Vita question

Soldato
So I bought a vita Slim earlier this year and I believe it is the Asia model (2006). I've sold it and the guy that bought was upset as the listing said 2000 (although at the time I just thought the 2000 was the only name for the vita Slim). He's complained a little and said that as its not a 2000 it's got a worse screen and uses inferior components. I've researched this and all I can find is that the last digit is the region where they are normally sold. I found a thread that said that, then he came back to me and said he repaired them so knows that there is a difference. Am I right in thinking this guy was just a bit of a chancer and is full of ****? Fwiw I sold the vita for 100 quid which is quite high as Vita's go, and yes before anyone asks it was ebay but it's the easiest place to sell for me.

Cheers, sorry about war and peace.

Soldato
Not sure on Vitas but PSPs varied region to region. It was always said that the Japanese version had a better screen. I never believed this until I used one

Soldato
If I remember right the first vita was the best version as it had all the ports.
But yeah the latest version had the worst screen quality.
The vita variants definitely were not equal to each other, so something to be wise to list the exact model on if you selling.

When I brought my vita, I deliberately avoided the slim model, wanted the original variant.

Soldato
OP
If I remember right the first vita was the best version as it had all the ports.
But yeah the latest version had the worst screen quality.
The vita variants definitely were not equal to each other, so something to be wise to list the exact model on if you selling.

When I brought my vita, I deliberately avoided the slim model, wanted the original variant.
I realise that, but this guy reckoned that slim to slim they were different for each region.

Associate
There isn't that much difference between the 1000 and 2000/slim in my opinion, but you are indeed correct that the 2000/slim are the same.
The 1000 model only weighs slightly more than 2000 model, the different screen quality between the 2 is noticeable, the main difference visually and physically are the buttons. The one benefit the 2000 model has though is it uses micro-USB for charging and not some special USB port.

Associate
I'm currently playing through Castlevania Dracula X(PSP port) on my Vita and it is sad that Sony killed it, there are games still being published in Japan today as the market is better.
The western support wasn't great and the fact Sony still gone for their own custom memory card like the PSP making it more expensive purchase in comparison to the 3DS.
I remember paying £50 for 4GB memory card pro duo for my PSP when they first came out.
The other thing I found quite annoying with Vita is you lose your save data if you delete the game icon.

Soldato
I feel if the vita wasnt deliberately gimped (prevented from output to large screens) it would have done a lot better, but sony were obsessed in keeping handheld and full screen consoles isolated from each other. Even the vita tv was japan only, these companies make strange decisions.

Nintendo also similar odd decisions by not making ds2/3 games playable on the wii u/switch.

The PSP was a success, and they lost a ton of sales probably from not having all the psp games available for it. e.g. crisis core.

Soldato
OP
I agree, as a 3ds owner (and now ex-vita owner:p). To rival the any nintendo handheld requires a lot of effort i feel, things like not using microsd doesnt help really. Also i had issues with aiming on some games where it was as though the stick was still moving which to be seems like poor quaility.

Soldato
I feel if the vita wasnt deliberately gimped (prevented from output to large screens) it would have done a lot better, but sony were obsessed in keeping handheld and full screen consoles isolated from each other. Even the vita tv was japan only, these companies make strange decisions.

Do you really think not being able to output games to a TV was one of the main reasons the Vita failed? The Vita TV was released worldwide under the PlayStation TV branding and it was terrible because this was a system with front touch, rear touch and gyro controls none of which are available if you're trying to play the games on a TV.

The Vita failed because everything about it was too expensive, and it never received a truly must have exclusive game.

Soldato
Do you really think not being able to output games to a TV was one of the main reasons the Vita failed? The Vita TV was released worldwide under the PlayStation TV branding and it was terrible because this was a system with front touch, rear touch and gyro controls none of which are available if you're trying to play the games on a TV.

The Vita failed because everything about it was too expensive, and it never received a truly must have exclusive game.

I personally knew a fair few people who didnt buy it for that reason yes. Sony should have either made vita games playable on the ps3 (so increasing game sales) or made the vita able to output to hdmi.

The lack of games thing is a closed loop problem.

Hardware sales low -> dev's wont make games for unpopular device -> customers wont buy device without good exclusives -> Hardware sales low (loop starts again)

The vita did ok in japan, but in japan the backwards compatible library was much more complete, so the vita already had the great exclusives from the psp era. But it also upgraded those games with anti aliasing etc. Sort of like how people are buying ps4 pro's to enhance base ps4 games.

The vita should have been released as an extension to the psp brand, a upgraded product, same games on both, but the games are enhanced on vita, and have the big screen output (which was also possible on psp). Prices been low help but they are not always the primary factor, there has been expensive consoles that did great and cheap ones that flopped. Vita's were cheap'ish in my opinion, better experience than a smartphone but also cheaper than a smartphone.

quote from here

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/pl...-or-ps-vita-is-dead-in-europe-and-na-1802020/

Looking at the PS store I was surprised to find that at some point they stopped putting PSP, or even PS1/PS2 titles on the Store. UK version of the store has maybe 1/3 of the titles from the US store, and maybe 1/64 of the titles in Japan store for the Vita/PSP.

Also this a quote from gamefaqs

They did have a plan pre-Vita launch that would have allowed you to buy digital versions of games you owned at a discount, but they never actually implemented it anywhere but Japan.

In short sony ****** it up. Half arsed release outside of japan.

Perhaps the biggest most well known PSP game ff7 crisis core, was not available on the psn store outside of japan for purchase on the vita, I am lost for words.

You couldnt buy physical PSP games as the physical slot wasnt on the vita.

I played and beat ff7 crisis core on my PC via an emulator, I really wanted to pay sony and SE my money for this game but they didnt want to sell it to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom