I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Soldato
So, is this likely down to be being cheap spool, or just unlucky?

q6grWaL.jpg

It is the 2nd time i have had to unthread it from underneath other filament, will wait now until i get an empty spool, and try and rework it

Soldato
Just got myself a CR10, so far having trouble getting it to stick to the bed before i even get a print going. Trying my very best to do bed leveling, tried many times using the paper method.

Soldato
Just got myself a CR10, so far having trouble getting it to stick to the bed before i even get a print going. Trying my very best to do bed leveling, tried many times using the paper method.

Have you read any of this tread, and tried the things suggested for making it more sticky??

Caporegime
I had a little bit of a problem with this and my mk3. I don't know how other printers work, but the leveling was OK, I just needed to lower the 0 point on the z axis more than I thought

Man of Honour
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to the hundereds of people chatting away in this thread, I have been meaning to buy a 3D Printer for the last year, but never pulled the trigger - until this week,

Went for the Ender 3 and almost all the upgrades and bits and bobs referenced in this thread (Glass Bed, Replaced PTFE Tube and Couplers, etc) and some Black & Transparent Fillament,

All culminating in my first full print (had a few bed detaches and a self loosening X belt the first 3 times), predictably, its everyones favourite boat, with added "steam",

fOqG5oTl.jpg

Generally quite happy with it, although I did have to make some mid flight adjustments to the Bowden setup, as you can see along the sides there is some inconsistent extrusion. Excuse the potato pic, black is hard to shoot with a wonky phone!

:)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Glad you're happy with your Ender 3! Looking forward to getting mine :)

Its quite an adventure, and I already have a tip,

Beware how the Z Axis homes, don't know if anyone else has seen this - but depending on if the printer, or the computer, or OctoPi is homing - it can either stop as soon as it touches the Z switch, or crash into it harder and totally compress the Z switch. The difference is about 1mm, and as I found out the hard way, its the difference between perfect bed leveling and smashing the nozzle into the bed... !

Soldato
Got my first ever printer on Saturday and I've been playing around with it, learning loads. My first benchy is linked below...
https://imgur.com/a/BfCx3DS
I'm going to try dropping my temp 5C to see if that eliminates the hairs, and shifting my start points from speed optimised to random as I've got a noticeable seam on the flagpole at the rear (only adds about 4% to print time). I do have a very minor sag on the bridges so again, maybe 5C lower will help with that. The lettering on the bottom is visible too which I'm pleased with. All in all I'm pretty happy!

Suggestions welcomed!

Printed using XYZ ABS filament on a da Vinci Pro 1.0.

Man of Honour
So, is this likely down to be being cheap spool, or just unlucky?

So far I've not had a single instance of that touch wood - I tend to stick to just above the lower price bracket for filament though and I think that does have an impact on the chances of encountering it - I know 1-2 people who complain about it a lot but they buy the very cheapest stuff they can find so I'm not sure why they are so surprised LOL.

Associate
ALDI have filament in this week for £11.99 for 1KG 1.75mm PLA, any good?

£12.99 and online only isn't it? I've never used it so can say if it's any good but might be worth a try.

Although it says online only, they are selling a printer this week to which I assume is in store? They might have a few spools in store.

*Edit* looks like all online exclusives :(

Soldato
£12.99 and online only isn't it? I've never used it so can say if it's any good but might be worth a try.

Although it says online only, they are selling a printer this week to which I assume is in store? They might have a few spools in store.

*Edit* looks like all online exclusives :(

I just checked, you're right. Misinformation from the gf there haha.

Associate
Just picked up an ender 3 for £139.99 black friday deal from a competitor. Technically my christmas present so may have to wait until i can build it and play.

Any essential upgrades worth buying now and installing while building? already ordered some motor dampners.

Soldato
Just picked up an ender 3 for £139.99 black friday deal from a competitor. Technically my christmas present so may have to wait until i can build it and play.

Any essential upgrades worth buying now and installing while building? already ordered some motor dampners.

Many of the most useful upgrades you can just print.

However, off the top of my head:

Spares useful to have:
Spare nozzles
Spare PTFE tubing
4010 24v fans, my original broke and then one replacement broke. Good to have in stock and cheap.

Stuff you might want to replace pretty soon, also spares of:
Couplers for the tubing - the stock ones are pretty pony and quite likely to give you trouble as they don't tend to grip very well
Heatsinks for the steppers after you install dampers - not positive these are needed but the motors did get significantly hotter once the dampers were installed so I put some on (40mm square x 2)
235 x 235 glass or mirror - IF your Ender doesn't come with the jazzy build surface, I think they all do now?
Spare

Stuff you probably will want for your prints and upgrades
5015 blower fan (24v) if you print a Petsfang cooler. You can print the Bullseye version of the Petsfang though and use the stock blower, supposed to be good still but I haven't tried it.
Mixed m3/m4/m5 hex head screws, needed for some upgrades
m4/m5 t-slot nuts
608z bearings are used for a few upgrades

What I will say though is probably best to build it stock and then fit upgrades as and when - to rule out your upgrades being the cause of problems.

Back
Top Bottom