Driving pet hates...

Man of Honour
Because too often everyone is travelling in lane 1 at the speed limit, since there's no need to use the other lane as traffic is flowing fine... only to have some nob hoon down the other lane well over said limit and try to force his car (it's always a bloke and usually an Audi or BMW) into the other lane in front of you at the very last possible second... There are certain merges locally where someone'll do that to you even if you're the only other car on the road, to the point where driving instructors now warn you to look out for it when on that particular road.
Wrong? Sure. Still happens, though. Same as drivers turning off using the wrong lane on the A33 Bypass roundabouts, even though they're clearly marked as Right Only... Usually the Might Is Right brigade.

M4 onto M25 all the time. Even had a van driver get angry at me once for not letting him in - queue like everyone else!

There was actually someone reversing out of an M25 entrance junction this morning onto a busy roundabout in heavy rain. The mind just boggles.

Transmission breaker
Don
Because too often everyone is travelling in lane 1 at the speed limit, since there's no need to use the other lane as traffic is flowing fine... only to have some nob hoon down the other lane well over said limit and try to force his car (it's always a bloke and usually an Audi or BMW) into the other lane in front of you at the very last possible second... There are certain merges locally where someone'll do that to you even if you're the only other car on the road, to the point where driving instructors now warn you to look out for it when on that particular road.
Wrong? Sure. Still happens, though. Same as drivers turning off using the wrong lane on the A33 Bypass roundabouts, even though they're clearly marked as Right Only... Usually the Might Is Right brigade.

I am referring to stationary/slow traffic situations, where people seem to try and merge WAY before the merge point, causing the tailbacks to be larger than they should be, and slowing up the traffic behind. Use the whole road, and merge at the end. If everyone did it, it would significantly reduce the tailbacks in these situations. :)

Associate
I am referring to stationary/slow traffic situations, where people seem to try and merge WAY before the merge point, causing the tailbacks to be larger than they should be, and slowing up the traffic behind. Use the whole road, and merge at the end. If everyone did it, it would significantly reduce the tailbacks in these situations. :)
I agree, I suspect a lot of people don't merge at the end because of the people that try to police the road because they don't like being overtaken, it makes those that know the whole idea of merging in turn decide it's not worth the hassle, I have it frequently on my drive home where I'm several car lengths from the end, someone will see me about to go past and dangerously pull across the road to stop me. I wonder how many insurance claims are because of people not knowing how to merge in turn.

Soldato
but my gripe is with lane marking
Not quite what you meant, but the prevalence of drivers who stop way short of the junction when leaving a 'T', what's up they just want to drive blind, they are blind, or genuinely don't know the length of their car.

my gripe is with lane marking and painting them on the road so ****** close to the junctions. As soon as there is traffic they are obscured,
it would be interesting if you could sell a Tesla Autpilot a dummy, if you were obscuring the junction marking in front of it, do they behave like lemmings? ?

[
Interesting paper on driver assistance technologies , and how we may underestimate their capabilities, reduced perception of risk and skill atrophication, so if you return to a non AT car, you crash
]

Soldato
Too many to list but here are my top three.
1. Merge warriors who block lanes or fail to give way.
2. Tailgaters esp mums on the school run in their leased Cheshire off roaders.
3. Inappropriate use of full beam or ****** with aftermarket ultra bright white lights.

Associate
Definitely lane discipline for me, especially on roundabouts.
Any journey to work results in me passing through two large roundabouts and each time, there is at least one car who weaves from one lane to another part-way round then weaves back into the original lane they started from. All the while, with no indicators either.

Soldato
Too many to list but here are my top three.
3. Inappropriate use of full beam or ****** with aftermarket ultra bright white lights.

Some of these aftermarket LED/HID are getting silly, so bright but the aim is so poor, get them all the time in the lane next to you on the motorway and make me want to remove my drivers side mirror.

Off that hate, people who leave front fog lights on all the time. Do they think newer cars DRLs are just the fog lights so they decide to imitate that?

Soldato
Some of these aftermarket LED/HID are getting silly, so bright but the aim is so poor, get them all the time in the lane next to you on the motorway and make me want to remove my drivers side mirror.

Off that hate, people who leave front fog lights on all the time. Do they think newer cars DRLs are just the fog lights so they decide to imitate that?
All the cars i've ever owned required a button to be pressed each time the engine is started, That probably means someone is that stupid they are going out of their way to turn them on each time:(.

Soldato

This and those with one dodgy headlight stuck pointing up is why I got my windows tinted ASAP.

Soldato
Drivers with DRL's on when it's almost completely dark, so you end up with blinding LEDs at the front and no lights at all at the rear.

I bet 99.9% of these cars also have an automatic light setting, so there's no excuse.

I miss the days before DRLs when if you saw a set of headlights in your mirror it was either a bike, a Volvo, or someone driving 'enthusiastically' :D

Now everything just blends into everything else and it's hard to spot bikes in the rear view mirror, most of the time it's a badly adjusted HID and not a bike.

Back in the mid-2000's I used to have a 1.3 mini cooper which was low enough to be under most cars wing mirrors, used to have the headlights on all the time so people would actually see me.

Back
Top Bottom