• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASUS VEGA 64 Strix *Improve VRM temps fix*

Soldato
The law has changed I think? They can't deny warranty based on removal of a sticker anymore. Would have to proof consumer damaged item over failure. Sticker is sort of irrelevant now. Same goes for PS4 / Xbox stickers etc.

If it's different in UK, maybe someone can clarify.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/11/ftc-warranty-warning/?guccounter=1

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...-stickers-sony-microsoft-nintendo-ftc-letters

UK law says they don't have to warranty an item that has been "modified" by the customer. So a sticker might not be enough but swapping a thermal pad is still a mod.

Having said that i think Asus do allow cooler removal so they might not even care that you've replaced the pads as long as you havent mashed anything else in the process.

Soldato
do this with all my cards and boards, but lucky enough to have 17w/mk pads from alphacool at £70 a strip...

asus 2mm is fine, you can see slight indentation which is just fine , the thicker the pad the worse the thermal transfer is between the heat source and the heatsink cooling it - did the same for my 1070 strix under waterblock with their paste and managed 2.2ghz on the core :D

i think stock pads at max 2w/mk by default , going up by double the w/mk transfer the price quadruples

Soldato
The Panasonic EYGT7070A30A - Thermal Pad (Graphite Sheet) 70 mm x 70 mm x 3 mm, 13 W/m.K is much better value, at around £25-40 (per sheet) if you plan on doing a few cards. I've used quite a lot of it, and it does come in other sizes, much cheaper than buying from computer shops etc.

Soldato
The Panasonic EYGT7070A30A - Thermal Pad (Graphite Sheet) 70 mm x 70 mm x 3 mm, 13 W/m.K is much better value, at around £25-40 (per sheet) if you plan on doing a few cards. I've used quite a lot of it, and it does come in other sizes, much cheaper than buying from computer shops etc.

70x70x3 is almost £50 per sheet in UK, compared to Thermal Grizzly 100x100x2 for £23.
One is 490mm2 and the other is 1000mm2, twice as much.

Soldato
So once the VRM fix is applied, undervolt is applied, what is the maximum core clock you can get with the Asus VEGA 64 ROG STRIX OC? Is it still less than the Powercolor / Sapphire Nitro+ VEGA cards?

Soldato
I've done the above, any info on the undervolt and i'll have a play.
In his previous video he explains what he changed in Wattman to undervolt >> https://youtu.be/N-GCUv1p_sU?t=574

I asked the person who did the YouTube video earlier in the comments, he said that the VRM Temp FIX video also includes undervolting. I snipped part of the video showing the clocks info.

Seems to be between 1575MHz to 1590MHz roughly.

QpmU7LS.jpg

Associate
I have an Asus GTX 1080-A8G and could see a gap between the fets and thermal strip. Instead of breaking the card down, I just wrapped some fishing wire around the heatsink and tied it to the top of the case closing the gap. Seems like A flaw of some kind to me. just to note , we also have an Asus GTX 1060 OC which doesn't seem to have the same problem. I did try to tighten all the screws I could get too but they all seemed to be tight.
The Mind Boggles!

Soldato
According to someone who commented a week ago on the Asus Strix Vega 64 - VRM Temperature FIX YouTube video:
F7GOS YouTube Video comment said:
"I just bought this card the other day and it's built slightly different. Asus addressed the issue by extending the metal frame of the gpu over the exposed VRM to act as its heat sink. I can't confirm the thermals though since I have yet to test the card."

This worth doing for a V56?
Might be worth asking in the VEGA 56 Owners thread >> https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-rx-vega-56-owners-thread.18789712/page-74

Last edited:
Soldato
I sent a msg to ocuk about the card heat problem and if they had the fixed version.

The reply.

Hi there, all the information I can go off at the moment is that out of the total large amount of cards we have sold of this model we have only received 5 back as faulty so I can only assume there is no issues with the stock we have.

To be fair I did a search myself and could not find any information about it.

Associate
In his previous video he explains what he changed in Wattman to undervolt >> https://youtu.be/N-GCUv1p_sU?t=574

I asked the person who did the YouTube video earlier in the comments, he said that the VRM Temp FIX video also includes undervolting. I snipped part of the video showing the clocks info.

Seems to be between 1575MHz to 1590MHz roughly.

QpmU7LS.jpg

Also got to remember that some will achieve better clock speeds than others, some run cooler than others etc etc. Only thing I was concerned about when making that video was getting the best out of what I had.

It does boost higher under other loads, for example when rendering out videos the gpu core clock speed is reported as nearly 1,700MHz so go figure :rolleyes:

Soldato
So, is the Asus card worth buying if you don't want to mod it and just play?
I got over £400 sitting in my account waitng I would love to spend it. hopefully before the wife thinks she can use it for other crap in the house :rolleyes::(:D

Back
Top Bottom