How do YOU make porridge?

Associate
One ramekin of oats, two ramekins of water. Leave overnight in microwave. Heat for a total of four mins, add a few frozen cherries, sliced banana, sweetener and cinnamon.

Soldato
PSJW overnight oats aren't porridge, and, have their own thread.
Its like steak, if you have good quality ingredients you don't need to adulterate with other, expensive, delta ingrediants, just a pinch of salt, and get the cooking right.
The golden spurtle award defines traditional porridge, I'm in agreement with that, otherwise it's not cricket, but, I use rolled in a hurry.

30472885587_e404e22d73_h_d.jpg

Soldato
water oats heat, pour into a drawer.

eat whilst wearing kilt after cutting into slices

or if not feeling particularly bothered oats milk topped with a dash of sugar

Associate
gonna get a lot of hate for this....

tear open little bag, put in bowl, fill bag to line with milk, pour over oats. put in microwave :p

Used to do it on the hob, with butter and milk, brown sugar... but realized that I don't like oats enough to put the effort in and just want something warm to put in my face when I'm still mostly asleep in the morning :p

Soldato
gonna get a lot of hate for this....
You certainly are. Those bags are mostly sugar. It really doesn't take much longer to do proper oats, that's the thing. If you're really strapped for time soak them overnight and you can literally warm them up in the pan (or even microwave if you must)

Soldato
You certainly are. Those bags are mostly sugar. It really doesn't take much longer to do proper oats, that's the thing. If you're really strapped for time soak them overnight and you can literally warm them up in the pan (or even microwave if you must)

Oh. Trying those bag things was my first time trying porridge. I thought I was being healthy when eating them topped with half an apple and some blueberries. Sounds like that isn't the case.

Is there anything similarly quick/convenient I can buy which is healthier? The overnight thing doesn't quite work for me since I tend not to know if I feel like eating them and decide just before.

Soldato
Well if you're really trying to be healthy you have to put in some effort. Goes for a lot of things, especially food. Cooking from scratch means you know exactly what goes in your food.

Honestly it doesn't take that long to cook porridge, but I'd check out the overnight oats thread. We do 2 days worth at a time, it's fine to sit in the fridge probably for 3 days if you decide you don't want it one day.

Soldato
Is there anything similarly quick/convenient I can buy which is healthier?

Honestly it doesn't take that long to cook porridge

exactly, multi-tasked, it is <15minute cook, with <2mins prep, needs no attention/stirring once you have figured hob dial setting;
less attention than uwave

Oats, Water, Whole Egg or White(s). + numerous toppings.
I don't get the egg deal - delta calories ? ... but if it's a corn fed egg - yellow peril

balancing out the pizza shots

45416227572_e6c8fc34ba_b_d.jpg

Associate
oats + water +microwave + a little honey + a little skimmed milk = yum :)

although for the less conventional i make them them with chicken stock and put avocado and 2 poached eggs on top ;)

Caporegime
1 cup oats, just enough milk, small pinch of salt and in the microwave for 2 minutes.

People listing a lot of oat based dishes that isn't porridge

Associate
Jumbo oats, semi skimmed milk in the microwave, cinnamon and chopped nuts when it comes out. Stir through some pre chopped frozen ripened banana (1/3 approx), which cools it down to edible quick smart

Back
Top Bottom