LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Associate
Someone mentioned at Reddit that the Gsync variant lacks sRGB emulation? Does it mean that it could have more inaccurate, oversaturated colors? Is there any reason why such difference is between these Freesync and Gsync variants? Does it matter in real-life gaming use?

Sorry, I'm really new about these things.

I'm still considering this as my next monitor, but I've also started questioning whether it would be worth losing the Gsync feature and getting the Freesync version monitor- which has many features that the "G" lacks.

Last edited:
Associate
Someone mentioned at Reddit that the Gsync variant lacks sRGB emulation? Does it mean that it could have more inaccurate, oversaturated colors? Is there any reason why such difference is between these Freesync and Gsync variants? Does it matter in real-life gaming use?

Sorry, I'm really new about these things.

I'm still considering this as my next monitor, but I've also started questioning whether it would be worth losing the Gsync feature and getting the Freesync version monitor- which has many features that the "G" lacks.
Yes colors will be over saturated unfortunately. If you want accurate colors, then this probably isn't the monitor for you.

I am personally going with the Dell since it covers about 99% SRGB and can be bought at 850$, the LG if going to sell at 1400 USD. An extra $500 for POSSIBLE issue-less 120hz and 2.2 gamma via OSD adjustments. Not worth it.

EDIT: Oh an crappy 1 year warranty in the US.

Man of Honour
It’s true that the colours of a wide gamut backlight will look more vivid and saturated but remember that a lot of more casual users will actually prefer this. Especially for general gaming and multimedia.

Not having a reliable sRGB emulation mode is a problem if you need to do any colour critical work, photo editing and that kind of thing with standard sRGB content. Otherwise it’s not really an issue for general users and you might find it’s actually preferable.

Associate
Thanks for your answers.

Well, I think I need to see the monitor live, hopefully it will be possible in some local store in the future. I do sometimes work on photos, graphic design, etc. but back in the day I already got used to doing such things even on 22" TN panel that I usually can work around...

But then again, it's another element towards the Freesync version. I personally don't like oversaturation and contrast is more important- hence I'm again then starting to also consider VA monitors, such as lg 32gk850g for example...

It's been an interesting year, I've tried comparing so many monitors online but I think I just really need to see some in action to actually make up my mind, as it's always a question of what features are the most important and what can be compromised. So, I guess I'll wait until I can see these LG ultrawides on in the wild.

Thank you gentlemen for all the discussion and information, nevertheless, it's been fascinating to follow this thread ever since July.

Associate
How would you calibrate a wide gamut with colormunki display?, only option I see is "Wide Gamut CCFL". Quick googling says it can but always stop short of explaining if you need to set anything differently.

Also is the input lag in the F 144hz version really an issue?, the specs are a lot more attractive on the freesync panel with better calibration,contrast and higher hz.

Man of Honour
How would you calibrate a wide gamut with colormunki display?, only option I see is "Wide Gamut CCFL". Quick googling says it can but always stop short of explaining if you need to set anything differently.

Also is the input lag in the F 144hz version really an issue?, the specs are a lot more attractive on the freesync panel with better calibration,contrast and higher hz.
that's probably the best option to select in the software in the absence of any wide gamut LED options. The 9.8ms of signal processing lag is not that major on the F model. May impact very fast, competitive gaming but it's likely to be low enough still for most normal / casual gamers

Associate
Baddass: Does the F version suffer from any frameskipping issues when used with an Nvidia GPU?

I remember you found that some of LG's other ultrawides would frameskip at 75Hz on Nvidia. I'm curious if this is still an issue.

Ideally I'd always be using the display with an AMD GPU but for hooking it up to other PCs it would be good to know if it has issues with Nvidia.

Associate
Baddass: Does the F version suffer from any frameskipping issues when used with an Nvidia GPU?

I remember you found that some of LG's other ultrawides would frameskip at 75Hz on Nvidia. I'm curious if this is still an issue..

This panel is true 144hz native, it wont have any problems at all on Nvidia other than not be able to use the freesync tech. Last I seen one of them 75hz screens they werent true native but overclocked numbers.

that's probably the best option to select in the software in the absence of any wide gamut LED options. The 9.8ms of signal processing lag is not that major on the F model. May impact very fast, competitive gaming but it's likely to be low enough still for most normal / casual gamers

Thanks, from what I can tell W-Led should still be used still for Wide Gamut, colormunki should still calibrate it as normal. Its like pulling Hens teeth trying to find accurate info, but I'm a dolt when it comes to this lol.

