The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The Seven Deadly Sins season 2 just dropped on Netflix. One of the few Animes I watch now.

Interesting they have essentially added power levels ala DBZ :D

Associate
I'm upto episode 5, it's not bad but it's nothing special either, slightly different than teen gets mech and saves the world like most of the recent Gundam's which is surprising, they've gone with troubled adult this time around.

ahh in that case its an easy watch then, ill start it tonight and see how i get on, thanks

Associate
Hi im a total newbie (not a clue) to anime, i was recently given 5 bags full of anime dvds as my friend didnt want them anymore as they were taken up to much space for him and he said hes been collecting for about 15+ years so some are quite old and i didnt want to see them go in the bin :). Heres the question what out of all of these would people recommend for an easy watch, my friend recommended azu manga daioh as he said thats quite funny, any other stand out titles in this lot?...cheers

Commissario
OP
You're Under Arrest is fun, it's basically two police women and their (mis?)adventures, one is unusually strong and doesn't think things through, the other is an excellent and methodical thinker and a brilliant driver.
Haibane Rendmei is very slow, relaxing and basically about getting on with life (it does have it's tense moments), beautifully done.
The collection in the second picture of 11 movies is a Chinese bootleg copy of the Ghibli movies (I think a few of the titles in the set are copies by the looks of it), pretty much any of them are great films but you may not get the best experience with the chinses bootlegs
Azumanga Diagh is just plain fun, although you need to get the humour and be able to go along with the jokes.
Princess 9 is a surprisingly good baseball anime about an all girls team getting started and getting to know each other/learning to work together, with added drama (I have little interest in sports, no interest in baseball, but really enjoyed it when I watched it years ago).
Nadia is ok, good if you like Ghibli or Gainax works (it's early Gainax based roughly on an adaptation that i think was originally going to be a Miyazaki project).

Last Exile is very good (and it looks like you've got the LE figure), very enjoyable sci-fi/fantasy involving what are basically fleet battles in aiships/submarines with the main characters being pilots of what are effectively a small mail craft/fighter.

Akira is a classic cyberpunk/sci-fi anime (probably one of the two best known ones).

Ai Yori is basically a love story, it's pretty good if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Love Hina is a romantic comedy/harem anime that I remember being good at the time when I watched it (nearly 20 years ago), it depends on your taste :) I rewatched it a while back and it hadn't aged as well as some other series.

Princess Mononoke is Ghibli, so good :D

The Slayers are a classic comedy/fantasy series, good for it's time, but not sure how well it's aged (it was a massive hit back in the day).

Steel Angel Kurumi is a sci-fi/comedy set in a slightly alternate timeline, I can't really remember much about it.

Voices of a Distant Star is a very short (45 minute) sci-fi about a girl who signs up to fight aliens and gets separated from her boyfriend who is left on earth, told through the text messages they send each other which take increasingly long times to arrive - very good, and exceptional when you realise it was the work of one guy with some assistance from a couple of friends to do the music and original songs (IIRC the DVD has both the original track of the Shinkai* and his GF doing the voices, and the professional japanese dub).

There are also various Tenchi Muyo bits in there (films and one of the Sasame spin offs) which vary in quality, but you'd probably want to see the Tenchi Muyo: Ryo Ohki OVA's to understand most of it.

*He's gone on to do some absolutely brilliant work as a professional anime director/writer

Associate
You're Under Arrest is fun, it's basically two police women and their (mis?)adventures, one is unusually strong and doesn't think things through, the other is an excellent and methodical thinker and a brilliant driver.
Haibane Rendmei is very slow, relaxing and basically about getting on with life (it does have it's tense moments), beautifully done.
The collection in the second picture of 11 movies is a Chinese bootleg copy of the Ghibli movies (I think a few of the titles in the set are copies by the looks of it), pretty much any of them are great films but you may not get the best experience with the chinses bootlegs
Azumanga Diagh is just plain fun, although you need to get the humour and be able to go along with the jokes.
Princess 9 is a surprisingly good baseball anime about an all girls team getting started and getting to know each other/learning to work together, with added drama (I have little interest in sports, no interest in baseball, but really enjoyed it when I watched it years ago).
Nadia is ok, good if you like Ghibli or Gainax works (it's early Gainax based roughly on an adaptation that i think was originally going to be a Miyazaki project).

Last Exile is very good (and it looks like you've got the LE figure), very enjoyable sci-fi/fantasy involving what are basically fleet battles in aiships/submarines with the main characters being pilots of what are effectively a small mail craft/fighter.

Akira is a classic cyberpunk/sci-fi anime (probably one of the two best known ones).

Ai Yori is basically a love story, it's pretty good if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Love Hina is a romantic comedy/harem anime that I remember being good at the time when I watched it (nearly 20 years ago), it depends on your taste :) I rewatched it a while back and it hadn't aged as well as some other series.

Princess Mononoke is Ghibli, so good :D

The Slayers are a classic comedy/fantasy series, good for it's time, but not sure how well it's aged (it was a massive hit back in the day).

