• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Suddenly can't put any load on week old 2080 Ti without crashing

Associate
Have you got Nvidia driver stopped responding and has recovered messages in the event viewer when this happens, like me?
I haven't dug that deeply into it yet. Will do more diagnosing tonight and check the event logs. It feels like a driver crash since the VR mirror view freezes, while the headset goes black, yet the game continues playing in the background. Sometimes the game totally crashes and sends a bug report. And once it was a crash followed by a BSOD.

I really hope it's not the card. I have to test a few more intensive titles and maybe run a stress test for a few hours.

Associate
Ok, I've tried Battlefield 1 and Just Cause 3. Both crash after about 5-10 minutes. Sometimes with an Nvidia error in the event log (pCars2), but mostly just application crash events with a generic c00000005 exception (BF1, JC3). I've tried reseating the card, taking out the powerlink connector, DDU/reinstall, older versions of the driver - no difference.

Going to try remove my CPU overclock next, followed by reverting back to the two 1080s. If they check out fine, I'm going to contact Nvidia and get the damn thing RMA'd.

Associate
I’ve seen people on other forums with similar issues when it comes to crashing with the 2080Ti, some have managed to cure it by upping the power limit in MSI Afterburner to the maximum amount available.

Seems they’re a bit power starved at stock.

Associate
TBH, they then need to either issue a BIOS update to up the stock power limit or recall the cards. It should work out the box, I shouldn't have to load a third-party tool just to play games.

Associate
Yeah totally agree, but until the issue is addressed by the manufacturers then increasing the power limit in the mean time might allow people to enjoy their new purchase.

Associate
I didn’t say it made sense, just sharing what’s worked for other users.

If increasing the power limit works then great, enjoy the card, if doesn’t you’ve lost minutes and it’s time continue testing other components or request an RMA.

Back
Top Bottom