Bohemian Rhapsody

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I've followed them since 1973, seen them 4 times in the 70s and a couple in the 80's, I probably know the back story but I have zero interest in this film.
I've seen two Queen tributes this last week.
Your loss. Great film.

Man of Honour
Your loss. Great film.

I'm a proper Queen fan, I don't need this.
Last night watching Chess you knew that 99% of the audience only know the hits, if they had pulled out Ogre Battle or Liar etc they wouldn't have a clue.
They played Keep Yourself Alive and I heard people say "Is this a Queen song?" :(
This film is for them.

Caporegime
Saw it Yesterday too. Was a tiny bit too long IMHO. Good though, kind of felt like a film of 2 halves for sure, the first half being the better by miles. The Live Aid ending was cool to see. I have memories of it all as I was about ten at the time but I never really appreciated it at that age, obviously. Geldof made me laugh at loud, much to the confusion of a cinema full of Swedes.

Was Freddy that much of an Ahole? Good movie overall though, glad I saw it.

Soldato
Best film I have seen this year so far. Queen fans and none Queen fans must see. Yes some of the facts maybe a bit off but enjoy it for what it is and nice to remember the great music times.

Commissario
I've followed them since 1973, seen them 4 times in the 70s and a couple in the 80's, I probably know the back story but I have zero interest in this film.
I've seen two Queen tributes this last week.
I'm a proper Queen fan, I don't need this.
Last night watching Chess you knew that 99% of the audience only know the hits, if they had pulled out Ogre Battle or Liar etc they wouldn't have a clue.
They played Keep Yourself Alive and I heard people say "Is this a Queen song?" :(
This film is for them.
Oh the arrogance.

What makes you more of a 'proper Queen fan' than anyone else who has bought all their records, knows all their songs and is aware of the backstory? Is it purely because you're older than them and happen to have been alive when Freddie was still around?

I don't claim to be a huge Queen fan, certainly not what you'd consider a proper fan but I have most of their recordings and know most of the songs.

I saw this at the cinema today, it was the largest audience I've seen for any film in the last ten years, it was absolutely heaving. There were no young kids, the audience were incredibly well behaved. No screaming, no phones going off and no talking throughout the film. There was cheering and applause at the end.

Best film I've seen in years. Yes, there was some dramatic licence, there always is in this type of film and that's to be expected. It's entertainment and everyone who was there was entertained.

But you won't go and see it because you're a 'proper fan'. Your loss. It's superb.

Soldato
Saw it tonight.

I agree with a lot of the critics to be honest. The movie is fun to watch. It's great fan service. But it's a pretty tame "by the numbers" biopic that's fortunate to benefit from a great performance by Rami Malek in the lead role.

I had a good time watching it. But it has more in common with "The Greatest Showman" than "Ray" or "Walk The Line". It wasn't made for the critics. It was made to give the fans a good time. No doubt a Freddie Mercury biopic will be made, warts and all, one day (though I doubt it'll happen while the rest of the band live).
I saw it last night and couldn't agree with you more. I had a great time watching it, it does exactly what it's trying to and nothing more. That was enough for me to really enjoy it.

I'd love to see a proper biopic of it one day but as you say we'll likely have to wait for that.

Man of Honour
Oh the arrogance.

What makes you more of a 'proper Queen fan' than anyone else who has bought all their records, knows all their songs and is aware of the backstory? Is it purely because you're older than them and happen to have been alive when Freddie was still around?

Don't talk rubbish, the last time I used my age on here to make a point was 2002 and I was told off for it by younger members so made sure I never did it again.
I regard every person on this site to be equally knowledgeable as me if not more so, we have some amazing people on here.
This film does not appeal to me, why can't you just accept it.
I know at least 4 other early fans like me who have no interest and 2 of the guys have spent a fortune on Queen over the years, one even has a shrine in their man cave.
There have been many great documentaries on the band, warts and all, and I would tell people to watch those instead.
If you've got all the albums and know the back story then you are obviously a proper fan but according to some people who have watched it, it wasn't how they remember it.

Man of Honour
Let's just say that I've been able to watch 35 minutes of this farce up to yet

1) He did not meet May and Taylor by accidentally walking in on a Smile gig.
2) Makes no mention he was singing before Smile.
3) He didn't meet Mary on the same night
4) Before the first album was made he is lying on his back playing the opening to Bohemian Rhapsody (1975)
5) He's in the Bulsara household before the first album and plays Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon (1975)
6) Jim Hutton who he met in 1985! asks him what the song is called he's working on and it's Love Of My Life (1975)

Hollywood once again changing things.

Man of Honour
So you did go and see it then? :confused:

The clue is in the first sentence and I'm not allowed to say more. I've got the rest to get through.

Also Freddie was not that camp at the outset. From Sounds, Melody Maker and other mags he had a girlfriend and the early concerts I attended he was camp in the same way other artists at the time were. When he eventually came out properly it wasn't a shock but that's when he really went over the top.
Also Bohemian Rhapsody was his coming out song but we didn't know that at the time.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It’s a biopic, not a documentary. There is some artistic licence taken but that’s because it’d need to be 5hrs long if you were going to show the series of events exactly as they happened.

Ps, you need to hear this in a cranked cinema with a massive 4K screen.

#Wouldyoustealapoliceman’shelmet

Commissario
The clue is in the first sentence and I'm not allowed to say more. I've got the rest to get through.

Also Freddie was not that camp at the outset. From Sounds, Melody Maker and other mags he had a girlfriend and the early concerts I attended he was camp in the same way other artists at the time were. When he eventually came out properly it wasn't a shock but that's when he really went over the top.
Also Bohemian Rhapsody was his coming out song but we didn't know that at the time.
Ah ok, so you're just admitting to piracy then? Hmmm :/

Man of Honour
I thoroughly enjoyed it. I went with my brother in law who is an obsessive Queen fan and has a tribute act to them of sorts. He absolutely loved it. It's not a documentary, it's a movie and a very good one.

Man of Honour
and does biopic mean you can write whatever fake bits you like and it's OK?
I looked up Mike Myers part and that bloke doesn't even exist.

Ive assumed that the Mike Myers character is like a composite of several record executives who told them at various points that they wouldnt make it etc.

Man of Honour
Ive assumed that the Mike Myers character is like a composite of several record executives who told them at various points that they wouldnt make it etc.

I've read that which makes sense.
I made a mistake with Jim Hutton and the Love Of My Life song, it wasn't Jim Hutton but they still got the year wrong they met each other by about 4 years.

I'll await Hollywoods version of Black Sabbath when Axl Rose joined them in 1975 after writing Stairway To Heaven.

Caporegime
I've read that which makes sense.
I made a mistake with Jim Hutton and the Love Of My Life song, it wasn't Jim Hutton but they still got the year wrong they met each other by about 4 years.

I'll await Hollywoods version of Black Sabbath when Axl Rose joined them in 1975 after writing Stairway To Heaven.

It's a movie, not a documentary.

Back
Top Bottom