Z390- ASUS- Gene PCB breakdown

Associate
amount of heat at the back of these board (all z390 boards) is quite hot, specially if they are using doublers , which half the time is mounted at the back and explains the heatsinks :)

wonder if we'll start to see a change in case design to get airflow to the back side of boards

I've seen some boards that have a small fan under the shroud next to the backplate. I guess we might see more like that as time goes on.

Asus also has a fan built into an AIO block to cool VRM's now also.

Soldato
OP
I've seen some boards that have a small fan under the shroud next to the backplate. I guess we might see more like that as time goes on.

Asus also has a fan built into an AIO block to cool VRM's now also.

It's as if they knew this was coming! :)

would have been very bad if they didn't use noctua fan... Noise would have driven people nuts, down side is , as cheap as CLC are to make, those 120mm fans aren't for that unit . Damn good fans though !

Associate
would have been very bad if they didn't use noctua fan... Noise would have driven people nuts, down side is , as cheap as CLC are to make, those 120mm fans aren't for that unit . Damn good fans though !

I was going to buy some of those Noctua fans for my AIO. But wanted Red LED instead. So I went with the ML140 LED Pro fans.

I've used Noctua fans for a long time. But these Corsair ML fans are really good.

Soldato
Asus trade on name, not quality and hope they don't get caught out unless you are buying the very high end gear which is overpriced anyhow. When companies build a brand, and use the marketing and brand leverage to sucker people in, I am not sure who you blame the user. or the company themselves.

Soldato
OP
Asus trade on name, not quality and hope they don't get caught out unless you are buying the very high end gear which is overpriced anyhow. When companies build a brand, and use the marketing and brand leverage to sucker people in, I am not sure who you blame the user. or the company themselves.

Seems Asus got caught up in some VRM issues . Posted up thread of the boards on a new thread .
Seems every vendor is really getting hit more and more with rise of social media etc

Associate
In case anyone is interested. Asus has released a new Bios for the ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO WI-FI.

Version 06022018/10/317.88 MBytes

ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) BIOS 0602
- Improved system stability and performance.
- Updated Microcode for 8-core CPU.
- Improved DRAM stability.
- Fixed USB device issue.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-HERO-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Strange I can't find the bios for the non-WiFi version ?! even the download page is not accessible for the non-WiFi

Associate
I'm glad we have clarification, these are 4 phase boards.

I said a few pages back that i didn't know what they were running but it works. In the real world it has been proven effective by the likes of Der8auer and Gamersnexus with not just exotic cooling but also the kind of overclock someone at home might attempt.

That doesn't make Asus' race to find the cheapest parts to do a job any less dissapointing.

The better boards in terms of VRMs are Gigabyte, that has been clear from the off with z390. They simply put in more work on the VRM by the looks of it.

The Asus design is not the most efficient on paper, but neither does it seem to be holding back OCs as far as real world testing has shown.

But the 8 phase description is BS and they should be receiving flack for it.

Soldato
OP
@Distracted

the have far more influence then what Gigabyte and ASrock do , and they got stung for X470 entry boards and Z370 Ultra. Least Gigabyte have learnt and came with a solid z390, seems they'll have no excuses to do the same with AMD X570... if not then they are favouring intel =/

Hopefully Asus learn like the rest and next round will be overkill release - hopefully with the price tag remaining the same .

MSI have been only one with a nice climb and not over the shop, ASRock seem to have lost that edge from z87/97/170 personally

Back
Top Bottom