**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Soldato
@AWPC - when i loaded mine up last night (after an addititonal 25gb download :( ) i had my graphics set to ultra, although as i have an ultrawide monitor it didnt look to great as no support :(

i only played for about half an hour, and will give it another longer go in the next beta tomorrow.
I will try mine again then it would not let me set to anything except high preset which looks terrible!

Soldato
Tried to logon just to grab the latest patch but it will not let you do this so will have to go through tomorrows log jam around 6PM like many others now. Also now the game is broken the display is messed up so cannot even adjust the settings either!

Last edited:
Soldato
lol did Bethesda really screw up the game launcher that badly and then send a tweet that essentially amounted to "Just nobody click on anything in the launcher right now pls" :p

What a trainwreck... majorly unimpressed so far and honestly anybody who is pre-ordering or enabling this transparent behaviour of slapping together some barely working cash grab from FO4 assets and then charging everybody for it deserves everything they get when this is a big fat dissapointment

Soldato
Think I'll pass on this game until it hits bargain basement then may buy it, too many changes that I don't like, just as well I upgraded my F4 to GOTY version so just started a fresh game on that today which will keep me going for quite awhile, more interested now in X4 Foundations at the end of November then the crippled Fallout 76 game, shame could have been a great game.

Associate
Main issue for me was a lack of adjustion PC fov, fps locks, depth of field.
Run great for me and looks great if one asks me.
sure dated engine but fits the narrative after the war landscape.

I hope they fix and add the pc options as I got motion sickness due to the vsync forced option.
Been researching and hopefully the fixes will adjust that

Soldato
The Reddit discussion thread is full of things that people are asking for in the pc version. By the looks of it I dont reckon any of it will be implemented.

Game looks like it's gonna be DOA, glad I saved my cash

Soldato
I have to say it lacks that fallout soul but there is something about it which makes me want to play more.

Faster paced feels better suited to me to just pick up and go.

Beth favouring current trends vs what made fallout great.

Not a bad thing but will upset older hard-core fans

Man of Honour
I have to say it lacks that fallout soul but there is something about it which makes me want to play more.

Faster paced feels better suited to me to just pick up and go.

Beth favouring current trends vs what made fallout great.

Not a bad thing but will upset older hard-core fans

I think they're the main people who'll put up with the flaws. Who else would want to pay full AAA price + DLC + macrotransactions (it's not micro when you're paying $5 for a single item) for it? It's an ambitious but deeply flawed mix of PvE and PvP, which are fundamentally different things that don't really mix. It's such a bad PC port that they haven't even bothered making an UI for mouse+keyboard let alone included anything like a proper set of configurable settings. It has serious performance issues on consoles. It doesn't have mods. The only significant draw for it is that it's sort of Fallout, so I think the only people it will significantly appeal to is Fallout fans, i.e. people who will put up with the shortcomings because it's Fallout. People who will scour the gameworld for notes and tapes and discuss the ingame lore and how it fits in with the Fallout world. The "older hard-core fans" you mention. Some of them, anyway. I'd count as "older hard-core fan"(*) but I'll give this a miss until it's available for a tenner or they significantly change it (which will probably only happen if they allow modding so other people can do the job for them).

* I've bought Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3 plus 2 of the DLC, Fallout New Vegas plus all the DLC and Fallout 4 plus all the DLC (I pre-ordered both the game and the DLC), plus every one of the Elder Scrolls games including Morrowind with all the DLC twice (once on disc, once on digital years later). I've also watched hundreds of hours of detailed videos of various Fallout games (from Thenthapple and Oxhorn) to see stuff I missed and a lot more hours of Fallout and Elder Scrolls machinima for entertainment (I recommend Asychrony for a charming psycho raider's perspective, Manslayer for general derangement (and swag and Manly Men!) and Senile Scribbles for parody. Nuka Break is a good amateur attempt at live action roleplay in the Fallout world...there's a lot of fan-made Fallout content on Youtube).

Soldato
On holiday in Cyprus over the Beta period so will miss any play test of this, but from what I'm reading here (and as a huge Fallout fan) this looks like one to wait or miss?

I'd pretty much made my mind up to wait and I'm not seeing anything in here to the contrary, from the borked Beta launch to the empty world and performance problems I'm just not finding reasons to get the wallet out.

The lack of mods is huge thing for me, as peformance and visual problems can be nigh on irridicated in the previous titles with them, unfortunately in this case we are reliant upon Bethesda to do it with patching and that isnt a good thing.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
it just seems to be a fallout game that nobody has actually asked for

when you see some of the mods people have produced for fallout 4, iit had more life in it than Bethesda have managed with this

I hope something like fallout miami makes it out as it would e a big middle finger from fans of the game to the developers....look what you could have produced!

Associate
it just seems to be a fallout game that nobody has actually asked for

when you see some of the mods people have produced for fallout 4, iit had more life in it than Bethesda have managed with this

I hope something like fallout miami makes it out as it would e a big middle finger from fans of the game to the developers....look what you could have produced!

