**** The Official Huawei Mate 20/Mate 20 Pro Thread ****

Associate
One other thing, I've got very used to using the finger print sensor for logging into my apps, banking etc, but recently read that the new underscreen biometric reader won't (initially at least) be compatible these apps, that is something you might want to take into consideration.
please do you have any idea where you read this?

Soldato
Like androids take on faceid, I'd be surprised if either the gen1 or gen2 indisplay fingerprint scanners will get much support. Qualcomms gen3 will probably be ok but that's not out till next year.

Soldato
Like androids take on faceid, I'd be surprised if either the gen1 or gen2 indisplay fingerprint scanners will get much support. Qualcomms gen3 will probably be ok but that's not out till next year.
I thought about that and it doesn't make that much difference to me. Just banking apps and I can live with it.

Roll on next Friday. I'm way more excited to get this than the 3XL for some reason. My first Huawei.

Caporegime
Mate 20 and Mate 20 Pro are both on my radar but I'm waiting for reviews and the OP 6T release before deciding which way to go.

Love my Nexus 6P and never had a days trouble so I'm happy with Huawei already despite never owning one of their own phones.

Soldato
From Pocket-Lint

"At our initial briefing we queried Huawei if the in-screen scanner would have the same issues as its Porsche Design Mate RS equivalent, i.e. that it won't work for every possible instance. Although the company said this would be the case, it's not: upon our second time with the Mate 20 Pro we signed into our AMEX UK app and assigned fingerprint login successfully, the same with Google Pay. Which is great news as it's the first time we've seen an in-screen fingerprint scanner that can be used just like a physical one, it seems. We'll be reviewing this more thoroughly as we live with the phone to see if there are any foibles."

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/...-mate-20-pro-review-specs-best-flagship-phone

Associate
From Pocket-Lint

"At our initial briefing we queried Huawei if the in-screen scanner would have the same issues as its Porsche Design Mate RS equivalent, i.e. that it won't work for every possible instance. Although the company said this would be the case, it's not: upon our second time with the Mate 20 Pro we signed into our AMEX UK app and assigned fingerprint login successfully, the same with Google Pay. Which is great news as it's the first time we've seen an in-screen fingerprint scanner that can be used just like a physical one, it seems. We'll be reviewing this more thoroughly as we live with the phone to see if there are any foibles."

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/...-mate-20-pro-review-specs-best-flagship-phone
Great news

Associate
From Pocket-Lint

Great news, my pre-order is back on, will keep the pixel 2XL as my spare, it's dropped so much in value over the last year it's not worth selling .

This phone does look amazing

Associate
Will the Mate 20 Pro be easy to root?

After the pre-orders with the watch/charger are over, will the phone be available straight afterwards on its own (SIM free) at a cheaper price?

Thanks.

Soldato
Gesture navigation on EMUI9 looks way better than the 'pill' based system on Pixel phones, even if it is a bit of a rip off of iOS. The fingerprint scanner also appears to work pretty quickly, so as long as it works with all apps thats nice.

One thing I've noticed from a few videos though, you don't appear to get many notifications up there with the cutout/notch being quite wide.

These phones are Android Enterprise recommended so they have to get regular updates.

True but,

"Android Enterprise Recommended helps ensure devices are up to date with regular security patches delivered within 90 days. Android Enterprise Recommended devices are also guaranteed to get at least one additional major OS update"

Associate
Had a quick play with one in a cpwh on my lunch break. Quite a nice looking phone. Didn't feel as nippy as I thought it would be but maybe that was something to do with the demo software running in the background. I'm just not a fan curved screens.

Soldato
Gesture navigation on EMUI9 looks way better than the 'pill' based system on Pixel phones, even if it is a bit of a rip off of iOS. The fingerprint scanner also appears to work pretty quickly, so as long as it works with all apps thats nice.

One thing I've noticed from a few videos though, you don't appear to get many notifications up there with the cutout/notch being quite wide.

I noticed their gestures system too, looks just as slick as apples implementation.

Plus dark mode to boot.

Soldato
Had a look at one in an EE store today.

I was tempted but it doesn't offer enough to upgrade from my Mate 10 Pro. Once the notch is turned off, the screen area is pretty similar whereas I was hoping for something a little bigger.

I also have concerns over software updates as well as how long it'll hold its value. The Mate 10 Pro dropped drastically within a few months and it seemed Huawei then focused on the P20 Pro.

Back
Top Bottom