Luke Cage - Netflix September 30th

Soldato
Really enjoyed the first until the mid point, then it fell on it's ass and was a real struggle to get through the rest of the season. Is there anything in season 2 that comes close to being good as any scenes from the first starring Mahershala Ali?

Soldato
Finished it last night and not sure where they'll go for S3 regarding Luke's ark now he's 'on top' Mariah's daughter I don't think has the chops to be the new 'big bad' next season.

Soundtrack was great all the way through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Struggling with season 2, the first season was alright up to the last few, this one has started slow and with those jamaiJam guys im finding it hard to hear what they are saying, I'm only about 4/5 in but feel like I might not bother with the rest.

Soldato
I've only watched S02E01-02 but it's not really grabbing me so far. The Jamaica accent is really hard to understand from all the characters. However, what really annoyed me was the near constant use of the N-word throughout. It seemed to be every other word in the first episode and was really jarring. It also just screams hypocrisy at me that a mainstream program like Luke Cage can use it with abandon but if it's used once in a 'white' show then it's "To Twitter my outraged minions!"

Soldato
I've been bingeing on this since finishing Jessica Jones and it's awesome. Bushmaster is possibly now one of my fave "villains" ever. Love the Capoeira stuff and the actor playing him is really intense.

Great that Netflix are taking the initiative making shows like this with proper, well rounded characters and stories rather than the ridiculous practice of shoehorning particular demographics into existing characters.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm halfway through the second season and there are definitely some issues. The relationship between Mariah and Shades is just weird, they have no chemistry and there's a 17-18 year age gap between them; the scenes where musicians play at Harlem's Paradise have become more cynical, they seem very much like a way to promote previously little-known musicians rather than fitting within the scene or episode like they did in season one; there's some pretty blatant Nike product placement; and the production values seem lower on this than some of the better Marvel Netflix stuff.

Soldato
I've just finished this.

Another Marvel/Netflix production that could have been so much better simply by being shorter. It's becoming a theme. Cut it down to 8 hours and I'd give it an 8/10. As it stands, 5/10. Enjoyable in parts, really boring in others.

Caporegime
I liked it (esp Bushmaster, thought he was pretty awesome and relatable). It did drag a bit though and seemed to go round in circles, would have been better as a 10-ep series (possibly a tight 8 or 9).

Back
Top Bottom