Cleaned the old:

31220554808_73c7784d41_c.jpg

Insulated the new:

44137621635_7073f585bd_c.jpg

44633959524_d3d827a2a4_c.jpg

44633959744_6e203cf6d0_c.jpg

44443634205_c47d94a18a_c.jpg

Associate
Picked up this nice little winter project for cheap, Toyota 5E-FHE engine from a Toyota Sera which are becoming very rare. Comes with higher lift cams which are worth a bit. Project is to forge it and then put it into my Starlet with hybrid TD04 for 300+ BHP. Would have taken the Sera which it came out of if I had the space.
ocofKJjl.jpg

Man of Honour
Picked up this nice little winter project for cheap, Toyota 5E-FHE engine from a Toyota Sera which are becoming very rare. Comes with higher lift cams which are worth a bit. Project is to forge it and then put it into my Starlet with hybrid TD04 for 300+ BHP. Would have taken the Sera which it came out of if I had the space.
ocofKJjl.jpg

I'd be surprised if you made much over 300hp on any form of TD04 tbh, even the biggest HL-19T runs out of flow about there on most engines

Associate
I'd be surprised if you made much over 300hp on any form of TD04 tbh, even the biggest HL-19T runs out of flow about there on most engines
http://www.s314kba.co.uk/leaderboard/

Lots of people on there making around 300bhp on billet TD04 with the 1.5l and the 1.3l engine. If I get 300 I will be happy. Until I get used to it and then go to something bigger :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Fitted a brink detachable towbar to the pug 3008. Doesn't seem right though, when towbar is locked into place its way to close to the bumper, can't even fit anything to the towbar??? I'm really confused.

The bar that fits to the chassis is already on the car when I bought it, it was just the towing neck that was missing. The bracket and everything lines up, so the actual bar must be correct.

Caporegime
Fitted a brink detachable towbar to the pug 3008. Doesn't seem right though, when towbar is locked into place its way to close to the bumper, can't even fit anything to the towbar??? I'm really confused.

The bar that fits to the chassis is already on the car when I bought it, it was just the towing neck that was missing. The bracket and everything lines up, so the actual bar must be correct.
Neck too short by the sound of it,are you sure you’ve got the correct one? it needs plenty of clearance from the bumper especially if you need to do tight manoeuvring.

Man of Honour
19T's top out at about 350 on B235's

I'm surprised, TD04L hotside has completely choked around 290hp on an MX5 engine, the HL turbine isn't that much bigger and the displacement increase in the Saab is going to be turbine limited sooner.

http://www.s314kba.co.uk/leaderboard/

Lots of people on there making around 300bhp on billet TD04 with the 1.5l and the 1.3l engine. If I get 300 I will be happy. Until I get used to it and then go to something bigger :D

Thats around where I'd expect actually. There is a relatively cheap drop in replacement for a TD04 that's capable of 360-380hp

Soldato
In all seriousness though it's a styling nod back to Japanese 70's (Think Datsun Z) and 80's coupes (AE86 etc) who used louvres as a way to keep the sun out of the cabin due to the long sloping rear windows. It's not to everyones taste I know, they're very much a Marmite kind of thing. But it's my car, and I like them. :)

Yup, the 1980's are on the phone, someone's nicked the louvres off their MK1 cavalier :D

Man of Honour
Out of curiosity, what's the furthest someone has gone (roughly) on a stock early 1.6 or 1.8? :)
I assume that's aimed at me and MX5s?

I've reliably made 280bhp twice on stock mk2 1.8s

First engine suffered a non catastrophic failure at 300bhp/265ft-lbs (Bent rods, lost compression but everything still inside the block) and I think with a couple of degrees of timing pulled out at peak torque it would have survived

Man of Honour
Comical moment of yesterday was the bimbo with a dashcam recording everyone else whilst constantly looking down at her phone while in traffic. At one point she nearly drove into parked cars because she was so busy looking down whilst creeping ahead slowly. Sadly a police car even drove passed, but of course didn't see anything.

Had another dashcam driver in front of me not once use their indicator at any roundabout. Starting to notice that the dashcam brigade are the biggest culprits.

Caporegime
Comical moment of yesterday was the bimbo with a dashcam recording everyone else whilst constantly looking down at her phone while in traffic. At one point she nearly drove into parked cars because she was so busy looking down whilst creeping ahead slowly. Sadly a police car even drove passed, but of course didn't see anything.

Had another dashcam driver in front of me not once use their indicator at any roundabout. Starting to notice that the dashcam brigade are the biggest culprits.

Tallies with my experiences too. Dashcam brigade all too often driving like complete morons.

Associate
Had my car in at The Exhaust Doctor to get an 'E' marked euro 4 spec 200 cell sports cat welded into my 3" turbo back exhaust system on my Megane R26. I had the cat welded in on v-bands and a decat pipe also made up on v-bands so that they are easily interchangeable.

The quality of the work and welds are extremely good

DSC-0107.jpg

DSC-0108.jpg

DSC-0111.jpg

Associate
Had my car in at The Exhaust Doctor to get an 'E' marked euro 4 spec 200 cell sports cat welded into my 3" turbo back exhaust system on my Megane R26. I had the cat welded in on v-bands and a decat pipe also made up on v-bands so that they are easily interchangeable.

The quality of the work and welds are extremely good

DSC-0107.jpg

DSC-0108.jpg

DSC-0111.jpg
I'm thinking of doing that for obvious MOT reasons as I currently have to drive about an hour to get my car tested. If you don't mind me asking how much was the whole lot?

Associate
I'm thinking of doing that for obvious MOT reasons as I currently have to drive about an hour to get my car tested. If you don't mind me asking how much was the whole lot?

I bought the sports cat and v-bands from Darkside Developments for £260ish, then paid £90 to get them welded in and the decat pipe made. You can get cheaper sports cats but hopefully with this one being a decent spec one it passes the MOT OK.

Back
Top Bottom