Creating a Perl Compatible Regular Expression for use in PRTG Network Monitor

Commissario
I wonder if someone can help me please. This may or may not be possible.

I use PRTG to monitor some web page and I want it to error if it detects the following lines in a page of html.

Code:
<td bgcolor="GREEN"><FONT FACE="VERDANA" SIZE="2" COLOR="WHITE"><B>ITEM1
<td bgcolor="RED"><FONT FACE="VERDANA" SIZE="2" COLOR="WHITE"><B>ITEM2
<td bgcolor="GREEN"><FONT FACE="VERDANA" SIZE="2" COLOR="WHITE"><B>ITEM3

Unfortunately these lines don't just follow each other, they're not consecutive within the html otherwise it'd be easy to check for their presence.

PRTG supports Perl Compatible Regular Expressions (PRCE) as described here and I'm struggling to create one which checks for the presence of the three lines above.

Is it possible to use a Perl Compatible Regular Expression for this? If so, what on earth should it be?

Thanks.

Soldato
Test your regular expressions here:

https://regex101.com/

Paste in a sample of your output you want to test then play with writing regular expressions to match. Default even uses PRCE.

In principle though you could just do something as simple as using the pipe( | ) operator which does an "OR" to search for your three strings.

So...

<td bgcolor="GREEN"><FONT FACE="VERDANA" SIZE="2" COLOR="WHITE"><B>ITEM1
OR
<td bgcolor="RED"><FONT FACE="VERDANA" SIZE="2" COLOR="WHITE"><B>ITEM2
OR
<td bgcolor="GREEN"><FONT FACE="VERDANA" SIZE="2" COLOR="WHITE"><B>ITEM3

Would be...

<td bgcolor="GREEN"><FONT FACE="VERDANA" SIZE="2" COLOR="WHITE"><B>ITEM1|<td bgcolor="RED"><FONT FACE="VERDANA" SIZE="2" COLOR="WHITE"><B>ITEM2|<td bgcolor="GREEN"><FONT FACE="VERDANA" SIZE="2" COLOR="WHITE"><B>ITEM3

Your strings don't contain any special characters in the eyes of of a Regex expression so you shouldn't need to do anything special if you're using a GUI to change this.

You might want to make it case insensitive (/i) and maybe not include the "ITEM1" / "ITEM2" / "ITEM3" part if that can possibly change.

EDIT: Oh if there might be line breaks in the output then best to allow any whitespace characters between words:

https://regex101.com/r/gXyOee/1/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom