A weekend in the Lake District

smr

smr

Soldato
Last weekend I enjoyed a long stay in the Lake District. Just me, my camera and some breathtaking scenery. Bliss.

First light; the first night. After a 4 hour journey from Leicestershire I checked into the cottage in which I was staying and unpacked a few things, I'd bought a book just before my trip (the Fotovue Lake District guide (which was to be my best companion, along with my flask), and from it decided to head over to Buttermere. I hadn't realised the time and that sunset was not too far away. Along the way and just before arriving at the lake I had to stop off before I got there because the sky looked fantastic.

Mountains of Colour by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

By the time I had got to the lake the sun had set and blue hour had rolled in, fortunately the conditions were very nice, calming and peaceful...

Blue Hour Buttermere by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

The next morning I was up early for sunrise and headed over to the Duke of Portland Boathouse

Duke of Portland Boathouse by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Ullswater the same morning, facing the southern end of the lake, the weather cooked up a treat of light and textures...

Mountains of Cloud by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

The next morning it was an early start and onto Surprise view, but the best thing about this morning was photographing Ashness Bridge with no one else around, just myself and beautiful scenery:

Ashness Bridge, Lake District by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

That afternoon I drove back over towards Buttermere. But before that a visit to Derwent Water...

Simplicity by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

The winding road and stream that approaches Buttermere from the North. The light making spotlights across the valley and looking quite spectacular with the brooding storm clouds above

Patters of Light by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Unlike the previous two days I decided to stay in bed, having looked at the forecast I could see that conditions would be quite bleak on Sunday morning, heavy rain and clouds forecast, though the forecast in the afternoon looked more promising. The rain was due to cease and there were clouds about. So I was hoping for some good light. With this, and after another big breakfast I packed up and decided to drive over to Wasdale and enjoy "Britain's finest view", or so the guidebook said, I couldn't disagree. As I arrived I noticed around 40 or so people on the shoreline, vans and film crew rigs were in abundance. I hadn't realised but I'd parked right next to the film set of the TV Show 'Britannia'. I arrived at around 1pm, and enjoyed a sandwich I had picked up earlier along the way whilst watching the actors act out a scene from one of the forthcoming episodes - quite surreal!

The road bridge along the shoreline of Wast Water...

Wast Water Bridge by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

And just as I had hoped, and to round off a lovely weekend, the light at the end of the day was gorgeous... Britain's finest view...

Wasdale View by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

At Wast Water, looking towards the mountains.

Mountain Light, Wasdale Valley, Lake District. by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

At Wast Water again, the evening light was rather nice..

Angles of Light by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

On the shoreline, earlier that day..

Rocks on the shoreline by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

My take on the lone tree at Buttermere, I parked in the car park near the pub, and actually went the wrong way, towards Crummock water! So to finally find the tree was nice. I can see why it's so popular, it looks so frail and isolated and against the backdrop of the mountains just heightens that sense. So I wanted a low shot with the tree dominating, filling the frame but the mass of swirling and brooding storm clouds in the distance looking foreboding over the frailty of the tree. Just as I planted the tripod the winds started to really pick up, and then heavy rain and gusty winds ensued. So this was the only shot I managed to get. Just before the storm hit.

The Lone Tree by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Very nice, the only criticism is the distracting foreground on the Wast Water Bridge image, maybe shop the twig out to see if it helps with the composition?

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Very nice, the only criticism is the distracting foreground on the Wast Water Bridge image, maybe shop the twig out to see if it helps with the composition?

Thanks, unfortunately my photoshopping skills don't extend to being able to photoshop that out.

Associate
Excellent pictures. I often wild camp in the Lakes (I am only 1 hour and 30 minutes away) and it is a stunning part of the world.

Soldato
Great shots, and what a great way to spend a weekend.

My only criticism would be that the FOV seems overly narrow on a lot of the shots. Like you're shooting at 35mm when it looks like it wants to be something like 18mm for a more dramatic look, and the ability to actually get more in the frame. Some of them feel a bit claustrophobic which is strange considering the subject material.

Back
Top Bottom