Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Man of Honour
Does anyone know what the 'Elemental Buildup' stat does on various bits of armour by any chance? At the moment I've moved from a Poison to Fire build despite setting myself on fire at every opportunity. This was because I grabbed a large FIRE mace weapon off a merc last night. It is a bit slow but really hurts when it lands!

IF I'm right...its to do with how quickly the elemental affect takes to , well...for want of a better term..build up. For example you can set someone on fire and do burning damage as well as the initial fire damage, you can intoxicate (probably not the right word) someone with poison, as well as the initial poison damage. But to get those extra effects you have to build up the damage on them. So , as an example, if you poison someone 5 times in a row then they also get the intoxicated effect, if you hit someone 5 times with fire damage they become on fire. The elemental build up reduces how much you need to do that in order to intoxicate/flame on , them. Or at least, that's how I've assumed it to mean.

Man of Honour
OP
Well I didn't realise that. I thought once they were poisoned it was job done. What does intoxicated do?

I must say, previous AC games I have always used a sword. This time I am loving the heavy bladed weapons.

Associate
Poison doesn't seem to do much for me... doesn't do much damage and certainly doesn't seem to affect the enemies armour that much as they still seem to take similar amounts of damage.

Fire on the other hand seems to do lots of damage with the caveat it can burn you as well (easily fixed with a quick dive and roll).

Anyone else know what is up with the Poison/Intoxicated effects?

Shawrey

Man of Honour
OP
Poison doesn't seem to do much for me... doesn't do much damage and certainly doesn't seem to affect the enemies armour that much as they still seem to take similar amounts of damage.

Fire on the other hand seems to do lots of damage with the caveat it can burn you as well (easily fixed with a quick dive and roll).

Shawrey

Poison seems to affect some enemies more than others. It should reduce their armour and attacks. I tried fire, it is pretty, but I ended up catching on fire more often than not.

Soldato

Shawrey

Base poison damage is just that, applying poison damage on top of normal weapon damage. If you intoxicate an enemy they will have reduced armour and be able to do less damage.

I find both useful. Against human enemies flames is nice and most my best weapons are engraved with permanent fire and additional fire damage, more so a bunch of lower armour / tier enemy mobs. But against animals in particular, poison is nice as they always seem to rush at you setting you on fire also when using fire damage. Against heavy enemies poison is also nice to reduce the damage in case you do get hit, in particular on the harder modes where boss's can whittle you down with few hits.

Soldato
Poison also stops enemies from healing up, which is excellent. I find it a lot better than fire from what I've seen so far. In order for Fire/Poison to fully take hold, if anyone wasn't sure is to repeatedly hit the enemy until that circular icon fills up. It then changes to a circular progress bar with a xx duration attached to it to show how long the DoT (damage over time) will be on said enemy.

3Y93Irq.jpg

Edit: Just hit Lv50 (current lvl cap) and am still gaining XP so I guess like Origins they will raise it at some point with the DLC.

Last edited:
Soldato
Might be a stupid question but how do I make my weapons have the ability to poison or set people on fire like the above? Is it a perk I need?
Go to a blacksmith and you can use the engravings you get from legendary weapons, also you can add fire weapons from the ability tree and if you do the master arrow ability you can create, poison, fire, explosive and death arrows.

Soldato
I would understand if it was a copy and paste job, but it isn’t.
Possible they ended up doing a bunch of mission board quests and / or radiant quests. Lots of copy and pasts elements with those IMO.

Yeah the smaller quests on the mission boards are copy and paste. I had twice to go and kill a Senator and he was at the exact same place both time, and never moved from there either ! :mad:

I did found out something when doing this mission twice. First time I killed the target with an arrow, the people around him got a bit upset but never left the area and soon calmed down. So I thought I can go down and carry him away before confirming the kill, but no such option. So when confirming the kill, they all got upset and suddenly had a bounty on me and a mercenary come running.

