System drive, M2 to NVME

Soldato
As above, currently got an M2 SSD , thinkibg of moving to an NVME, no change in capacity, only one game on system drive and that's cities skylines, all other games are on my Firecuda.

Any benefit of switching to an NVME? Laptop loads on life 5 seconds and it all seems snappy so not sirs it's worth it?

Soldato
OP
I'd love to replace mechanical drive with an M2 or NVME, but I'd need 2TB and I think prices are ludicrous for that. It's a shame I don't have a third slot on my laptop to add another drive.

Soldato
I'm not trying to down-talk you here just provide some info you may find interesting/useful. But M.2/NVMe are not exclusive terms, in fact almost all NVMe drives are M.2 form factor (the rare alternatives being PCI-E cards or U.2 drives).

M.2 is the name of the connector on the end of the little card with the chips on, it's the successor to mSATA which was the cards used before (primarily in laptops). M.2 form factor cards can either be NVMe (which usually means the card communicates directly with the PCI-E bus on the motherboard) or SATA (in which case they will communicate with a SATA controller on the motherboard). This is why some motherboards M.2 slots only support either NVMe or SATA drives, or both.

Soldato
OP
I think mine supports NNMe & SATA, because the laptop was advertised with NVMe support and it's showing in the bios too.

In regards to SATA to NVMe here, would there be any noticeable benefit? Is it work the 80-100 quid?

Back
Top Bottom