New build - Need to switch to BT

Associate
I'm moving into a new build property next weekend and have been informed that for the first 12 months, we have to use BT Fibre.

I am currently only 6 months into an 18 month contract with TalkTalk. I'm assuming that I'll have to pay the remainder of my contract off?

Also, is there any good deals around for BT at the moment? I'm currently paying £22.50 p/m for 80MB with TalkTalk but can't find anything near as good as that with BT.

Soldato
TalkTalk may waive any fees if they are unable to provide a service at your new address. The only way you'll know is by asking them. You'll obviously need to contact them anyway if you're moving.

If you have to use BT connection then chances are it's real fibre (FTTP) rather than FTTC.

Caporegime
In theory FTTP can be activated the same day if you have a PON light and give the provider the numbers on the ONT.

I haven't heard of a 12-month exclusive period with BT. Did this come from an official source or just what you've been told by someone who works for the house builder? I would have thought that any Openreach FTTP provider could give you service - which includes Zen

Associate
OP
It's already turning into a nightmare as I feared. First call to BT the guy confirmed that it is FTTP and he was going to put a request through to Openreach. The call got cut off at that point.

I rang back and a second guy insisted that it is definitely not FTTP and he would need to send a request to have a line put in... The request was throwing up an error so now it's been sent for investigation which will apparently take up to another 7 working days!

TJM

TJM

Associate
The checker often doesn't have accurate results for new builds until a line is up and running. You'll probably just have to wait.

Ask the developer on Monday morning to confirm what was installed.

Associate
OP
Yes I am definitely going to be ringing them first thing tomorrow morning. I spoke to one of the development managers on Thursday and he insisted that it was FTTP.

Also, a mate of mine works for Openreach and knows the area manager pretty well so he is going to start things moving on Monday morning for me.

Caporegime
Just ask for a photo of whatever Openreach have installed in the house. If it's FTTP it will be really obvious.

Associate
OP
Spoke to one of the site managers today and he said that it is definitely FTTP and the white box is in the cupboard under the stairs...

My mate from Openreach rang shortly after and said that he spoke to the Openreach area manager and she said that she was actually on site and it is 100% NOT FTTP and she will ensure that the line is all sorted by Friday when we move in...

My next question is, who is a decent ISP these days? TalkTalk have terminated my contract so I am free to go with anyone I choose...

Caporegime
Plusnet don't do FTTP. I'd be surprised if you can find cheaper than BT once you take into account cashback offers, new customer deals etc.

All this would be solved if they just took a photo of whatever they're referring to as 'the white box'.

Associate
OP
Bit of an update. Spoken to my mate again and he has been in touch with the Openreach area manager. She has once again confirmed that it is definitely NOT FTTP and is going to push to get the line sorted by the weekend!

I'm going to the property myself tomorrow afternoon so I can double check but it seems that it is just to the cabinet.

Looking at deals, Sky seems decent at £27 a month? They were always good for me a few years ago before I switched to TalkTalk (which I will always regret as they are useless)

Soldato
One problem with Sky is that they don't use standard PPPoE connections which limits your use of third party equipment. I don't think they allow static IPs either.

Those two things would stop me ever choosing them however good and/or cheap their broadband is.

Associate
OP
We received the keys last Thursday but still getting nowhere with the Internet side of things. The Openreach area manager has been out twice but the construction company still haven't got the lines in.

Back
Top Bottom