Delidding 4790k, services?

Associate
OP
So exciting weekend so far.

Stripped down my 750D gave it a good clean whilst I was at it :) Replaced the stock case fans with Cosair ML's and swapped out my H80i for a H150i Pro (Kryonaut used). I made sure to record temps with the new fans and cooling again so didnt marr the results when I compared after the delid.

So did my trial run on a cheap £2 celeron and glad I did as it allowed me to practice the whole process. The part I was most worried about was the application of the liquid metal.

Cleaning the old silicon glue off was easy. Just scrape it off with a plastic card, wood bbq skewer & finger nail. Cleaning the TIM easy. Nail polishing the exposed contacts near the die, easy. Working with the liquid metal, a lot harder than it looks. Glad I used tape to create a barrier. Kind of have to treat it like water and push/dab it along. Top tip is to tap the applicator plunger to make it come out in small quantities. Adding the high temp silicon glue (gasket sealer) little dots in each corner just to hold the IHS easy. Now just have wait an hour for it to cure and the test run is done!

Took a bunch of pictures. Will post an album later.

My top tips

• Warm the CPU up before with Prime95 for 10 minutes before. I Found on the real run this helped the silicon glue come off a bit easier.
  • Using the scotch tape to barrier the die works well.
  • Once you have added the liquid metal to the die, put it back in the delid tool, then add the IHS positioner and add the IHS back in and then lift it off. This then gives you an imprint of where to put the liquid metal on the IHS. Which means you can then mask off with scotch tape for a perfect oblong.
  • Tap the applicator plunger for the liquid metal dont push it, this helps give you a small amount.
  • Using the four dot method to secure the IHS back with gasket mask took about 2 hours before it felt solid
What I struggled with.

• Kryonaut. I'm an artic silver guy since the begining and I found this stuff so hard to use even with their applicator. Couldnt get a good technique for it. I think I may have to reapply this as might have made a mess of IHS to AIOC IHS.

Just finishing doing the real one and holy <REDACTED!!!!#####!!!>

So under Prime95

Prev with 4790k, H150i (Kryonaut) at 4.4 with 1.2953v under 100% getting 89-91c

Been running for 15 minutes and getting around 65c. Core 1 & 2 seems to randomly run 4-5c hotter then setltle back down a bit.

Going to let Prime run for a couple of hours an see if things settle down.

Not sure if thats a Die > IHS or IHS > AIOC IHS issue.

So hopefully will be able to push my 4790k beyond 4.4Ghz now.

Really happy with the result and the amount of fun I have had this weekend.

Again big thanks to @Olly for lending me the Delid and Gasket!

Associate
OP
Seems to have settled around 62c and 64c on core #1. Noticed a few weird things with the H150i I'll ask over on the Cosair forums.

Will leave the burn in running.

Back
Top Bottom