Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Associate
Given you change cars often I wouldn’t be put off by option 1. Isn’t it a 10 year warranty on the motor now or something. I wouldn’t expect values to drop steeply, just normal effect of miles and years. Not one for the long long term, but a couple of years of hooning won’t kill you financially!

Gt4 values will be effected by the new 718 gt4 when it arrives immenantly. Heard reports it a detuned gt3 motor, but nordschleife vids sounds like a turbo, who knows! Either way the new one is bound to effect 981 gt4 values.

OcUK Staff
OP
Given you change cars often I wouldn’t be put off by option 1. Isn’t it a 10 year warranty on the motor now or something. I wouldn’t expect values to drop steeply, just normal effect of miles and years. Not one for the long long term, but a couple of years of hooning won’t kill you financially!

Gt4 values will be effected by the new 718 gt4 when it arrives immenantly. Heard reports it a detuned gt3 motor, but nordschleife vids sounds like a turbo, who knows! Either way the new one is bound to effect 981 gt4 values.

It is a good point about the 991.1 GT3, basically never a keeper due to engine issues, but maybe a case of grab one, thrash it for a year, then trade it against a 991.2 GT3 if its totally amazing or chop/sell for something else.

I don't think I change my cars that often, the Golf R was just a stop gap whilst I waited to take delivery of a new Mustang, think I owned the grey mustang for around 18 months and before that I had 911 which I had for nearly five years and the M3 I've now owned for 6-7 years.

Lets see, I shall probably just keep my eyes on the car market, in the meantime probably pay the SVR off, the rate was pretty good at 4-5% but if I pay that off saves me some money in interest, then if I do trade it in, no worries about paying off finance as that hurdle passed and even means a private sale is easy if I ever decide to move it on. Just not quite fond of letting go off it yet.

Yeah is new GT4 is FI can see current ones holding value or even going up a bit more, but if new one truly is a GT3 motor then current GT4 values will be hammered!

I don't want to rush into anything, SVR is epic and I can just bide my time and pounce should an opportunity arise.

Associate
I’ve got a deposit on a 992. I am hoping for it to eventually be a GTS but do you think I am daft to not consider something used sooner? I’ve noticed there are some used McLaren 570s that are similar money to a spec’ed up current GTS 110k-130k? Or would I find myself in a similar situation that I was with r8’s and making too many compromises spec/mileage/age wise to get it in budget?

All I’ve driven so far is a 911 Carrera for frame of reference as Porsche Sheffield never seem to have anything else in.. just a manual GTS 991.2 and a Carrera T 991.2 manual (which the guy I am dealing with seems keen to say they are not great).

I should have gone with Porsche Leeds as I can see they have 2 porsche 911 C 4 GTS PDK in right now.. it was Leeds I spoke too first in fact but Sheffield is so much closer and I assumed (wrongly) that with them been the same group and buying this kind of value car that it wouldn’t be an issue to try cars from other locations..

Last edited:
Associate
Pretty personal decision. I’m sure the 992 will be plenty fast and have the latest tech, but I’m not sure on the looks at the back myself. Seems a Panamera mess. Probably different in the flesh.

For me, I could never wait that long once I’d made my mind up! Instant gratification lol.

My view is that the GTS is the pick of the range right now and has been for a while. The later .2 has lost something of the soul with its new turbo power plant and the older 3.8 sounds great, although the new .2 is much quicker in the midrange.

I’d try the T before discarding the idea, it’s supposed to be a bit special so long as you go for the full T spec, which is no back seats, T interior, buckets, thin glass and ceramics plus the manual. Nice car and something a bit more special than a Carrera.

Associate
Yea I agree with everything your saying.

Also waiting for a GTS (2020) allows me to save up more and more deposit so therefore doing it more comfortably and probably get an epic spec.

I’ve made contact with mclaren Leeds anyway.. they’ve sent me the list of there used stock. Lots of 570s around the £130k mark. The depreciation seems pretty savage though... £150k car plus options at £130k a year later and plenty to choose from.

https://www.parks.uk.com/mclaren/used-cars/

Man of Honour
Prices are softening and softening fast from what I am reading.

