IBM to purchase Red Hat

Man of Honour
I just came here to post the same :)

It's certainly an interesting time for Linux. Suse was was also bought a few months ago. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft made a bid for Canonical soon.

Soldato
All over the internet. New just broke. :eek:

Red Hat announcement.

Article.

Personally I don't like it. But we need to wait and see.

In what way don't you like it?

IBM have said they're going to keep Red Hat a separate entity, so no issues with how they're going to operate as a company. If anything, it'll be a boom for them, as they'll be given a much larger resource pool.

A few Red Hat customers I've spoken to already see it as a good thing :)

Soldato
I'd be concerned for CentOS/Fedora going forward on this one!

Also, as Hades alludes to if MS do go for Ubuntu, i wonder if there still living by there old moto "Embrace, extend, and extinguish" they are one the of worlds largest contributors to open source, so there clearly in the extend part, when do we get to extinguish!....

I guess we always have OpenBSD to fall back on.

Soldato
One of the things that made RHEL and their other products so popular was their reasonable licensing costs v Oracle/IBM products. If they start pushing up prices it will be interesting to see what happens.

I am a huge fan of Red Hat so it will be interesting to see how this works out.

Soldato
OP
In what way don't you like it?

IBM have said they're going to keep Red Hat a separate entity, so no issues with how they're going to operate as a company. If anything, it'll be a boom for them, as they'll be given a much larger resource pool.

A few Red Hat customers I've spoken to already see it as a good thing :)

I'm abit sceptical as these big corporations always have their own agendas.

Soldato
you can bet they'll be recouping that 34billion asap. IBM licencing is a nightmare, just getting it to work is insane. We're looking quite seriously towards ubuntu, we have a pretty solid refusal to do business with IBM ever due to past issues.

Soldato
OP
I still think this is a bad development.

We have to wait and see how things pan out over the next few years.

But what happens if IBM ruin Red Hat? What's going to happen? I mean sure Linux doesn't end but things are gonna get messy.

Red Hat is the biggest player. The biggest player in the corporate space.

Where would this leave Centos? Maybe they would fork it off from Red Hat and go it alone.

Someone else like Suse might have an opportunity to step in to Red Hat's shoes and became what Red hat currently are.

This is a bit like Brexit.

Unknown territory.

Soldato
having dealt with IBM extensively in the past as well as Red Hat ... I don't think that it is a good thing. It's not as if Red Hat hasn't got its own issues and the level of service we have had from them has gone down in the last year or so (don't get me started on Red Hat "Consultants" who don't actually know the product they are consulting on nor on software releases which have way to many bugs when they ship).

Suse (SLES) is already used extensively in some parts of Europe and, if you are not using clustering, then Oracle Linux is downstream from Red Hat, and has a free license tier which allows you to patch (unlike Red Hat)

Back
Top Bottom