Windows 10 FAQ

Hey guys, i recently changed hardware from intel to AMD on my Win10 Pro install to which i got an unable to activate windows error, went through trouble shooting and even spoke to tech support who informed me my key is invalid?! Ive reinstalled windows multiple times and even changed motherboard once and it was always fine, now my key isnt legit? WTF.

Soldato
I can only assume that as you have changed the CPU and also presumably the motherboard, Microsoft now consider it to be a different computer altogether, and that you are not therefore entitled to continue using the same Windows key

I can only assume that as you have changed the CPU and also presumably the motherboard, Microsoft now consider it to be a different computer altogether, and that you are not therefore entitled to continue using the same Windows key

Yeah total system change, it boggles my mind though that i pay for windows but if i want to upgrade i cant because if i do my Windows(that i paid for!!) wont work and MS wont help other than suggesting i buy a new license!? Thats ridiculous!!

Soldato
It certainly is, but looking at it from Microsoft's point of view, how do they know that you are not still using that windows key with the original components?

What they need is some way of 'de-activating' or 'unregistering' a Windows licence, so that it can then be used elsewhere, although tha might be difficult in the event of a major system failure.

As you had actually managd to speak with someone, I would have expected them to have been a bit more helpful though!

As you had actually managd to speak with someone, I would have expected them to have been a bit more helpful though!

This is what i thought, he went through the steps with me again that i had already tried but still nothing. He then asked me to give him my Key to which he told me it was invalid or blacklisted!
Ive had the key for 4 years, multiple installs and change of hardware and its always been fine so i have no clue whats happened unless i had a limit on the amount of reinstall i could do? Cheesed off and wishing i'd stayed Intel :D

Soldato
This is what i thought, he went through the steps with me again that i had already tried but still nothing. He then asked me to give him my Key to which he told me it was invalid or blacklisted!
Ive had the key for 4 years, multiple installs and change of hardware and its always been fine so i have no clue whats happened unless i had a limit on the amount of reinstall i could do? Cheesed off and wishing i'd stayed Intel :D

Where did you get the key from, also was it a oem key or retail?

It maybe that Microsoft have blocked it if it's a eBay or cheap keep key off a site. If it's a retail key then you should be able
To move it to any system you want regardless or hardware changes as long as it's only activated on one pc at a time.

Man of Honour
It maybe that Microsoft have blocked it

They seem to have blacklisted a block of keys recently - had a few people who've bought from a certain company who fulfil from 3rd parties find their keys have become invalid recently after working for months/years, etc. (these aren't necessarily cheap keys).

Where did you get the key from, also was it a oem key or retail?

It maybe that Microsoft have blocked it if it's a eBay or cheap keep key off a site. If it's a retail key then you should be able
To move it to any system you want regardless or hardware changes as long as it's only activated on one pc at a time.

Got it from Amazon and it was retail(or claimed to be!) Ive been reading up and apparently MS dont sell just keys, only disk or usb? Im starting to think i got a key i shouldnt have :/

They seem to have blacklisted a block of keys recently - had a few people who've bought from a certain company who fulfil from 3rd parties find their keys have become invalid recently after working for months/years, etc. (these aren't necessarily cheap keys).

Strange that my install was perfect up until i changed hardware, i would have thought if i had a dodgy license i would have got the annoying 'Your windows is fake brah!' message popping up way before then? :(

Man of Honour
Read the comments on the listing on Amazon - bunch of fulfilled by Amazon sellers have been selling dubious keys with seemingly authentic packaging/USB key and MS have recently caught up with blacklisting them.

So a bizarre thing, i installed my old hardware because id read that if you hadnt linked your hardware with your MS account it can stop your key migrating with a major hardware change. So i install win10 with the old comp and....windows is activated! But looking at my settings it turns out my hardware was linked with my account :/ Anyway, boot back up with my new system and.....INVALID KEY. Grrrr.

And as a side **** you, i messed up a HD and spent all day recovering the data, switching to AMD seems to be a no for me :D

Man of Honour
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2019/01/07/windows-10-and-reserved-storage/

Basically renders 32gb laptops even more useless if it's going to insist on reserving space for updates and temporary files.

They already are - with 1809 you pretty much have to remove everything that isn't a crucial Windows file to get enough space to update even when you try to use additional add-in storage. One of my tablets is a Toshiba Click 10 which has been rendered pretty much useless by the latest updates. (It is actually a pretty decent tablet for watching movies, etc. on the go as it has a decent quality 1920x1200 IPS type screen and dual batteries).

EDIT: Just wish they'd stop with these half-arsed measures trying to make their failing update system work properly and get back to basics and do a proper job.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Retail
OEM

There is a reason these two exist.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

If you want transfer rights and be able to make all sorts of hardware modifications, then the retail full license is recommended.

Soldato
Man of Honour
You can say the same with Apple need to do updates / patches like Microsoft and Apple becoming more annoying as time goes on.

Not really - if anything that is even more of an advocacy for not doing updates in the way MS does - people need to be able to have proper control over updates as even Apple shows it is a problematic experience. He never claimed that Apple is a problem free experience.

If you look at almost any OS updates cause issues so taking control away from the end user in that light is just stupid.

Associate
Anybody got a phone number to call microsoft re win10 activation errors?
Upgraded from 7pro a long time ago and yes it is a legit version.
Thought i had linked to my microsoft account and i see the computer data listed in there but it will not activate.
Memory errors after upgrading MB and CPU to AMD screwed my install and I had to reinstall wiping all apps (that was fun).
Now it refuses to activate.
Stupid troubleshooter gives a phone number which is dead.

Associate
I have two OEM builds of Windows 7 Ultimate that refused to update to Windows 10.

One W7 is also now stating its not genuine after a failed update that passed all the requirements set by Microsoft. That happened back when Windows offered the update. Always thought it failed because the lads ssd was near full.

And two retail packs of Windows 7 Ultimate thst I dont think I want to update.

Not too impressed with W10, nor keen to update. But not much option.

As for Apple, gave up on them years ago
Still got a useless expensive Tiger OSX family licence. But my macs went with all my other old pcs into the electric recycling.

Back
Top Bottom