• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Need some help, i went from i7 2600k to 2700x, i was expecting performance gain in games but im not seeing it, also windows performance is not the same.
The primarily issue is stuttering and i also feel my single Vega 64 is bottleneck by the system.

Parts:
Vega 64
2700x
Corsair AX850
Crosshar vii hero
Cruicial 3466 ram, this is suppose to be Samsung b die but i can only run it at 3400 or else i get boot loops and unstable system.
aio cooler

i include video of CS GO, is this performance normal? i see a lot of micro-stutter

Last edited:
Permabanned
Need some help, i went from i7 2600k to 2700x, i was expecting performance gain in games but im not seeing it, also windows performance is not the same.
The primarily issue is stuttering and i also feel my single Vega 64 is bottleneck by the system.

Parts:
Vega 64
2700x
Corsair AX850
Crosshar vii hero
Cruicial 3466 ram, this is suppose to be Samsung b die but i can only run it at 3400 or else i get boot loops and unstable system.
aio cooler

i include video of CS GO, is this performance normal? i see a lot of micro-stutter

I don't see any micro-stuttering. What I see is lack of vsync and maybe anti-aliasing.

Permabanned
I tried capturing the gpu utilization and fps, the stuttering did not show up in this clip.

In which case, we can safely assume that there is no micro-stuttering but perhaps something temporarily happened to your software stack, or it is a product of illusion or your imagination.

Soldato

Parts:
Vega 64
2700x
Corsair AX850
Crosshar vii hero
aio cooler

As @d_brennen said a lot of tearing.
Whats your monitor because you are going over 180fps in many places
Set the AMD driver FPS cap to your monitor refresh rate even if you have Freesync.

No need for Vsync

Permabanned
As @d_brennen said a lot of tearing.
Whats your monitor because you are going over 180fps in many places
Set the AMD driver FPS cap to your monitor refresh rate even if you have Freesync.

No need for Vsync

CS:GO should run with much higher framerate, like shown below:

In the comments section, someones said 299 FPS with i7 6600k 1070 high setting, and 400 FPS with an i5 8600k.

Associate
Microstutter is NOT a result of FPS being higher than a refresh rate. You do post some tosh lad.
Im not sure if you fully understand my problem, i think its not performing as it should i get low gpu utilization, drops in fps and a lot of micro stuttering in many games.
My montitor is pg348q, i have v-sync disabled and radeon chill

Soldato
Im not sure if you fully understand my problem, i think its not performing as it should i get low gpu utilization, drops in fps and a lot of micro stuttering in many games.
My montitor is pg348q, i have v-sync disabled and radeon chill

Oh I do. I was saying that what he had said is wrong. Running your fps higher than your refresh rate will not give you stutter.
Your issue lies somewhere else.

Associate
You didnt say if you tested the RAM for stability, how many RAM sticks you using, what bios settings/RAM voltage/timings etc, if they are single rank or dual rank, all will impact if you can run the RAM at high speed, Ryzen 2000 series officially support RAM speed up to 2933 so 3400 is overclocking the CPU IMC and may not be as stable as you think.

I would test using lower RAM speed e.g. 2933/2666, and double check your RAM timings and RAM voltage are correct. If still having problems then test using Bios default settings.

Test the game in exclusive full screen mode, some games get stuttering when using windowed or borderless windowed mode.

If using Windows 10:

Try the game with the "disable full-screen optimisations" checkbox in the game executable compatibility options. Sometimes windows by default will treat some games that are using exclusive fullscreen mode behave like borderless window mode to make alt-tabbing faster. If you check this box then it turns off the windows "feature" and uses exclusive fullscreen mode as normal. You need to find the game executable, right-click -> properties -> comparability tab -> check the box for "disable full-screen optimisations".

You can also try turn off the Windows "Game Mode" feature, Windows Settings -> Gaming -> Game Mode -> Toggle Game Mode to off (option in Windows 1809)

Associate
You didnt say if you tested the RAM for stability, how many RAM sticks you using, what bios settings/RAM voltage/timings etc, if they are single rank or dual rank, all will impact if you can run the RAM at high speed, Ryzen 2000 series officially support RAM speed up to 2933 so 3400 is overclocking the CPU IMC and may not be as stable as you think.

