Best DDR3 RAM to date

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking to buy some new RAM tonight but not sure what's best. I've got a Sabertooth Z77 so as far as I know that m/board doesn't support DDR4, my Q is pretty much the title. What is the best DDR3 16GB RAM today? (I'm looking to spend up to £150, so really the best RAM within that price limit)

Soldato
Also, Sandy Bridge didn't play very nice with high clocked RAM IIRC. Even Ivy Bridge didn't benefit much over about 1866.

You're right that Z77 doesn't support DDR4. Haswell (Z87/97) was the last consumer DDR3 generation.

Man of Honour
Samsung Green was probably one of the best DDR3 kit's that were available. It could do 2400mhz albeit with slacker timings and 2T but the sweet spot is 2133mhz at cas 9 1T. If your board wasn't up to the speed you could tighten the timings to cas 6 or 7 at 1600mhz instead. I got mine on one of OCUK's deals where I got 16Gb for £62. Shortly after the price of memory went through the roof. You still see it come up second hand from time to time.

Associate
I upgraded my DDR3 from 2 x 4GB to 2 x 8GB this year ...... went with second hand off the auction site. Spent about £65 and the RAM is perfectly fine.

In general I find that RAM either works or doesn't, the instability usually comes from the motherboard (eg. filling up all RAM banks) so going second hand is of a lower risk than say a CPU or GPU that may have been overclocked or mined on.

Soldato
mine were used, but i currently use HyperX Fury(blue) 1600mhz, its 2 single 8gb sticks rather than a kit, im used to 1600mhz, guess i notice more ram than speed over 8gb kit of 1333 xms3 i have in my other system.

anyways i got mine 2nd hand from a popular shop last week, wouldve cost £50 for the pair had i not had something unrelated to trade in, so was £25, but since thursday i spent just under £70 on 2 brand new single 4gb 2400 ddr4 sticks, so i wouldnt even spend more than that on older hardware, hell i wouldnt spend more than my HyperX wouldve cost at full price and i thought £50 was a lot lol.

Back
Top Bottom