I love it.
I am a PC player so if the issues are fixed with the motion sickness for me I be there playing.
There is no surprise that console Ui is there and you need to learn some new stuff.
for me the game offers something no fallout game or such have been able to do.
a living world with people.

They have massive feedback atm, so lets see what they do with it.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
will be interesting to see what state this ships in, in 2 weeks. thats the issue for me 2 weeks and theirs so many issues and missing so much stuff when it comes to the pc and options. now maybe it was released in this form for beta to get other things fixed first i dont know, but i wont be touching it until the new year at least as it seems its just a over modded fallout 4 which has gone and broken it.

Soldato
I love it.
I am a PC player so if the issues are fixed with the motion sickness for me I be there playing.
There is no surprise that console Ui is there and you need to learn some new stuff.
for me the game offers something no fallout game or such have been able to do.
a living world with people.

They have massive feedback atm, so lets see what they do with it.

Problem is you only have a limit number of people on each server, you don't know if they will be good or bad or even kiddies going round being a pain, not to mention ganking in PvP etc , also no NPCs so building camps/settlements like in F4 is gone so not the same, bit pointless if you want to solo. Guess you are better off if you want multi-play, but Fallout has never been about multi-play and that is one of the reasons why I'm not buying this game.

Not all people want PvP or multi-play or being forced to play the way it is etc.. It is like they run out of ideas, "that's make it multi-play like Elder Scrolls online", come on they can't think of any thing better then that?

They could have made multi-play an option like in Mass Effect etc and even PvP rather then force it down your throats, what's wrong with PvP only servers or multi-play only servers, that way we are all happy.

I know a lot of people like me that feel the same, it's a strip down solo experience when you compare it to the other Fallout games, guess you will either like it or hate, but for me it's not worth the price or what I expect from a new Fallout game, hoping they do better on the next one down the road.

Last edited:
Soldato
I will still play the BETA I paid £1.49 to gain access to for 9 hours this evening then the next 2 sessions. Doubt I would ever buy even if its £5. Mainly because its so poorly conceived but also the setting just does not suit Fallout. Its now more of a generic location than anything else. The rural setting just does not fit into the Fallout universe very well. They should have made it vast destroyed cities & towns like 3,NV & 4. I suspect the main reason its in the countryside is because it was so much cheaper & faster to create the game world :rolleyes:

This is using from what I can see so far about 95% of the exact same graphics as Fallout4 for the models & buildings which is so cheapskate. Bethesda have created very little new graphics apart from the actual floor of the landscapes & the trees. If the game looked like a 2018 game should look like it would be slightly better but it looks way worse than Fallout 4 ever did something is also off about the filters used to soften & blur the image. The mist & smoke filters are too overpowering right now to hide the low resolution of everything.

The weapons are really terrible as well so annoying it takes forever to reload after a single shot is so irritating. In the near future its set in I find it hard to believe they did not have access to weapons which fire a lot faster this is clearly done to slow down gameplay & extend the gameplay time a lot.

Tonight I will be concentrating on just exploring the game world going to the ends of the entire map looking for interesting building & to see if there are any underground bunkers whatsoever (I do not think there are any large underground installations in this again probably too expensive to create) & avoiding all combat.

Another real problem I saw in yesterdays BETA session was some numpty moved his base camp to a sneeky location around the corner from a ghoul spawn point so they could sneak in & take the loot from my battle :eek: So I am fighting loads of ghouls which is hard enough without VATS & with the crippled weapons so this numpty pokes his head around the corner & I headshot him ;) as how am I supposed to know someone would be stupid enough to put their camp right next to this location :rolleyes: so then this player follows me around for ages trying to engage me in a fight I did not want so in the end I have to quit to get another server to avoid them! Ghouls animation is also shockingly bad as are most of the enemy animation cycles. They jump tens of frames & appear out of nowhere or get stuck in the air so you cannot shoot them which means you easily get overwhelmed with no way to fight them off leading to yet another respawn point & tedious click on every single item you want to recover from the respawn paper bag!

There are also plenty of other players who just want to mess around & try to lure enemies from their battle to you the MMO feature should be disabled if you want Solo its leaking to much into Solo play with no way to disable. On Xbox1 you can ignore all players on your server (you have to click every player 1 by 1 to do this though no global ignore all button) on PC they have not enabled this feature yet.

In its current state its barely an alpha needs another 6 months to just polish it further then another 12 months to improve on that as the game world is so empty feeling & lifeless. As it stands its going to get absolutely slaughtered if they persist with the release in 2 weeks :(

Last edited:
Associate
I will still play the BETA I paid £1.49 to gain access to for 8 hours this evening then the next 2 sessions. Doubt I would ever buy even if its £5. Mainly because its so poorly conceived but also the setting just does not suit Fallout. Its now more of a generic location than anything else. The rural setting just does not fit into the Fallout universe very well. They should have made it vast destroyed cities & towns like 3,NV & 4. I suspect the main reason its in the countryside is because it was so much cheaper & faster to create the game world :rolleyes:

This is using from what I can see so far about 95% of the exact same graphics as Fallout4 for the models & buildings which is so cheapskate. Bethesda have created very little new graphics apart from the actual floor of the landscapes & the trees. If the game looked like a 2018 game should look like it would be slightly better but it looks way worse than Fallout 4 ever did something is also off about the filters used to soften & blur the image. The mist & smoke filters are too overpowering right now to hide the low resolution of everything.

The weapons are really terrible as well so annoying it takes forever to reload after a single shot is so irritating. In the near future its set in I find it hard to believe they did not have access to weapons which fire a lot faster this is clearly done to slow down gameplay & extend the gameplay time a lot.

Tonight I will be concentrating on just exploring the game world going to the ends of the entire map looking for interesting building & to see if there are any underground bunkers whatsoever (I do not think there are any large underground installations in this again probably too expensive to create) & avoiding all combat.

Another real problem I saw in yesterdays BETA session was some numpty moved his base camp to a sneeky location around the corner from a ghoul spawn point so they could sneak in & take the loot from my battle :eek: So I am fighting loads of ghouls which is hard enough without VATS & with the crippled weapons so this numpty pokes his head around the corner & I headshot him ;) as how am I supposed to know someone would be stupid enough to put their camp right next to this location :rolleyes: so then this player follows me around for ages trying to engage me in a fight I did not want so in the end I have to quit to get another server to avoid them! Ghouls animation is also shockingly bad as are most of the enemy animation cycles. They jump tens of frames & appear out of nowhere or get stuck in the air so you cannot shoot them which means you easily get overwhelmed with no way to fight them off leading to yet another respawn point & tedious click on every single item you want to recover from the respawn paper bag!

There are also plenty of other players who just want to mess around & try to lure enemies from their battle to you the MMO feature should be disabled if you want Solo its leaking to much into Solo play with no way to disable. On Xbox1 you can ignore all players on your server (you have to click every player 1 by 1 to do this though no global ignore all button) on PC they have not enabled this feature yet.

In its current state its barely an alpha needs another 6 months to just polish it further then another 12 months to improve on that as the game world is so empty feeling & lifeless. As it stands its going to get absolutely slaughtered if they persist with the release in 2 weeks :(

empty?

Had stuff to do the 2 hours I played without even trying

Soldato
empty?

Had stuff to do the 2 hours I played without even trying
Your easily pleased & the target audience then knock yourself out ;) After well over 500 hours in Fallout4 & about the same in 3 & NV I expected a LOT more than this shovelware pre-alpha state edition :(

For anyone else keen to try tonight (£1.49 BETA keys are on cdkeys) you should really preload the game files about now it takes 2 hours minimum to grab that 47.67GB download then at least another hour to even install it as some files are compressed so the installer takes forever to uncompress all the data files to save you downloading about 2.3Gb more data :rolleyes:

Soldato
BAHAHAHAHAHA:

https://www.techpowerup.com/249105/...after-spectacular-bug-causes-download-deletes

TPU said:
Well, I suppose we were warned about bugs in the Fallout 76 Beta in advance but no one could have predicted it would be this.. freeing. So much so that a not insignificant fraction of participants in the Fallout 76 beta found their storage drives to be free of all 50 GB of downloaded files without notice. It got to a point where the Bethesda support account on Twitter put out a spectacular tweet saying "PC #Fallout76 B.E.T.A. players: We are aware of an issue with the client and are investigating. Do not click any buttons on the client for the time being." which has since been deleted. There were understandably upset people, including those on a metered or slow internet plan to whom downloading 50 GB again is a lot to ask for- even assuming they could do so and play again before the original beta period ended.

It must be noted that a beta test is for identifying issues such as this to begin with, and this is not the full game that one has paid for either. Although this bug not being caught until a public beta is still worrying, the public outcry to this bug has been a touch overblown and this is coming from the guy who gave Bethesda some unpleasant news and then some over their treatment of the latest addition to the Fallout game IP. To their credit, Bethesda have extended the beta session, as noted in the image below, to allow for a patch to the launcher client and that should hopefully fix this issue as well. Whether or not they did the right thing by not using Steam as a client is a matter for another discussion, relevant as it is now, and you are welcome to carry it out in the comments section.

comment said:
Not when the issue existed before beta and even before FO76 announcement.
The issue lies within that stupid abomination of a software called Bethesda Launcher and the way it distributes updates. Before Quake Champions went on Steam, I used to play through Bethesda Launcher and every patch/update was essentially a complete re-download of the game. E.g. every time you'd have to re-download complete game distro instead of an actual patch, and if this process bugs out on you or gets interrupted (which happened very often), your previous installation becomes non-existent and you have to start a 15-20GB download all over again. To be honest it was a hassle even on a 100Mbit/s connection. What they need to do is fire the entire team responsible for BL, scrap everything and either start from a blank sheet, or switch to Steam or any other distribution platform permanently.

Back
Top Bottom