Anyone here re-apply thermal paste to Xbox One X??

Associate
OP
Thats the thing though my first one i had was super quiet, but the hdmi input failed so had to get a new system. Since then i have returned 3 consoles to Amazon and all of them have come back and been much louder than my initial console. The last time i got a replacement from Amazon they sent me a email saying they noticed that i have made a lot of returns recently and wanted to know why, so i think there getting annoyed and probably wont return another one if i said the reason was because of a noisy fan.

Also i doubt Microsoft would replace the console due to it being loud also, so after reading a few post on various forums of people apply new paste and getting good results i thought id try the same.

Wasnt there a law past recently saying that manufactures couldn't have warranty stickers on their equipment anymore and refuse to fix if the sticker had been tampered with?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Wasnt there a law past recently saying that manufactures couldn't have warranty stickers on their equipment anymore and refuse to fix if the sticker had been tampered with?

I don't think they can void warranty just because you open things up anymore but they can certainly claim you have broken it by doing some DIY on your console. As much as people like to cry about companies not wanting people digging around in their products there is a good reason they don't.

Soldato
My Scorpio has only ever really got loud once and that was on a game of PubG in the inventory screen just before it crashed hard. So more the game than the console.

Associate
OP
So i just applied some Arctic Silver 5 to the APU on my Xbox One X, the paste that was on there was already flaky and dry so im not sure what type of paste they are using but must be cheap stuff what ever it is.

This is what the thing looked like when i took it apart.....

cE4MOFg.jpg

all cleaned up....

14eCUd5.jpg

and then with the thermal past applied...

0GAV2bu.jpg

Havent properly tried it out yet just leaving the Xbox idling on the dash so the thermal paste can settle thoroughly at the moment

Soldato
A slight necro from me but I've just re-applied the thermal paste to my Scorpio edition. The fan has been getting noisy lately and I've been getting thermal shutdowns within minutes of turning the console on, I had two in succession this afternoon so decided to bite the bullet. The paste that had been applied was rock solid and the majority of it wasn't even on the chip! It took me longer to clear it all off than it did to take the console apart. I put some AS5 on, put it all back together and it is now completely silent.

Here's a photo of what I found, apologies for the terrible quality :p As you can see the majority of the paste is piled up on the left hand side next to the chip.

KeFjEEa.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Some of the images showing the Scorpio Engine and the paste are eye popping. I thought you weren't supposed to get even a drop of the thermal paste on anything but the chip.

Caporegime
Some of the images showing the Scorpio Engine and the paste are eye popping. I thought you weren't supposed to get even a drop of the thermal paste on anything but the chip.

MS are likely using a preattached pad to the heatsink like a lot of stock coolers use. It just melts and goes everywhere.

Soldato

Depends on the paste, some are electrically conductive so that can cause problems on the chip but many aren't so it looks a mess but doesn't actually do any harm (besides not being where it ought to be).

Caporegime
A slight necro from me but I've just re-applied the thermal paste to my Scorpio edition. The fan has been getting noisy lately and I've been getting thermal shutdowns within minutes of turning the console on, I had two in succession this afternoon so decided to bite the bullet. The paste that had been applied was rock solid and the majority of it wasn't even on the chip! It took me longer to clear it all off than it did to take the console apart. I put some AS5 on, put it all back together and it is now completely silent.

Here's a photo of what I found, apologies for the terrible quality :p As you can see the majority of the paste is piled up on the left hand side next to the chip.

KeFjEEa.jpg

Wow what a mess. Not what you'd expect from what's essentially a premium product, I'm not surprised some of these units are getting hot and loud.

Soldato
Wow what a mess. Not what you'd expect from what's essentially a premium product, I'm not surprised some of these units are getting hot and loud.

Yep, I really couldn't believe it when I took the heatsink off. I know I could have just sent the unit back to MS but I really didn't want to be without it for a couple of weeks, especially with RDR2 coming out on Friday :p

Caporegime
Yep, I really couldn't believe it when I took the heatsink off. I know I could have just sent the unit back to MS but I really didn't want to be without it for a couple of weeks, especially with RDR2 coming out on Friday :p

I ended up sending mine back, the noise was too irritating, it's significantly quieter now.

The whole thing took about 2 weeks so not too bad.

Soldato
Slightly offtopic, Does anyone know if you send a project Scorpio for repair would you get that console back or ? Got a mate who's not willing to send it in feat of not getting his Scorpio back.

Back
Top Bottom