Second time I just knocked him out, once again hoping I could carry him away while knocked out, but nope. The good thing though, by knocking him out all the people ran away, and out of sight, so could do the confirm kill and actually kill him then and no bounty since no one was around to see it ! :eek: :p

Found that a bit strange though, someone get killed and they still hanging around the area, you knock someone out, and they all run away ?? :confused: :p

Caporegime
I'm on the fence about buying this. How similar to The Witcher 3 (I know, I know) is it, in terms of scale and depth? The reviews seem to slam the levelling system with many commentators indicating that even enemies one level above your own are really hard work. Other than IGN giving it very high marks, most reviews seem to be in the 'Recommended' band rather than the 'Must Buy' band.

Thoughts?

Man of Honour
The reviews seem to slam the levelling system with many commentators indicating that even enemies one level above your own are really hard work

Filed in the waaa, waaaaaa, its too tough, I cant massacre enemies folder :)

Imo, its the best AC titled game to date, I actually prefer it to Witcher 3, though W3 is still awesome too.

Oh, and ignore the reviewers , they are all just angry that they couldnt blast through the game quickly and be FIRST ON THE INTERWEBZ with their reviews. Just browse through this thread and you'll see a few people saying they wished they hadnt listened to the reviewer negativity. At the end of the day, if you're worried then wait for it to appear in a sale, but dont blame me if with only 2 months left of the year you miss out on one of the best games of 2018 :p

Man of Honour
OP
I'm on the fence about buying this. How similar to The Witcher 3 (I know, I know) is it, in terms of scale and depth? The reviews seem to slam the levelling system with many commentators indicating that even enemies one level above your own are really hard work. Other than IGN giving it very high marks, most reviews seem to be in the 'Recommended' band rather than the 'Must Buy' band.

Thoughts?

Ignore the reviews. If you master the combat system you can take on enemies many levels above you.

Soldato

Thoughts?

I still prefer Witcher 3 to this, but its a fantastic game in its own right and being only slightly behind witcher 3 in my own stack is not a bad thing as for me W3 set the bar very high. The combat can be slightly tricky at the start as things do level up with you, at least on the harder difficulties, but once you get used to it, its pretty straight forward and as other's say, your fine to take on enemies no issue.

The world in terms of scale is massive, but not quiet as deep (some parts are big for the sake of it IMO) but there is a lot of variation and fun to be had. Graphics wise, it does look very pretty and sound wise its also very nice. Similarly the primary story and quests are great in this game compared to amazing in witcher 3. The Radiant quests fall down here compared to say Monster contract's in witcher 3, but still fun to be had.

Overall it is an extremely fun game with lots to do. If your someone who likes to chase all the question marks like me, there is soo much. Right now sitting at 80 hours with only 24% of the game done :o

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Thinking of buying this but it would be my first Assassins Creed game? Loved the Witcher 3. Do you need to have played any of the previous AC?

Soldato
Witcher 3 is on a different level but Origins/Odyssysey beats it for combat - hell it's never been a strongpoint of CD Projeckt games tbh.

I have to say after finishing the Arena I am hugely dissappointed. The Origins version was a million miles better fleshed out, to the point where I re-played it loads. The Odyssey arena is much smaller and lacks set piece variance between waves that made the Origins version so much fun. I can't see myself returning to it unless Ubisoft add more competition to it.

Soldato
I'd say the Witcher 3 has nicer sidequests and monster contracts but the world itself and mechanics not a bloody chance.

I found Witcher's story rather poor for all the hype so I won't comment on that but that doesn't leave too much stuff for the game to truly excel at apart from sidequests if someone doesn't dig the story.

AC story sucks as well but I did expect it to suck unlike Witcher. However, the settings and how they incorporate actual historical figures are vastly more interesting. Plus, I like climbing everything:p

Associate
I did 2 full playthroughs of the Witcher 3 and now I wish that I had picked up one of these games sooner. It's such a joy to move in 3 dimensions, so much more open, fewer cutscenes and really stunning visually.

Back
Top Bottom