• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

G-sync monitor versus high refresh rate, 120hz/144hz monitor

Soldato
I'm a bit confused as to the advantages of running a high refresh rate, say 144hz on a monitor instead of using G-sync. I have a gtx1070 but an ordinary monitor running at 1440p, so which would be better, replacing monitor with a G-sync screen with the gtx 1070, or just replacing the monitor with a high refresh rate, 120hz-144hz.
Obviously the last choice is the cheapest if I was to just replace the monitor.
Any opinions?

Associate
I think it depends what games you play. Certainly competitive fps players like high refresh monitors but you need the horsepower to max out the frames. I have 120 Hz monitor with g-sync. If I had to choose I would definitely go for g-sync as it really is a game changer. Once things go over 60 fps I can't really tell much of a difference but everyone is different. I tend to play slower paced games though

Man of Honour
There is no substitute ultimately for decent FPS/Hz - G-Sync helps to make lower refresh more tolerable and removes some of the need to push higher framerates to keep things smoothed out but it doesn't magically make 60Hz feel like 120+Hz (unless you are more sensitive to overall smoothness than all out latency).

If push came to shove personally I'd buy a 120+Hz monitor without G-Sync over 60Hz with G-Sync but higher refresh + adaptive sync negates the needs to make a lot of the compromises.

These days I find 75-100Hz + G-Sync pretty tolerable for single player (whereas before I'd have needed much higher framerate to find some compromise between latency and tearing that I was happy with) but I still like above 100FPS/Hz for faster paced games.

Soldato
OP
So it seems a bit of a trade off really with 120hz+ seeming to be a real option to G-sync (damn sight cheaper as well).

Next question, is there much of a noticeable difference when gaming between 120hz and 144hz?

Edit: Just noticed the price of the "one" 120hz monitor for sale here, so thats a no go, so 144hz it is then.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Next question, is there much of a noticeable difference when gaming between 120hz and 144hz?

There might be some individuals that say so but for most people it won't be a deal breaker. I would take a higher overall quality screen at 120Hz over going for 144Hz outright personally and I come from the old 125fps Quake days, etc. though I wouldn't say there is no difference either but it is pretty small.

Associate
So it seems a bit of a trade off really with 120hz+ seeming to be a real option to G-sync (damn sight cheaper as well).

Edit: Just noticed the price of the "one" 120hz monitor for sale here, so thats a no go, so 144hz it is then.

The higher your refresh rate is the less tearing you will notice even when gaming at a lower fps at the high hz. For example playing at 65fps at 85hz = judder and tearing, same fps at 120hz = less judder and less noticable tearing. You should opt for 165hz at 1440p for example. Also the input lag will feel better the higher hz the monitor refreshes.

Back
Top Bottom