I would test using lower RAM speed e.g. 2933/2666, and double check your RAM timings and RAM voltage are correct. If still having problems then test using Bios default settings.

Test the game in exclusive full screen mode, some games get stuttering when using windowed or borderless windowed mode.

If using Windows 10:

Try the game with the "disable full-screen optimisations" checkbox in the game executable compatibility options. Sometimes windows by default will treat some games that are using exclusive fullscreen mode behave like borderless window mode to make alt-tabbing faster. If you check this box then it turns off the windows "feature" and uses exclusive fullscreen mode as normal. You need to find the game executable, right-click -> properties -> comparability tab -> check the box for "disable full-screen optimisations".

You can also try turn off the Windows "Game Mode" feature, Windows Settings -> Gaming -> Game Mode -> Toggle Game Mode to off (option in Windows 1809)

Good idea will try running my computer with complete default bios settings and see if its help(except raid).

this is the ram kit i use
http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/ble2c8g4d34aeeak

I have not done a lot of tinkering in bios, just enabled XMP profile(docp) and went from 3466 to 3400mhz because of random game crashes and boot issue.
I previously tried some overclocking but only managed 4.25ghz stable on all cores so i just figured it was no point since i do not use application that is utilizing all of the cores at the same time.

edit

just tried with optimized bios setting (default) and disabled game mode, no change.
the fps and gpu utilization is fluctuating extremely and too often it completely stops rendering to load texture.

Last edited:
Soldato
hi ive got recently upgraded to a 2700X. im after some advice OC'ing with asus board along with the ram.

im using PBO at the moment along with the stock cooler as my h100I V2 hose became detached when installing new kit so im gonna have to wait for a new one before doing any serious OC'ing. just after some advice on what to use and what settings to tweak or enable/disable within the bios.

my ram is the 8 pack t force dark pro 3200mhz ram CL14 14-14-14-31 but using ryzen calculation ive tightened them further to 14-14-14-14-28. the ram can be OC'd to a higher frequency but am i better off staying at 3200mhz with tighter timings or not?

cheers

Soldato
Hilbert Hagedoorn at Guru3D | Posted: 15 October 2018 said:
In an interesting find, it has been discovered that AMD processors based on ZEN architecture actually support the latest iteration of FMA, the FMA4-instruction set. The theory is that the FMA3 supplement instruction set would have been disabled for unknown reasons, however as it seems, it at the very least is partially working and active.

FMA is short for fused multiply-add and was added to the 2012 AMD FX series processors and have seen iteration changes leading up-tp FMA 3 and FMA4. FMA is a floating-point multiply-add operation performed in a single step, with a single rounding. It is the equivalent of the Intel AVX AVX instruction set, but more efficient and FMA4 should be really fast. Officially FMA4 is 33% faster than FMA3, however, it is not supported in the operating system, likely it was left disabled due to bugs or perhaps stability issues as hey, there is a primary reason for it to remain disabled.

k49zwMh.jpg.png

As it now seems, Level1Techs tested this with Zen processors by running an adapted script that sends FMA4 instructions to the processor. The FMA4 task fired off at the processor surprisingly did not get refused and got executed successfully. It's an interesting find. Meanwhile, CPUID still states it is not supported/detected.

zw2GztH.jpg.png
Sources: Level1Techs / Guru3D

Lo guys, so i have turned to the red team for the first time in 10 years, got a 2700x and Asus rog strix x470-F. All went smoothly but im at a loss at all the options in the bios, my temps seem pretty high at 70c in Cinebench and 55c in basic games ive tested.

I have a pretty beefy cooler in the Thermalright Macho but im surprised at how much the temps fluctuate on this chip, idle can be anywhere from 35 to 50c. Im a n00b clocker so what should i be looking at to get the temps down but boost still high?

PS: Ive set windows to balanced power so the EDC is thankfully not at 105% :eek:

Back
Top Bottom