wasn't always 100% reliable. Lots of spinning icons!

Only complaint is the already mentioned lack of battery life indication though I'm getting a good 2hrs plus with the supplied pack which is usually enough. If you're sharing then one battery pack may not be enough and re-charging is not very quick even with an Anker wall charger.

Last edited:
Associate
HTC are coming in for a meeting in a few weeks. I'll ask them for detailed info and post it in the VR thread. Got to say I don't have the experience with batteries that large, and we are still waiting on our sample!

Any news from this meeting, or if it hasn't happened yet, this is a gentle bump to bring it up with them. It's frustrating that they didn't include some sort of capable plug for charging. I'm surprised that's not against some sort of UK consumer law for electronic items.

OcUK Staff
OP
Any news from this meeting, or if it hasn't happened yet, this is a gentle bump to bring it up with them. It's frustrating that they didn't include some sort of capable plug for charging. I'm surprised that's not against some sort of UK consumer law for electronic items.

Yeah, during the meeting was one of the outcomes was for HTC to get back to me with compatible adaptors and advice for you.

They have since let me know that they'd prefer not to point people in the direction of the right adaptors to use as they don't want to endorse anything people may then go and buy and end up breaking the customers batteries.

I'm bogged down in arranging Black Friday deals otherwise I'd spend some time investigating for you.

Back
Top Bottom