Assassin's Creed Odyssey

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Thanks all. Next question. PC with 1080Ti and 35" Ultrawide or PS4 Pro or Xbox One X on Samsung KS7000 55" ? 1st world problems :p Got to admit I've been enjoying gaming on the sofa with a controller recently however if it's much better on PC.....

Man of Honour
Plus, I like climbing everything:p

Funnily enough, its essentially this reason as to why I put Origins and Odyssey above Witcher 3. Since playing Origins, I've gone back and tried to play Witcher 3 but its the lack of parkour since playing Origins, that kills it for me. I didnt really notice it the first time I played Witcher 3 when it originally came out but going back I just find myself getting irritated that my uber monster slaying super fit , highly combatant Witcher cant climb up a wall or cliff-face or leap up to a building and jump from roof to roof. So despite W3 having the edge on questing I actually find AC Origins + Odyssey simply more fun to play.

Associate
Completed the main story and got the happy ending somehow. Still got a few cultists to hunt down and 2 more Atlantis pieces to find.

Now just moving island to island trying to 100% each one.

Soldato
Funnily enough, its essentially this reason as to why I put Origins and Odyssey above Witcher 3. Since playing Origins, I've gone back and tried to play Witcher 3 but its the lack of parkour since playing Origins, that kills it for me. I didnt really notice it the first time I played Witcher 3 when it originally came out but going back I just find myself getting irritated that my uber monster slaying super fit , highly combatant Witcher cant climb up a wall or cliff-face or leap up to a building and jump from roof to roof. So despite W3 having the edge on questing I actually find AC Origins + Odyssey simply more fun to play.

Yeah, it's a big deal for me as well. I mean, I liked W3 and have put around 150h into it and expansions but it didn't do anything extraordinarily well apart from questing and many of its mechanics were flawed. Odyssey and Origins aren't perfect by any means but, like you, I have more fun with them and that has a lot to do with the setting/parkour etc.

Regarding the above question, I play everything with a controller:p

Man of Honour
OP

Not only can you not climb anything, but Geralt gets stuck in plenty of places to. The freedom of Origins and Odyssey sets it above the Witcher 3 for me in terms of gameplay fun. Now that they have added RPG elements, and hopefully continue to develop them, the AC series is now right at the top of my favourite games to play.

Some of the side quest chains are fantastic. I was just about to head on from Athens when a side quest popped up on some island opening up a big chain of events. It is almost difficult to decide what to do next.

Soldato
Thanks all. Next question. PC with 1080Ti and 35" Ultrawide or PS4 Pro or Xbox One X on Samsung KS7000 55" ? 1st world problems :p Got to admit I've been enjoying gaming on the sofa with a controller recently however if it's much better on PC.....

How about mixed, using a controller on the PC :p XBOX 1 controller maps perfectly, but get benefits of your powerful components and game loads quicker and what have you. But I will say, I also have a HTPC in the Living room (1080Ti and 8700k) on the same sort of TV, and game mode + HDR while sitting back on the sofa is bliss, why half my screenshots are 21:9 and others 16:9 as I just wonder between the different rooms to play.

You guys prefer KB+M or Controller for playing this? Just updating video drivers then going to boot it up :)

Xbox 1 pad, game works perfectly with the pad IMO. But all personal preference. Would try both.

Soldato
Purchased this at launch (standard edition) via Uplay.

Just started to really enjoy it so insta purchased the season pass.

On my rig (in sig). Performance on very high (with volumentric clouds down to medium) brings in about 55 to 60 fps on average at 3440 x 1440. I lock FPS at 55, and it feels smooth as butter.

CPU still take a bit of a hammering, but performance is better than origins for me.

Associate
Oh, they have cancelled the live event. Not a great start :p

https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/1052652788243726338

At least it was an amusing announcement :)

Wondered why it hadn't popped up despite getting the update to say the event was live within the GUI.

I was checking the message boards on islands and on the ship (where they are supposed to show) and wondered why it wasn't popping up. Currently at lvl 34 and on Chapter 5. Most likely going to be 50 way before end game as too busy side questing and exploring.

