• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9600K down to £300.. worth buying or wait?

Associate
With the uncertainty over the £ and gouging and what not it's unlikely we'll see huge reductions on these chips in the near future, maybe a bit (9700k won't get anywhere near £330 if bought in the UK). Also don't be swayed by people who want you to buy something else. Get what you want.
The guy comes here for advice so he obviously asks people what is better purchase and he won't be offended if there will be different options listed. It's not an advice "buy what you want" and it's not swaying if people give their opinions on the question asked.

Associate
The guy comes here for advice so he obviously asks people what is better purchase and he won't be offended if there will be different options listed. It's not an advice "buy what you want" and it's not swaying if people give their opinions on the question asked.

From the OP's posts Intel certainly seemed the preferred option but the same people who always do just say get Ryzen. Not very balanced advice.

Soldato
The Core i5 8600K was sub £250 for a lot of its lifespan. £300 isn't a deal on the Core i5 9600k when it is more or less the same CPU in performance. I actually nearly got a Core i5 8600K myself due to motherboard issues with my old rig,but after seeing the price gouging decided against it even though it would have probably been a bit better in certain games I play, than the Ryzen 5 I got in the end for only £137(but that Ryzen was better for my non gaming stuff). If consumers justify price gouging only we will get screwed over.

Just honestly wait - next year 7MM and 10NM CPUs will be out. At the very least wait until prices are normalised.

Edit!!

I am using a GTX1080FE at qHD.

Also what is your current CPU OP?

Last edited:
Soldato
From the OP's posts Intel certainly seemed the preferred option but the same people who always do just say get Ryzen. Not very balanced advice.

You've kinda missed the point from the OP, as much as he would like a 9600K there is also value to be considered, which they pointed out in the original post on this thread. Currently the 9600K sits at £330 here at OCUK, which is above his target price, and I full agree that it seems silly to pay 50% more than the 8600K which is literally the same CPU and was priced at ~£220 from Jan '18 until end of August. 50% more cost for nothing.. let it soak in.

They have also stated they are running 1440p 144Hz, so need as much GPU grunt as possible, therefore spending the extra on the GPU is much more sensible that wasting it on a CPU paired with a less than adequate GPU. The sensible option is the 9700K/8700K at around £400 for long term, long lasting system as they would have already sacrificed the GPU anyhow, or buy an AMD platform for a massive saving, with the option to just drop in a much fast CPU when they see fit.

Basically your advice wasn't advice, more like a pat on the back.

Associate
You've kinda missed the point from the OP, as much as he would like a 9600K there is also value to be considered, which they pointed out in the original post on this thread. Currently the 9600K sits at £330 here at OCUK, which is above his target price, and I full agree that it seems silly to pay 50% more than the 8600K which is literally the same CPU and was priced at ~£220 from Jan '18 until end of August. 50% more cost for nothing.. let it soak in.

They have also stated they are running 1440p 144Hz, so need as much GPU grunt as possible, therefore spending the extra on the GPU is much more sensible that wasting it on a CPU paired with a less than adequate GPU. The sensible option is the 9700K/8700K at around £400 for long term, long lasting system as they would have already sacrificed the GPU anyhow, or buy an AMD platform for a massive saving, with the option to just drop in a much fast CPU when they see fit.

Basically your advice wasn't advice, more like a pat on the back.

I wasn't aware that I had given any advice on his purchase, just to ultimately get what he wants as there are a number of people of the forum who want to spend others money for them, even when AMD is not given as a choice in some cases. The 2700x is a great option but ultimately buying what you want is more important.

Caporegime
I wasn't aware that I had given any advice on his purchase, just to ultimately get what he wants as there are a number of people of the forum who want to spend others money for them, even when AMD is not given as a choice in some cases. The 2700x is a great option but ultimately buying what you want is more important.

No one is disputing that . Buy countless people on here are sometimes not aware of their options ... sometimes being out the loop on tech developments over the past couple of years

My last AMD was an Opteron 170 brilliant chip but the 2700x is such a compelling chip for the price there is no harm making people aware it exists

Soldato

The 2700X is a terrible option and a waste of money, have you read the OP's requirements? The words planned, fair deal and 'normal' price were all used in the opening post.

Please give him some advice based on his budget of £1700 for a full system, using a 144Hz 1440P monitor.

Associate
The 2700X is a terrible option and a waste of money, have you read the OP's requirements? The words planned, fair deal and 'normal' price were all used in the opening post.

Please give him some advice based on his budget of £1700 for a full system, using a 144Hz 1440P monitor.

It's easy to go either way with a 1080ti for £1700 which was my point about buying what you want. Not sure why you are getting your knickers in a twist.

Just for gaming I would personally get a 8600k now with a Z390 motherboard (you get the ROG Strix into a £1700 build) and maybe pop in a 9900k at a later date if funds allowed. If there was going to be no further budget in the future for a CPU upgrade get a cheaper Z370 mobo. Or go for a budget Ryzen build with an eye to 7nm when it comes out by getting a decent mobo.

Soldato
It's easy to go either way with a 1080ti for £1700 which was my point about buying what you want. Not sure why you are getting your knickers in a twist.

