**** The Official Huawei Mate 20/Mate 20 Pro Thread ****

Recently announced from Huawei,

Mate 20 - https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_20-9367.php

Mate 20 Pro - https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_20_pro-9343.php

Mate 20x - https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_20_x-9369.php

Also Huawei are running a promotion, if you preorder a Mate 20 Pro you can claim a Free Huawei GT smart watch and wireless charger which seems like a pretty sweet deal, the watch is boasting a 12 day battery life which uses it's own OS rather than googles.

I'm personally interested in the Mate 20x which has 7.2" screen and 5,000Mah battery, it seems to be pitched as a gaming device, apparently there is going to be controller available (analogue stick and buttons) and can be attached to the phone, it will be the first phone to use graphene for cooling, I actually don't think it will 'too big', I purchased an Honor 8x for my GF today and was very surprised how compact it was for a 6.5" device due to the bezel-less design, and these days we are consuming so much media on our phones.

One other thing, I've got very used to using the finger print sensor for logging into my apps, banking etc, but recently read that the new underscreen biometric reader won't (initially at least) be compatible these apps, that is something you might want to take into consideration.

Which one are you guys temped by?

Last edited:
Soldato
Speaker coming out of the usb port is funky.

I really like this phone but they went downhill with the curved screen and super tall aspect ratio. Too skinny and tall.

This phone is a geeks dream. Specced to the roof tops. Im happy they left their branding off the front too.

I am still kinda tempted as I get get one super reasonable £. But I think I'll stay 3XL.

Soldato
Hardware looks lovely but as usual it's the software that puts me off. It doesn't have to be vanilla Android, but a consistent and reliable updates policy would help.

Caporegime
One other thing, I've got very used to using the finger print sensor for logging into my apps, banking etc, but recently read that the new underscreen biometric reader won't (initially at least) be compatible these apps, that is something you might want to take into consideration.

Think I read the other day that the optical method of reading that they do isn't deemed secure enough, but I might be wrong. Can't quite remember where I read it.

Soldato
Think I read the other day that the optical method of reading that they do isn't deemed secure enough, but I might be wrong. Can't quite remember where I read it.
Someone mentioned over on one of the other threads (OP6 or Pixel 3) that the in display scanner is in house work from Huawei/OnePlus and Google has no API for it. I wouldn't be surprised if Google just point blank refused to let it work with Google Pay. That would certainly be a good way to sway more people away from those 2 handsets.

Associate
I am very tempted myself, reading above that the watch is laggy puts a downer on my enthusiasm though.

Debating between this, the Pixel 3 XL or the OnePlus 6/6T at the moment.

Soldato

Which one are you guys temped by?
It had my attention until I saw this. I guess the sensor isn't using the android Fingerprint Authentication api then and some custom affair? I'd take software/os compatibility over a screenbased fingerprint reader anyday. Guess I'll have to wait for the S10 then to see what Sammy brings to the table.

Soldato
Probably going to grab a Pro as work will pay for the contract.

Nearly got a Mi Mix 2s, but need to have it on a monthly deal for work to pay .

Not a fan of a curved front but can't knock everything else about it, although the fingerprint thing with Google pay could be annoying. Will do a good clmparison with the standard mate 20 and aee how I feel .

Looking forward to having wireless charging again, especially as we're fitting some pads in the kitchen worktops for pure feel good geek pointlessness :p

Associate
Personally I think this phone looks amazing and I've ordered one!

I don't understand the concerns with Google Pay, I use it on my Note 9 all the time without using the fingerprint reader. Am I missing something?

I agree the watch looks a little laggy, but it was pointed out on one of the videos I watched that it's not on final hardware/software yet so could be fixed.

Associate
I was also excited by this phone but the custom fingerprint reader has put me off unfortunately, app compatibility is a major point for me as I use my phone for work also. I use my fingerprint with banking/finance apps and lastpass (I have many many passwords auto generated with max complexity).

I love Android and have been using it for years, it's these little things that drive me up the wall. Guess I will stick with my Pixel 2Xl, had a PIxel 3 on order but cancelled as I didn't see a major jump.

I've never used the Huawei phones before but regular software and security updates are mandatory for me. Does anyone have real experience of updates for an unlocked (not carrier model)?

Sadly, cancelled my pre-order. Will wait for the reviews as I don't need a watch I won't use. This looks like the bargain of the century compared to the Pixel and iPhone XS

I was also excited by this phone but the custom fingerprint reader has put me off unfortunately, app compatibility is a major point for me as I use my phone for work also. I use my fingerprint with banking/finance apps and lastpass (I have many many passwords auto generated with max complexity).

The standard Mate 20 and 20x both have rear mounted finger print sensors just in case you was unaware, one of the main reasons I'm going for the 20x, plus the 5000mAH battery!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom