Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Associate
I did beetroot, red and rainbow, 85C for 1 hour and then finished in a little bit of butter on a hot pan.

To say they were sensational would be an understatement.

same with the carrots.

These were from our allotment so were probably a bit nicer than shop bought but will try with shop beets this weekend.

Did you put anything else in the bag (seasoning, butter etc?). Thanks!

Soldato
I just use whatever bags I have around - steaks with a touch of olive oil and a spring of rosemary from the garden is all I put in mine.

Soldato
Thanks, I thikn I'll try doing a quick pan sauce with a glass of red wine, butter etc. But the bag juices (mmm bag juices :p) will probably help so I'll save those. It's not mainly bloody though is it? :confused:

In my experience you get a lot of proteins in the bag juices which when added to the gravy pan and boiled coagulate. This is visually unappetising but doesn't affect the flavour, so depending how fussy I'm being I'll strain the gravy before finishing.

Associate
We did pork chops last night (well, MrsSeabiscuit did) and they were amazing. I've never managed to cook pork chops well, they always wend dry and tough, but these were amazing. Very tender and juicy. Would eat again very happily.

Burgers sound interesting. We've mainly done smash burgers over the last couple of years, but a thicker burger could be interesting to try with the Anova too.

Associate
I've been set a challenge - there's a frozen, pretty tough joint of sirloin roast. To be cooked medium-rare, what would be your utmost juiciest tastiest plan? I'm thinking more low and slow around 57C for up to 24h but not sure exactly how long.
Will follow up with blow torch or grill to finish. Not cooking it til just before Xmas, I think it's about a kilo.

Soldato
I'd probably go a tad lower at 55c. Time will depend on thickness, is it rolled or a flat piece? Bring it up to room temperature before cooking.

A few months back I did a piece of rolled sirloin at 53c for 4 hours and it was perfect. In the bag was thyme, garlic and butter. Once cooking I then seared on on my chimney starter.

Associate
Flat slab piece I believe, it's at the in-laws' so I haven't actually seen what I'll be working with. 55 sounds good and what I'd use for rib eye. Reckon 4h should do it? There seems to be such a plethora of timings and they typically use American cut names

Man of Honour
I did a 1.2kg silverside joint a couple of weeks ago, 55°C for 8 hours. Came out lovely. Enough left over for sandwiches for me the next day too.

Got a 3.4kg pork lion joint from my local butcher last week. The other half was worried that I was going to do the whole thing in one go. I was tempted... But instead I spent a few minutes chopping it into decently thick steaks. :D Got 10 steaks out of it. They've been vacuum sealed and frozen. Did a couple of the weekend. Came out great. Just followed the "add 50% to the cooking time" recommendation. Didn't salt them before freezing, did add some rosemary, thyme and pepper before freezing though.

Associate
Another week, another poached sous vide chicken, finished with the blowtorch.

One normal teacup of water
Tablespoon of veg stock
Sage (handful of leaves,some stuffed into the arms and legs)
Rosemary
Thyme
Salt
Soy sauce

150F (65.6C) overnight, typically recipes say it's 6h but mine was still fine after nearly 10h so I wouldn't worry about timings so much in future. So juicy and tender, even breast.

Also left some excellent stock which got reduced by half then chilled. It will get frozen for ramen tonight.

Soldato
I've wanted a sous vide cooker for a few years now and I think this year will be the year I snap .

Is anova the only real contender for the price or is there better? Saw its currently at £90.

Also recommendation for decent sealer and bags?

Back
Top Bottom