Fallout 76

Pet Northerner
Don
For the beta you only get 4 hours so yes its correct timing wise 12-4am. You are only allowed (unless the servers go down that is!) 1 x 4 hour beta test slot then they kill the server your on & that is it until release unless they do another beta! Bethesda released a semi grovelling note earlier sounds like they are very unsure what to expect & admit that. Makes me wonder why bother then why not just stick to a traditional Fallout SP only :rolleyes: I guess the $750m day 1 sales on Fallout 4 was not enough money for Zenimax either :rolleyes: :(
https://bethesda.net/en/article/htt...r-fans?utm_source=Community&utm_medium=Social

Yeah that open letter has pretty much killed off any hope I had for FO76.

Soldato
I tried it ran for a bit then disconnected twice, froze once so I gave up...... lol..

Same, I played from midnight for about 30-40 minutes.. kept getting message saying world cant be found and controls removed then disconnect. That would happened a few times and then froze so I gave up as obviously wasn't getting anywhere.

Soldato
I watched 3 different streams live at once from different players. 1 in UK & 2 in US. It confirmed what I already suspected the game does not function very well without VATS & now its a giant MMO sandbox so you can either go Solo & just explore with a few battles here & there to just see what's out there & gather resource. Or you can involved in the MMO side & gang up on whatever your fighting. Graphically the Beta uses very low res textures & clearly does not have all the final polish on the post pro filters included yet. It looks just like Fallout 4 with slightly better water rendering & a few more new colour filters for weather.

I think Zenimax-Bethesda are going to take a big financial hit on this game its not going to generate the $750M day one sales of Fallout 4 & should really be recoded to be sold as a Fallout 4 addon or standalone product for Solo players. But as Bethesda signed a marketing agreement with MS to sell the gloss white Xbox1X I doubt it will get delayed. This will launch as planned get a lot of deserved negativity then either left to decay & fade away or Bethesda might try to do something to make it more of a Solo only experience but that would take a long time to change if they have been working on this for over 3 years its going to be hard to remove the MMO aspects.

The only positive thing I can see from the Beta is they nailed the Fallout 4 look & atmospheric tone although 76 uses a LOT of polygon models taken directly from Fallout 4 even though this is set a long time before which is a bit of a cheapskate move!

Soldato
They've got prior form, FO4 felt like it recycled 90% from FO3/NV. I wasn't really sold on the idea of MMO Fallout but this looks rough at the moment, I'd seen it compared to No Man's Sky somewhere in terms of hype vs delivery. Maybe it'll follow the same path of self-improvement too!

Soldato
Next date and time for the BETA tbh I doubt I’m going to bother. The little I played I found it crap and waiting days for a few hours play of a crap game I have better games to play.....

• October 27, 2018 – 5 PM ET to 7 PM ET (2 PM PT to 4 PM PT / 10PM to 12AM UK)

Soldato
What's meh about it?

VATS is awful and tbh pointless. The world seems empty and without NPC interactions it lacks any kind of connection other than reading everything. It runs like complete turd even on X lots of frame skips and stutter.

It’s basically Fallout 4 light with crap VATS no missions as such but added godrays and lighting effects that really add nothing but tank performance. It feels like a poorly implemented mod for Fallout 4 which tbh is exactly what it is.

I’m a huge Fallout fan with hundreds of hours invested and the net has this summed up perfectly tbh...

“it’s the game that nobody wanted”

How’s that.... :)

Soldato
OP
VATS is awful and tbh pointless. The world seems empty and without NPC interactions it lacks any kind of connection other than reading everything. It runs like complete turd even on X lots of frame skips and stutter.

It’s basically Fallout 4 light with crap VATS no missions as such but added godrays and lighting effects that really add nothing but tank performance. It feels like a poorly implemented mod for Fallout 4 which tbh is exactly what it is.

I’m a huge Fallout fan with hundreds of hours invested and the net has this summed up perfectly tbh...

“it’s the game that nobody wanted”

How’s that.... :)

Totally agree.

Soldato
1 really poor thing I saw in the betas which few people have talked about is how crowded the Fallout game world is now. The other players are literally everywhere & run right in front of you if your fighting something else or just scavenging its just ruins the immersion more than anything else. Bethesda should find a way to make all other players invisible visually all they have is an ignore button which you must press individually for ALL the 24 or 32 players on your server :rolleyes: So lame & shows just how poorly conceived the MMO Fallout concept is & how it will never ever work for this meant to be Solo game experience. This Eurogamer video shows exactly the issue along with many other issues which are will prevent many players like me from ever buying this ill conceived mess :mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAtBwZOC95Q&t=670s

Soldato
I'm really starting to have doubts about this game. From what I've heard from beta testers the world is lifeless feeling due to the lack of NPC's, the quests are shallow and the lore is basically being thrown out the window.

I'm strongly considering cancelling my pre-order at this stage. I'm not convinced this is going to work as an enjoyable solo experience.

Soldato
It’s Fallout 4 stripped back of all that made it good and a crappy multi player add on bolted on. It uses all the assets from Fallout 4 so it’s all way too familiar even though it’s set years before 4. It’s pretty much the same map re-arranged and spread out. It runs like crap and is not a very fun game to play. The setting and mechanics do not work well in multiplayer at all. This is based on the Beta but I doubt it will change much before release it is a Bethesda game after all.

I will see what the next few beta phases brings but tbh it feels like nothing more than a cheap badly made fan mod for Fallout 4 rather than a full price release or even an official add on.

As a solo game if you like reading books and shooting robots in a big empty Fallout 4 looking world then you might enjoy it. But the lack of content or anything to do other than wandering around looking for things to read makes it dull very quick. I played about 2 hours before I turned it off.

The whole lone survivor wandering the wasteland which the game still tries to be is soon lost when someone else comes dancing along in their pants and a party hat stealing all the loot. It’s funny for about 10 seconds then it fast becomes irritating as hell.

My Pre-order will be cancelled before launch no question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom