Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

Associate
Got a few questions about another upgrade. I have bought another Samsung Evo 2TB and a stick of Kingston Hyper X 16GB.

1, When upgrading the SSD, should I just wipe the original 512GB ssd or can I move windows onto the existing 970 evo that is currently the storage drive.

2, Once I have the 2 samsung ssd's installed do I need to keep the 512GB ssd that came with the aero 5 x, or can this be sold without affecting warranty?

Would appreciate your input :)

Associate
@baloney Can you please advise if it is possible to have multiple monitors running via the Thunderbolt 3 port? I currently have a Caldigit TS3+ dock plugged in to the laptops TB3 port. This dock has 2 monitors attached - one DisplayPort -- Displayport and the other TB3 -- HDMI

However, the laptop will only recognize one or the other of the monitors, never both at the same time. Is the only to get multiple monitors to work on the Aero 15x to plug them in to different physical ports on the laptop itself?

I'd been hoping that I could just plug power and TB3 dock in each time and everything would work.

Associate
@baloney Can you please advise if it is possible to have multiple monitors running via the Thunderbolt 3 port? I currently have a Caldigit TS3+ dock plugged in to the laptops TB3 port. This dock has 2 monitors attached - one DisplayPort -- Displayport and the other TB3 -- HDMI

However, the laptop will only recognize one or the other of the monitors, never both at the same time. Is the only to get multiple monitors to work on the Aero 15x to plug them in to different physical ports on the laptop itself?

I'd been hoping that I could just plug power and TB3 dock in each time and everything would work.

Any luck with / word on this? I'm about to move to a new place and plan to set up a work desk with a couple of external monitors.

Associate
Any luck with / word on this? I'm about to move to a new place and plan to set up a work desk with a couple of external monitors.

I've had no response from Gigabyte, but the only way I've got it to work was to plug the 2nd monitor in directly to the HDMI port on the laptop. That works fine, just not ideal.

Associate
Hi @baloney @Atom80 ,

Do you guys have a line to the people developing smart manager?
If so, is there any way you can ask them to lift some of the power restrictions when smart manager's fan settings are set to 'quiet'?

Right now if the fans are set to quiet mode the CPU package power gets restricted to 15-17W https://i.postimg.cc/g0sc07Qp/screenshot-45.png after a couple seconds, and if the dedicated GPU is active its memory clocks are capped to 400MHz regardless of load. (https://i.postimg.cc/G2NC8njW/screenshot-46.png ) Max practical power draw seems to be around 32W (furmark) for the dedicated GPU in this mode. When both CPU and GPU are loaded this is about 49W. Temperature for me max out around 65C. The CPU TDP cap + GPU memory cap seems to be the way smart manager's quiet fan mode has always worked for the aero 15 v7 and v8 models.

Obviously the intent of quiet fan mode is clear, the power limits are in place to prevent the machine from baking and allows the fans to spin up less aggressively. I think the quiet mode is rather successful at this goal. But in every other fan mode these power restrictions do not exist. For example, I can set the fans to 'customize -> fixed 30%': and in this mode the fans are virtually silent and not effective at all, yet the power caps are lifted and I can run the hardware at 50W + 90W at 90C forever if I really wanted to.

This is sort of paradoxical.
The 'quiet' mode tries to be the quietest by shutting the fans off at idle and ramping them up slowly, and limits performance while doing so.
The 'fixed 30%' fan mode is actually quieter at any amount of load, but the fans do not turn off at idle, and performance is not limited at all.

The 'normal', 'gaming', and 'auto: maximum' fan modes are too aggressive for daily use imo and when idle the fans still spin up, which is why I prefer quiet mode. I just really dislike the performance limiting.
Deep-fan curve mode also forces the fan to be 30% speed minimum, so they never shuts them off.

What I am really asking for is this:
Some optional way (an additional switch or secret button) to raise the 'quiet' fan mode power limits: cpu a little higher (20W? 25W?) and remove the gpu memory clock cap
Or allow us to turn off the fans in deep-fan mode.

The same thing can be achieved manually (quiet mode when not doing much, manually set fans to fixed 45-50% for load) but it would be much nicer to not have to do this every time.
Pretty please?

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi @baloney @Atom80 ,

If so, is there any way you can ask them to lift some of the power restrictions when smart manager's fan settings are set to 'quiet'?

Right now if the fans are set to quiet mode the CPU package power gets restricted to 15-17W https://i.postimg.cc/g0sc07Qp/screenshot-45.png after a couple seconds, and if the dedicated GPU is active its memory clocks are capped to 400MHz regardless of load. (https://i.postimg.cc/G2NC8njW/screenshot-46.png ) Max practical power draw seems to be around 32W (furmark) for the dedicated GPU in this mode. When both CPU and GPU are loaded this is about 49W. Temperature for me max out around 65C. The CPU TDP cap + GPU memory cap seems to be the way smart manager's quiet fan mode has always worked for the aero 15 v7 and v8 models.