I think a 991 GT3 £20K below list would be a good place to be and I think that will happen sometime next year.

Permabanned

I think a 991 GT3 £20K below list would be a good place to be and I think that will happen sometime next year.

I got rid of mine at the right time! :)

Although that's why I did it tbh... they don't have a habit of staying so far over for very long, it's only the impatient uber rich that keep them that high to begin with.

They're great cars, but they're not worth the kind of money they were going for just after release... that's what made me look at 488s & 720s as their price was too close to not think about it.

I wouldn't mind a 911R or GT3 Touring as a daily though... I've been craving a 911 as a daily... only reason I've gone through M4 CP & next Vantage is because I fancy trying some different things.

I'm pretty certain I'll end up with a 911 as my daily drive... they're the perfect all rounder with the reliability, build quality and residuals to back it up.

I loved my GT3... it was a fantastic car, everything I hoped it could be... it really is the perfect weekend/track car that you can just rock over to Germany in, blast around Nürburgring & then drive back home again in the same day without any real worries. It was just too compromised a road car to be a daily & too compromised a track car to get what I wanted. At least I've had one & driven it in the way it was intended.

I'd have loved a V10 R8... shame I don't like them... well, I like the package and idea of them... it's just the seats and steering wheel shape don't work for me, so dallying one wouldn't work for me... entirely personal preference/fitment, nothing against them at all - they're "the other" fantastic do everything car on the market.

At least... for those who don't need a boot or usable back seats, hehe.

Still need to drive one at some point to satisfy my curiosity... the V10 R8 has one big thing the latest Porkas are missing... epic noise.

RSR

RSR

Soldato

What's are the 991.2 GT3's selling for at the moment?

alx

alx

Soldato
Anyone here own or have experience of 2nd gen Cayennes? Specifically pre facelift ones, been looking at GTS version but wondering if they're typically problematic? I'd put a Porsche warranty on any one I bought but would be good to get an idea of ownership experiences.

olv

olv

Soldato
Expensive to buy, more expensive to run, weird cult status amongst fans, not the prettiest of 911s but the S does look great.

olv

olv

Soldato
There's a boat load of info from owners on the Porsche forum on Pistonheads so I would go and look there. Given the rapid increase in values of these cars, there's a lot of stuff for sale with high asking prices that need a lot of mechanical work so I would be very cautious.

Soldato
911uk forums are pretty decent and well used.

The aircooled 911’s are reaching cult status. I’ve never loved the 993, but people massively rate it.

The funny thing is that everyone slates the reliability of the water cooled flat six Porsche engines and then harps on about how great the air cooled models are. Many mechanical issues to be found! The 911uk forums are a treasure trove of aircooled engine rebuild threads and oil leak woes!

Last edited:

alx

alx

Soldato
Looking for some help, is anyone able to look up Porsche build/options list from the VIN? I haven't had much luck looking it up, but please bear in mind that this is a UAE (Dubai) car.

I'm looking at a car from a showroom/second hand dealer but they don't have the original Porsche options list. The car was bought in Dubai and serviced exclusively at the same Porsche dealer, but they haven't been very helpful in passing on the options list as I'm not the owner.

If anyone is able to help would be appreciated, VIN is WP1ZZZ92ZDLA75153

Soldato
Took my 997 into the local OPC yesterday for a service, other than the usual stuff like it needs new discs and pads at stupid prices all went smoothly, had the wheel alignment done (which In reality could have had done for about 1/3 the cost) which is cured the fidgety handling at speed. As they cleaned it I decided to give it a coat of wax today, lifted the engine cover to clean some of the excess wax away and noticed the coolant level was below the min level, surely that should have been checked and topped up even on the minor service? I have just received a follow up email from the service directly funnily enough asking if I was happy..... can't say I am tbh

Back
Top Bottom