Mountain Biking

Soldato
following a bent cassette, after a lot of deliberation I decided to "upgrade" to a 1x11 setup.
bought
new 32t chainring
11-46 cassette
xt 11spd shifter
new cable (was not clear on the website if the XT shifter came with an outer cable, turns out it does and I wasted £20)
KMC 11 spd chain

My plan was to use my existing 10spd derailleur but unfortunately it fouls the 46t sprocket.
So had to spank another £45 on a replacement.
I have ordered some spacers to move the chainring inwards, but at the moment the chainline looks like it is going to be absolutely horrible,
is there a safe/sensible limit as to how thick the spacers that you can use to shim the front chainring inwards ?
I will be moving it 4mm but I don't know if that will be enough.

kind of regretting doing this a bit now, would probably have been better saving my money and just replacing the cassette with a similar config 10spd (would have been about £150 cheaper)

Ske

Ske

Associate
Two days at Forest of Dean and now a day with uplift at Bikepark Wales today. My new Vitus Escarpe VR is sweeeeet. Legs so tired now though, probably another sport tomorrow

Did you enjoy BPW? What trails did you ride?
I'll venture to FoD again soon. Only ridden there once and that was part of the MBR demo day.

Associate
Did you enjoy BPW? What trails did you ride?
I'll venture to FoD again soon. Only ridden there once and that was part of the MBR demo day.
BPW was awesome. Some trails were closed, a lot more than the website suggested so we mainly lapped sixtapod, terrys belly and poptyping with bits of red to connect them. I thiiiiiink sixtapod might be my favourite trail. Uplift is totally worth it as well as taking a normal weekday for it. Managed 8 runs with it.

Associate
Not even two weeks into my recovery from a shoulder operation and I'm already at my wits end with no riding. Going to be a looooong 6 months. :(

Good side being it gives me more time to stick money aside for a new bike when I'm back to it! :D

Associate
Ive got tomorrow off work and me and a mate are off riding. We do cannock weekly, being based in Burton its on the doorstep. We've never rode sherwood pines, is it worth a visit or am I going to look a right t*t turning up on my 160 travel enduro bike?

Not sure on whether to head there for a few hours tomorrow or not.

Soldato
Ive got tomorrow off work and me and a mate are off riding. We do cannock weekly, being based in Burton its on the doorstep. We've never rode sherwood pines, is it worth a visit or am I going to look a right t*t turning up on my 160 travel enduro bike?

Not sure on whether to head there for a few hours tomorrow or not.

I was considering it as well as it is probably 15 minutes further than Cannock for me.
But I read it was quite flat and decided to hunt in a little more detail.

I can say this video (review) has completely put me off the idea.

Associate
I was considering it as well as it is probably 15 minutes further than Cannock for me.
But I read it was quite flat and decided to hunt in a little more detail.

I can say this video (review) has completely put me off the idea.

I did go in the end to sherwood and did the Kitchener trail well what I could make of it as its badly sign posted. Not again though its terrible. Defiantly not worth the travel and wish id of done the peaks or a quick blast around cannock now. Oh well its another one ticked off the list :)

Soldato
didn't think it worth starting a specific thread seeing as there's so many knowledgeable mtb'ing folk in here - lights......i've a cube acid i bought about 4 years ago and have ridden maybe a dozen times (i know i know) but i really want to make the effort to get out and about and get a bit fitter (43 and gaining a few pounds steadily!) but with winter and the dark nights upon us i don't want to have the excuse of 'oh but it's dark so i can't go out' floating about in my head. So, i need lights for hooning round a forest in the dark - google nearly caused me to have a stroke with the options when i had a look, is there any make/model i should specifically look for or avoid?

Caporegime
didn't think it worth starting a specific thread seeing as there's so many knowledgeable mtb'ing folk in here - lights......i've a cube acid i bought about 4 years ago and have ridden maybe a dozen times (i know i know) but i really want to make the effort to get out and about and get a bit fitter (43 and gaining a few pounds steadily!) but with winter and the dark nights upon us i don't want to have the excuse of 'oh but it's dark so i can't go out' floating about in my head. So, i need lights for hooning round a forest in the dark - google nearly caused me to have a stroke with the options when i had a look, is there any make/model i should specifically look for or avoid?

Check the last couple of pages.

It all depends on how much you want to spend too.

I've bought some cheap Chinese things in the past, and worked fine. But I wouldn't trust charging them on their own.

Soldato
I asked the same thing a few posts ago, you can get a light kit off ebay for £17 but the general conscious is to bin the battery that comes with it as they are dangerous.
Get a battery back from someone called torchyboy.
All in i paid about £62, haven't really tried it out offroad but it is very bright.
I would say at full brightness with an 8 cell torchyboy battery pack it probably would last 90 minutes.
Think i would want a helmet mounted light as well if I wanted to "hoon" offroad in the dark

Soldato
Check the last couple of pages.

It all depends on how much you want to spend too.

I've bought some cheap Chinese things in the past, and worked fine. But I wouldn't trust charging them on their own.

I asked the same thing a few posts ago, you can get a light kit off ebay for £17 but the general conscious is to bin the battery that comes with it as they are dangerous.
Get a battery back from someone called torchyboy.
All in i paid about £62, haven't really tried it out offroad but it is very bright.
I would say at full brightness with an 8 cell torchyboy battery pack it probably would last 90 minutes.
Think i would want a helmet mounted light as well if I wanted to "hoon" offroad in the dark
cheers fellas....i'll have a look back through. probably shoulda checked before positng!:p

Back
Top Bottom