Just for gaming I would personally get a 8600k now with a Z390 motherboard (you get the ROG Strix into a £1700 build) and maybe pop in a 9900k at a later date if funds allowed. If there was going to be no further budget in the future for a CPU upgrade get a cheaper Z370 mobo. Or go for a budget Ryzen build with an eye to 7nm when it comes out by getting a decent mobo.

Yes my knickers are fully in a twist. Some people.

Here's a list of mid range components excluding the CPU and motherboard.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,301.49 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

As you can see, there is £400 left for the CPU and the motherboard. The only component I have configured as higher than most is maybe the RAM, but knock £50 off to get it down to £1250, leaving £450. That is £330 for the i5 9600K, and £120 for the most basic board possible at Z390. This is assuming the OP doesn't want a larger SSD, or a nicer case, or something else not in that list.

Associate
Yes my knickers are fully in a twist. Some people.

Here's a list of mid range components excluding the CPU and motherboard.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,301.49 (includes shipping: £12.60)

As you can see, there is £400 left for the CPU and the motherboard. The only component I have configured as higher than most is maybe the RAM, but knock £50 off to get it down to £1250, leaving £450. That is £330 for the i5 9600K, and £120 for the most basic board possible at Z390. This is assuming the OP doesn't want a larger SSD, or a nicer case, or something else not in that list.

That's very similar to what I did although used £150 ram and a cheaper Noctua air cooler. He could get a 8600k and the Strix Z390 at £200 but no idea if they will even want to stick in a 9900k in the future. A Ryzen 1600 now (which my son uses and likes) and a good mobo sets them up for 7nm. Again if they will have the funds later.

Associate
OP
Thank you all SO much for the opinions and Insights thus far, it has really got me thinking...

I have only ever used Intel before that is why I stated I prefer intel, but reading some of the suggestions on here I am actually seriously considering the Ryzen platform, mainly because of the ability to save cash now and upgrade later.

So let's say I decided to get an R5 2600x, would it be sufficient for 1440p, if I paired it with a vega 64 (turns out the monitor I was given is actually freesync)? If so, it's tempting to buy THAT and when the next amd chips come out maybe upgrade to something that equals/beats the 9700K gaming wise?

I do have a few questions regarding Ryzen though..

how necessary is B Die ram? Because as far as I can tell the premium you have to pay for it almost negates the saving I could make on the cpu.

If I wanted to upgrade to next amd chip in "6 -12 months" as someone stated, would it be advisable to purchase a higher end motherboard, with headroom for the potential increased power usage of said chips? Which motherboards are the best for this?

I do apologize for any terminology I have used incorrectly, or any assumptions I have made regarding this issue. I am very new to these forums and to pc building in general, so my knowledge of components, etc. Is fairly poor.

Last edited:
Soldato
@CAT-THE-FIFTH I currently have no system, only a 1440p 144hz Freesync monitor, that was recently gifted to me.

The Intel price rises look to be some of the worst in a decade,so its like buying a graphics card during the mining boom. Even tech reviewers have noted it,so just be vary of paying beyond the odds and there are a number here,who will sell their kidneys just to get the latest tech. So ask yourself are you one of those type?? Remember,if you do pay that inflated price,expect the Core i5 10600K to be like £300 to £400 at current exchange rates,and the Ryzen 5 3600X will be nearly £300,as AMD like Intel will take advantage of it.Do,I think the Core i5 8600K is a good gaming CPU - it was at its original price,but the current price is really not worth it,and it is a shame as like I said I was considering it too,together with the Core i7 8700 non-K. So if you really want that Intel CPU,its best to wait for a deal,especially with Black Friday coming.

This review compares the Ryzen 5 2600 and the Core i5 8400 BTW:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1627-core-i5-8400-vs-ryzen-5-2600/

Also,what games are you looking to play??

Last edited:
Soldato
I was toying with the idea of buying a Ryzen system with nice fast Ram & high end X470 Motherboard and as a temporary measure dropping in a cheap as chips 1600 to tide me over until Ryzen 2 lands next year, then selling the 1600 and replacing it with the 3700X.

Caporegime
I was toying with the idea of buying a Ryzen system with nice fast Ram & high end X470 Motherboard and as a temporary measure dropping in a cheap as chips 1600 to tide me over until Ryzen 2 lands next year, then selling the 1600 and replacing it with the 3700X.

Sounds like a decent plan

Soldato
So let's say I decided to get an R5 2600x, would it be sufficient for 1440p, if I paired it with a vega 64 (turns out the monitor I was given is actually freesync)? If so, it's tempting to buy THAT and when the next amd chips come out maybe upgrade to something that equals/beats the 9700K gaming wise?

I do have a few questions regarding Ryzen though..

how necessary is B Die ram? Because as far as I can tell the premium you have to pay for it almost negates the saving I could make on the cpu.

a) 2600X and Vega 64 are perfect with Freesync. Make sure you buy a good B450/X470 motherboard.
b) This Ram will work perfectly. Got it for my brother for his 1800X. Overclock it a bit to get it to 3200C14.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...al-channel-kit-black-grey-tlgd-my-09s-tg.html
c) Is a myth you do not need good ram with Intel CPUs. But well, regardless how many times posted here benchmarks, the myth is still standing.

Back
Top Bottom