Creative Super X-Fi

Soldato
No thread, but I think it's been discussed in the AE-5 thread. Still, better to have a separate thread as it's a different product.

Associate
Yeah, they also do a headset with the x fi chip built in with a retractable boom mic. Seems like a variation on what Audeze have done with the Mobius.

To a certain extent what the super x fi chip does makes the quality of the headphones irrelevant it seems (my understanding of it anyway).

Best

Wulf

Soldato
An internal sound card will almost certainly follow later, but I do wonder; wouldn't a new internal Super X-Fi card affect sales of the AE-5? Which is still a pretty new card; only about a year old now. Unless maybe they put it in a higher price category. Creative might just focus on other areas first, such as implementation into other devices.

It shouldn't make the quality of the headphones irrelevant, because they still have to convert the signal into sound. Some headphones do that better than others; and then you have different sound signatures, which will almost certainly impact how well Super X-Fi works. What will happen though; with Creative certifying headphones that work best with Super X-Fi, might mean people's favourite headphones might not get certified and may not be the best choice.

Hopefully though, we will see some, shall we say, 'audiophile' headphones being certified, and not just plastic gaming headsets. Will be interesting to see how AKG K702/712 fares if 'audiophile' headphones go through a certification process. Often cited as among the best gaming headphones. Will be a turn up for the books, if they aren't so good with Super-Xi. :p Time will tell I guess.

Associate
I suppose it depends how well Super X Fi takes off (can’t see it not being huge tbh).

If this becomes the new sound standard then you would assume the various headphone manufacturers would be clamouring over each other to support it. Would be very nice to have some audiophile options though with certification.

Best

Wulf

Soldato
Yeah, they also do a headset with the x fi chip built in with a retractable boom mic. Seems like a variation on what Audeze have done with the Mobius.
Mobius uses average head shape based HRTF, so its behind Super X-Fi tech.
With Super X-Fi having more and more advantage the more listener's head shape differs from average.

Soldato
It's just a DAC, so output only. While you can use it for gaming, it looks to be more aimed at music use. There are no drivers, so no configuration, which many gamers would want. We'll have to wait for more gaming oriented devices, which have software configuration and microphone input.

Soldato
OP
Yes, after reading more reviews it seems that this is no good at gaming and more for music and movies. So I won't be getting one after all.

Soldato
Yes, after reading more reviews it seems that this is no good at gaming and more for music and movies. So I won't be getting one after all.
Actually it doesn't seem to work as proper 5.1/7.1 playback device on phones, unlike in PC.
But lacks PC software for configuring and customing HRTF.
One little known fact is that Android USB Audio can only support two audio channels, unlike desktop OS (e.g. Windows, Mac) that can support multi-channels. This is also a primary reason why when listening to multi-channel files through SXFI Amp on smartphones, the surround effect does not feel it’s night-and-day.
https://musicphotolife.com/2018/10/creative-sxfi-amp-review/

Associate
Mobius uses average head shape based HRTF, so its behind Super X-Fi tech.
With Super X-Fi having more and more advantage the more listener's head shape differs from average.
The Mobius actually has a companion app that allows for input of the user’s head circumference and inter-aural arc measurements in order to tailor the headset’s HRTF and 3D virtualisation to something more personal. I have one.

I don’t have a Super X-Fi dongle (yet) but AFAIK, it uses uploaded photos of the user’s head and ears to the same intent and purpose. Which is more effective, remains to be seen. From early reports, the Super X-Fi app has multiple headphone profiles (Senn HD650 being one of them) and I would imagine that the effect will vary greatly depending on the profile used and whether that profile matches the headphone connected to the dongle. I would wager best results would be from matching profile with headphones. I would contend that the Mobius would at least have an advantage over headphones paired with a generic or mismatched Super X-Fi profile as far as HRTF goes.

My own experience, I found entering my measurements to be a significant improvement, albeit not quite a drastic one.

Soldato
The Mobius actually has a companion app that allows for input of the user’s head circumference and inter-aural arc measurements in order to tailor the headset’s HRTF and 3D virtualisation to something more personal. I have one.

I don’t have a Super X-Fi dongle (yet) but AFAIK, it uses uploaded photos of the user’s head and ears to the same intent and purpose. Which is more effective, remains to be seen. From early reports, the Super X-Fi app has multiple headphone profiles (Senn HD650 being one of them) and I would imagine that the effect will vary greatly depending on the profile used and whether that profile matches the headphone connected to the dongle. I would wager best results would be from matching profile with headphones. I would contend that the Mobius would at least have an advantage over headphones paired with a generic or mismatched Super X-Fi profile as far as HRTF goes.

My own experience, I found entering my measurements to be a significant improvement, albeit not quite a drastic one.
While better than by just using average, some circumference isn't enough for accurate HRTF.
There can be major variation in shape of similarly sized head, especially in face.
Also earlobes differ.

Only ways for really fully accurate HRTF are:
3D scanning whole head shape.
Or putting small mics into ears to record how sound from sources at different directions changes.
In those demonstrations during winter and spring Creative did that recording for improving image analyzing algorithm.

Need for any headphone compensation depends on accuracy of headphones.
Neutral and analytical headphones likely won't benefit from it really any.
Unlike some "warm" sound headphones, which really are just inaccurate in their reproduction of signal, muffling part of frequencies needed by binaural cues.

Soldato
An internal sound card will almost certainly follow later
If they do release an internal X-Fi which has CMSS 3D and 5.1 support, I will buy it. I shudder to think what price they will charge, but as long as the quality is equal to or better than my current X-Fi Titanium.

Back
Top Bottom