Morrowind still good?

Soldato
MGSO is breath taking, but on the rig in my sig I had it at the 3rd from highest quality preset which was recommended for like 250gtx and AMD athlon dual cores etc. because the ones above gave awful framerates, even on the one I chose it sat at about 40 most of the time. :(

Well worth it though, I think vanilla is either locked to 30fps or has no limiter and wasn't possible to force Vsync and screen tears constantly (it was one of the two), MGSO fixes that completely and adds HD support. Win win. :cool:

Associate
I have been looking forward to Skywind for a while now. Hopefully, not too long now. Also, at the highest settings for MGSO, I have seen my frame rate drop below 30.

Caporegime
I think you can play a part of what the modders have done with Skywind, though I'm not totally sure on that.

Yes, in MGSO I remember my 480 dropping to around 20 - 25 on occasion, though a great deal of the time I got a healthy frame rate.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you can play a part of what the modders have done with Skywind, though I'm not totally sure on that.

according to their page, its playable but all the characters/quests and most of the buildings etc are missing atm

looking forward to it myself, I have morrowind and I want to get into it but the timeshock is just too much, render distance for a start and the fast travel (yes I know its cheaty but for an initial few playthroughs its needed to keep the interest, once im used to it ill walk for rp)

Man of Honour
Well, I'm back playing this for the first time in about four years. Minimum mods: Better Bodies, Code Fix, plus a mod of my own which alters a few things like encumberance and the amount of gold certain shopkeepers have. Otherwise it's the official version with all the DLC and packs.

It's all slowly coming back to me though. In the years after it came out I played about 2500 hours of thins, and went with over thirty different characters. Some bits hold up well, some don't. I don't mind the combat (I always prefered a system where it's my character's skill that counts, not mine) but the lack of quest markers and fast travel are grating. It's not the "go west of X" stuff - I got the hang of that ages ago. It's where a quest involves going back to where the quest started, but the game doesn't even say where that ism never mind point to it.

Oh, the -ing cliff racers. I had fogotten how mind-meltingly annoying they are. You can't rest because they are there. But they are a hundred feet in the air, and won't come down. Or they mob you when you are trying to climb something. Aaaaaarrrrrgh......

Associate
I sank so many hours into this game. I don't know how well it will have aged but at the time I was playing it, it was amazing.

I never did try any of the others. I must get round to it.

Associate
Bought my first OCUK system (1Ghz Athlon ->1.33) when Morrowind came out.

Went back recently. Well, should have kept the rose tints. As usual, spent more time modding. But the reality is it needs the Skyrim engine conversion... I may die before that's completed.

Caporegime
This was one of the titles which proved too much for my voodoo 5. Even when dropping in a radeon 8500, although much better, it still wasn't faultless performance.

Man of Honour
There was a huge bug with the Radeon drivers of the time: if you turned the music down to zero, then whenever you entered an indoors cell, the frame rate slowed to a crawl.

Has the gama aged well? In many ways, yes. The combat is basic, but it's an RPG, not a sword-fighting game. The fighting is as good as any isometric RPG, and many third-person ones. The scenery is basic, but the weirdness of much of it makes up for it: all too many games are just Generic European Fantasy Land #3 these days. But the sheer complexity of it, the huge amount of background detail, the aformentioned weirdness, the fact that you can't do everything in a single playthrough, and the flexibility of it, stand up better than anything since.

Soldato
"Under moon and star, outlander"

Man, I loved this game so much. Like @Meridian says, the flexibility was amazing. So many ways to go about the game, and such depth and variety for the time.

I had to move back to my parents' for a few months in 2003/4, and this game was one of the few things that kept me sane! I'm pretty sure I stayed up all night playing a few times and then just went to work the next day absolutely shattered.

I have thought about playing it again, but I don't want to ruin the memories. I may have to revisit it if anyone ever gets around to actually releasing one of the updates on a newer engine, though.

Back
Top Bottom