Shawrey

Caporegime
Well, I took the plunge and after it refusing to load from start up - apparently, MSI afterburner is the issue at launch but not when you load the game and then run it after that, so WTF - and after some tedious UPlay or whatever, the game is actually very, very fun. Like, REALLY fun. I have no idea how the map works which is annoying me because this is my first AC and I'm sure it is ingrained in not-new-to-series-players but I've got zero idea where to go and the indicators are awful.

Also took me a while to realise that the reason I can't jump is because I can go up vertically. This is SO much fun and unexpected. Oh, see thing in distance? Just climb all of those things and go there! So liberating.

Graphics are good, character (Kass) is great so far, lip-synch is meh, sense of scale is large. For anyone else on the cusp like I was earlier, dive in :)

Man of Honour
OP
Well, I took the plunge and after it refusing to load from start up - apparently, MSI afterburner is the issue at launch but not when you load the game and then run it after that, so WTF - and after some tedious UPlay or whatever, the game is actually very, very fun. Like, REALLY fun. I have no idea how the map works which is annoying me because this is my first AC and I'm sure it is ingrained in not-new-to-series-players but I've got zero idea where to go and the indicators are awful.

Also took me a while to realise that the reason I can't jump is because I can go up vertically. This is SO much fun and unexpected. Oh, see thing in distance? Just climb all of those things and go there! So liberating.

Graphics are good, character (Kass) is great so far, lip-synch is meh, sense of scale is large. For anyone else on the cusp like I was earlier, dive in :)

No issue with Afterburner here.

The great thing is that the game gets better and better too :)

Plenty about the game isn't explained well. It isn't even an AC thing, the games have changed somewhat recently.

Soldato
Yeah, it's a big deal for me as well. I mean, I liked W3 and have put around 150h into it and expansions but it didn't do anything extraordinarily well apart from questing and many of its mechanics were flawed. Odyssey and Origins aren't perfect by any means but, like you, I have more fun with them and that has a lot to do with the setting/parkour etc.

Regarding the above question, I play everything with a controller:p

You just have to remember W3 came first and the AC games have clearly taken inspiration from it. It still holds up well today on every level yet it's years old.

Soldato
I honestly just wanted the W3 to be over by the end, they couldn't have drawn it out more if they tried.
I felt that way about W3 too (not the expansions) and feel the same with Odyssey. 72hrs in and unlike Origins, I am rushing through the boring dialogue on some of the main island quests (yellow diamond) because it is the same tired formula "someone has a stronghold on this island etc, kill him but find the clues to his whereabouts first". A lot of the caves feel like the exact same layout too. I do enjoy running into the first civ stuff though - it truly is excellent in this game.

So far the best quest I've come across involved "FEAR MY MOO!"

Soldato
I felt that way about W3 too (not the expansions) and feel the same with Odyssey. 72hrs in and unlike Origins, I am rushing through the boring dialogue on some of the main island quests (yellow diamond) because it is the same tired formula "someone has a stronghold on this island etc, kill him but find the clues to his whereabouts first". A lot of the caves feel like the exact same layout too. I do enjoy running into the first civ stuff though - it truly is excellent in this game.

So far the best quest I've come across involved "FEAR MY MOO!"

I think origins got it right in this regards. World was smaller but more intricate and compact. World here at times is copy and paste in particular caves you mentioned, a lot which are copies and pasted. Rocks and features in same spots.

Partly why at 80 hours, level 50 for ages I have not touched quests. Still not done chapter 3, getting most crap stuff out the way as completionist in me would give up other way around imo.

Love the game, but think there is a lot of useless stuff for sake of it, though origins did also have lots of question marks for sake of it also.

Soldato
What really grinds my gears though is that this game has a thing where you would be clearing out an outpost and there would be ONE chest that you can't get to because it is behind a door and can only be accessed by another quest much later on. It would be nice if Kass would say something like "I cannot access this right now, maybe I can later?" in order to stop the player (yours truly) from spending 20mins or so looking for a hidden enterance to said chest because I need my 100% completion for outpost!

Back
Top Bottom