Steel Angel Kurumi is a sci-fi/comedy set in a slightly alternate timeline, I can't really remember much about it.

Voices of a Distant Star is a very short (45 minute) sci-fi about a girl who signs up to fight aliens and gets separated from her boyfriend who is left on earth, told through the text messages they send each other which take increasingly long times to arrive - very good, and exceptional when you realise it was the work of one guy with some assistance from a couple of friends to do the music and original songs (IIRC the DVD has both the original track of the Shinkai* and his GF doing the voices, and the professional japanese dub).

There are also various Tenchi Muyo bits in there (films and one of the Sasame spin offs) which vary in quality, but you'd probably want to see the Tenchi Muyo: Ryo Ohki OVA's to understand most of it.

*He's gone on to do some absolutely brilliant work as a professional anime director/writer

Wow thanks for that really helpful and I will try some of them ones you have recommended and see how I get on

Commissario
OP
NP, I've seen a lot of them over the years (I have a lot of them on DVD:D)

If you find you enjoy last exile, the sequel is available over here cheaply now, iirc it's about £6-7 per half season set on blu-ray if you shop around.

I forgot to say Last Exile and Haibane Renmei iirc have the same character designer :)

Soldato
I won't comment much on the ones Werewolf as already mentioned as he covered them pretty well,

Dragon Half is a good comedy, well worth watching and not very long.
I'd recommend Battle Athletes OVA and TV series.
A Little Snow Fairy Sugar is ultra cute, maybe a bit too much for me. Aimed at the younger audience.
Duel is mech Sci-fi series in the Tenchi Muyo Universe. It was one of many shows that came after Neon Genesis Evangelion (Which is a really well know anime, if you didn't know) that copied a lot of it's themes.
The slayers DVDs are some of the Movies, personally I don't think they are as good as the TV series, but they do have much higher production values.

Also if you don't like anything and are thinking about binning them check the prices on ebay beforehand. Some of those like battle athletes are long out of print and go for reasonable money and it would be a shame for them to go to landfill. :D

This has also reminded me I still have the Someday's Dreamers and Risky Safety sealed DVDs that I should watch at some point. :o (Having seem some eps on fansub)

Soldato
Finished S2 / S3 of Seven Deadly Sins and it wasn't as good as S1 for me, standout moments were anytime Leo was on screen, I couldn't help but smile everytime he showed up in his 'full' mode.

Soldato
There aren't that many Horror Anime films.

I guess Wicked city and Monster City count as they were released as Movies and OVAs in Japan. Berserk: The Golden Age Arc films would be classed as horror as well.

Mermaid's Forest and Scar OVAs are worth a watch. (And there is a TV series)

TV Series, Parasite The Maxim & Death Note are worth a look.

Soldato
I was thinking of Wicked City and Monster City, but thought they might be a little too old, both very good movies.

Real 80's anime, hardcore.

OVA and Animes wise, I would recommend Corpse Party (the games are on Steam). Blood-C, Another and Shinsekai yori (a good favourite)

There is others, but I would feel they not really horror, but gore horror

Soldato
While not an anime movie, I would recommend Fatal Frame (Gekijōban Zero)

Anime wise, King of Thorn is good.

Does it have to be a movie? There is more OVA's and series than movies, that I could recommend.

yh only want to watch something short and people have recommended series

• Higurashi When They Cry
  • Speed Grapher
  • Shiki
  • Jigoku Shoujo
  • Mahou Shoujo Site
  • Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
  • Ousama Game The Animation
  • Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi
  • Berserk

other Movie recommendations I got
perfect Blue
Blood the last vampire
Midori: Shoujo Tsubaki

seen Shinsekai yori great one that

There aren't that many Horror Anime films.

I guess Wicked city and Monster City count as they were released as Movies and OVAs in Japan. Berserk: The Golden Age Arc films would be classed as horror as well.

Mermaid's Forest and Scar OVAs are worth a watch. (And there is a TV series)

TV Series, Parasite The Maxim & Death Note are worth a look.

will check out Wicked City and Monster City

thanks

Associate
movie/ova
Wicked city
Monster City
Berserk: The Golden Age Arc films
Blood: the last vampire
Blood-c movie
perfect blue (technically horror but it also in few other genre)
Gantz:0
Vampire hunter D

Tv
Tokyo Ghoul series
Elfen Lied
Another
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
Hellsing ultimate
Monster
Gantz
berserk
blue gender
blood+
blood-c
Parasite The Maxim
Death Note
attack on titans

Soldato
movie/ova
Wicked city
Monster City
Berserk: The Golden Age Arc films
Blood: the last vampire
Blood-c movie
perfect blue (technically horror but it also in few other genre)
Gantz:0
Vampire hunter D

Tv
Tokyo Ghoul series
Elfen Lied
Another
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
Hellsing ultimate
Monster
Gantz
berserk
blue gender