For the input lag I compared the results to the Dell 2715h I'm using and suprised to see my current monitor is faster (feels alittle sluggish but might be the 60hz). My biggest worry is I once tried the Dell u2717d and it was bloody awful for input lag (20ms on tftcentral) and completely unusable even on desktop. They never make buying monitors easy do they 8(

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
Received Alienware AW3418DW today. While it is noticeably better with glow than 950G (and significantly worse with everything else, literally) it is still far from the quality of my UC98. So generally my UC98 broke (stuck pixels and two permanent white horizontal lines on the bottom of the display) and almost 3 years later I will be buying it again because the quality of ultrawides went backwards since then. Someone should get a freaking innovation of the century award. Maybe I will try 38" 3840x1600 just to make it at least some upgrade, because buying the same UC98 again would be ridiculous.

The decrease in general performance on 950G and AW3418DW is far too significant vs UC98 for me to accept. UC98 is just outclassing both with picture quality, especially way less glow. I am sending both back on Monday. I really underestimated UC98. I loved it from the first day, but I could see some flaws and wanted to upgrade. Now I see how good it is.

Compared to current models, I wouldn't consider the UC98 to be a gaming monitor, as it is restricted to 75Hz. Also, many in this thread prefer to have GSync (since this thread is primarily about the 950G). The UC98 looks more like a productivity monitor to me, so I'm not surprised that picture quality is better... however, your UC98 may be a particularly good unit, and others may not be so good.

Associate

That'd probably be ok in the absence of anything else. The only alternative would be to get a higher end colorimeter like the i1 display pro which has a better sensor and more options in the software. There may also be third party software which would work with the Colormunki and give you more functionality, but I haven't looked into that.

Associate
The 38UC99 is the only one I remember that frameskipped at 75hz using a nVidia card.

All LG 75 Hz ultrawides did that, 34UC88/34UC98/34UC99/38UC99, the new ones like 38WK95C probably do that too. They are all 75Hz with FreeSync or 60 Hz.

Compared to current models, I wouldn't consider the UC98 to be a gaming monitor, as it is restricted to 75Hz. Also, many in this thread prefer to have GSync (since this thread is primarily about the 950G). The UC98 looks more like a productivity monitor to me, so I'm not surprised that picture quality is better...

This is common and globally very damaging misconception and stereotype, that gaming is only playing some e-sports FPS crap over and over and if you don't have "gaming" everything in your setup then this is not even gaming. This is exactly why gamers are treated like idiots by all manufacturers with embarrassing marketing and design and heavily compromised quality of products, and also this is why gaming in commonly considered a low form of spending time for retarded 12 year olds.

I would also prefer to have G-sync because I really loved how it worked on 950G, this is was the reason to pay the ridiculous money for 950G in the first place, but it cannot come at enormous compromise to display quality like it does now. I would pay even much more than this $200 tax to have a G-sync on some quality ultrawide, but unfortunately you don't simply insert G-sync to a display of your choice.

however, your UC98 may be a particularly good unit, and others may not be so good.

Yea I know, all of 8 ultrawide units of 7 different models I have tested in last 2,5 years somehow were bad or even damaged, but miraculously UC98 was the only good one by an enormous margin:p

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
This is common and globally very damaging misconception and stereotype, that gaming is only playing some e-sports FPS crap over and over and if you don't have "gaming" everything in your setup then this is not even gaming. This is exactly why gamers are treated like idiots by all manufacturers with embarrassing marketing and design and heavily compromised quality of products, and also this is why gaming in commonly considered a low form of spending time for retarded 12 year olds.

You are right and wrong, IMHO. Many games are very good at 60Hz, however, faster moving games such as FPS and racing games, for example, definitely benefit from a higher refresh rate. As a PC and gaming enthusiast, my interests span a whole range of games. For me, a gaming monitor should be good across the whole spectrum of games, not only excelling in those games that suit a lower refresh rate. When I say a gaming monitor, I'm talking about screen specs and function, not shiny lights.

Back
Top Bottom