Obviously the intent of quiet fan mode is clear, the power limits are in place to prevent the machine from baking and allows the fans to spin up less aggressively. I think the quiet mode is rather successful at this goal. But in every other fan mode these power restrictions do not exist. For example, I can set the fans to 'customize -> fixed 30%': and in this mode the fans are virtually silent and not effective at all, yet the power caps are lifted and I can run the hardware at 50W + 90W at 90C forever if I really wanted to.

The 'quiet' mode tries to be the quietest by shutting the fans off at idle and ramping them up slowly, and limits performance while doing so.
The 'fixed 30%' fan mode is actually quieter at any amount of load, but the fans do not turn off at idle, and performance is not limited at all.

The 'normal', 'gaming', and 'auto: maximum' fan modes are too aggressive for daily use imo and when idle the fans still spin up, which is why I prefer quiet mode. I just really dislike the performance limiting.
Deep-fan curve mode also forces the fan to be 30% speed minimum, so they never shuts them off.

Some optional way (an additional switch or secret button) to raise the 'quiet' fan mode power limits: cpu a little higher (20W? 25W?) and remove the gpu memory clock cap

The same thing can be achieved manually (quiet mode when not doing much, manually set fans to fixed 45-50% for load) but it would be much nicer to not have to do this every time.
Pretty please?

Hi @margroloc - forwarded post to R&D this morning, and our main contact had already seen your post :)

The short version of the reply is: "Actually, the customer had already got the solution for his requirement."

"Currently, we recommend the customer to use the customised fan control in Smart Manager to ensure both silent fan and unlimited Performance. We would not only need to change the design of software setting, but would also need some modification in firmware if we want to implement additional performance control. Our R&D will study this suggestion but not promise the schedule of change"

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I need a new laptop to substitute for my poverty spec uni provided laptop (Lenevo l480) - quite how they expect me to do a Ph.D on VR with integrated 620 graphics I don't know. Seriously thinking of getting an Aero 15X due to the recent price drops.

Associate
Got a few questions about another upgrade. I have bought another Samsung Evo 2TB and a stick of Kingston Hyper X 16GB.

1, When upgrading the SSD, should I just wipe the original 512GB ssd or can I move windows onto the existing 970 evo that is currently the storage drive.

2, Once I have the 2 samsung ssd's installed do I need to keep the 512GB ssd that came with the aero 5 x, or can this be sold without affecting warranty?

Would appreciate your input :)

1. You could just run the Smart USB Backup to backup the OS IMG to USB disk, boot with it, and install the OS IMG in your new EVO drive
2. It's better to keep it I think

Associate

cuz there's only one DDI injected so only one monitor will be supported on TBT3. However if you apply daisy-chain structure on monitor it could support multiple monitors - but with same screen

Associate
Hi @baloney @Atom80 ,

Pretty please?

Hi

I got the same point as Atom80. All of the fan policy was designed under strict test from our thermal team in order not to harm the component inside the laptop by the heat gathered by insufficient fan spin

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I caved - one Aero 15x (FHD) ordered!

Additional G-Skill 16gb 2666 SO-DIMM and 1tb HP EX920 M.2 drive ordered as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Laptop arrived this afternoon. I must say it's a lovely piece of kit, lovely screen and really fast (for a laptop - see main rig in sig for comparison).

I think this will be a nice companion through the next 3 years of my Ph.D :)

SSD is Toshiba and ram is Kingston 2666 C19 - hope the G-Skill 2666 C18 I have on order plays nice with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I'm honestly lost by the whole monitor situation.

What I want to be able to do: Put two 1080P monitors, a keyboard and a mouse on a desk. Walk in, when I need a proper desk, plug in the fewest cables and pretend it's not a laptop any more.

I've had this setup working in the office, where I hotdesk and every desk has one USB with everything on it. Each time I sit at a new desk, I have to spend a few minutes realigning the screens and then it works, every time I go in.

This company is not smart, so I figured it would be easy. I bought two monitors (LG24BK550Y) and a whole stack of cables. They arrived yesterday. Here is how it went ...

* Two Displayports to the laptop mini Displayport. Failed.
* One Displayport to the laptop mini Displayport, through the same splitter. Failed.
* Two USBs to a TB3 adapter. Failed.
* Two USBs direct to the laptop USB. Failed.
* One USB to the laptop USB. Failed.
* One HDMI to the laptop HDMI. Success (for each screen, so they're not the problem)! But not exactly the solution I was looking for.

Had to give in at that point, but will get back to it tonight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom