What External Hard Drive are you using for your Xbox one or Xbox one X

Soldato
What External Hard Drive are you guys using for your Xbox one or Xbox one X ?
My Xbox one X Hard drive is completely full now so looking for which External Hard Drive most people are going for

Does 5400rpm VS 7200rpm make any difference in loading times with an Xbox one X ? :confused:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I use an ssd. The cheapest one I could find as it will be limited by the usb3 but is still much faster than any mechanical.

I just swap out my most recent games I play to the ssd and leave rest on the internal for storage.

Soldato
What External Hard Drive are you guys using for your Xbox one or Xbox one X ?
My Xbox one X Hard drive is completely full now so looking for which External Hard Drive most people are going for

Does 5400rpm VS 7200rpm make any difference in loading times with an Xbox one X ? :confused:
I use a Firecuda SSHD 3.5” in a enclosure with my PS4 which is the best performing setup baring a SSD. And I use a a small SSD as the external for my X. Pretty much anything is faster than the stock internal X drive.

Soldato
I use a Firecuda SSHD 3.5” in a enclosure with my PS4 which is the best performing setup baring a SSD. And I use a a small SSD as the external for my X. Pretty much anything is faster than the stock internal X drive.

This is what I use on my Xbox One X, the 3.5" firecuda drives are 7200rpm which does make a difference in seek and sustained data even with the SSHD nature of the drive.

Some people will tell you SSHD dont really improve speed and its only a fiddle due to the way the cache on a SSHD work, all i can tell you is im loaded into games before my friends every time on BF1, The Division, Destiny 2, pubg and most other games. the way a lot of open world games stream data in now is constantly accessing the same data over and over and it seems smother.

An SSD is better without a doubt but who is going to install a 2tb SSD on a xbox when for less then 25% of the cost you can get 80% of the advantage, and a 500gb ssd is pretty small these days you could fill it up with 5 games now (maybe even 4 if you picked the biggest games on xbox) but that said if your the sort of person who just plays 4-5 games to death then SSD maybe worth it to you.

Soldato
I've got a 250GB SSD in an enclosure, I transfer the games I'm playing most on to that. The rest live on the XB1X internal drive, I'm on 1GB fibre so it's no real hassle deleting games if I run out of space but I haven't done yet.

Associate
Conflicted on buying -
Seagate external Xbox HDD 4Tb, some places selling on offer for £90 .. as far as i can tell 5400 rpm mechanical , but plug and play usb3, no power supply required etc. Least hassle, but presumably slowest. Also some reports of latest version having reliability problems.

Seagate 2tb SSHD hybrid drive, 7200 rpm , 3.5 inch drive + enclosure another £30 ish , but presumably a lot quicker than the external and a lot quicker than the internal Xbox hdd.

Seagate 4tb hdd 5400 rpm , £85 ish plus enclosure , another £30 ish, dunno if any better than the standard xbox usb powered 4tb at £90 ish.

Probably dont need 4tb right now, so 2tb might cut it regardless.

Not sure on enclosures, the Icy Box OcUK sell the 373 looks ok at 27 , but on another site someone suggests its a 1.5amp psu and the seagate drives peak at 2amp. But the datasheets for the icybox suggest a 2amp psu.

Any suggestions ?

Associate
WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 High Capacity Portable Hard Drive. been using that for 3 years just powered off the usb socket on the rear of the console.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would avoid anything that uses an external power supply on the basis that you're more likely to run into issues if you use the instant on power saving modes (in terms of the drive going to sleep correctly, or not waking back up with the system).

Soldato
Conflicted on buying -
Seagate external Xbox HDD 4Tb, some places selling on offer for £90 .. as far as i can tell 5400 rpm mechanical , but plug and play usb3, no power supply required etc. Least hassle, but presumably slowest. Also some reports of latest version having reliability problems.

Seagate 2tb SSHD hybrid drive, 7200 rpm , 3.5 inch drive + enclosure another £30 ish , but presumably a lot quicker than the external and a lot quicker than the internal Xbox hdd.

Seagate 4tb hdd 5400 rpm , £85 ish plus enclosure , another £30 ish, dunno if any better than the standard xbox usb powered 4tb at £90 ish.

Probably dont need 4tb right now, so 2tb might cut it regardless.

Not sure on enclosures, the Icy Box OcUK sell the 373 looks ok at 27 , but on another site someone suggests its a 1.5amp psu and the seagate drives peak at 2amp. But the datasheets for the icybox suggest a 2amp psu.

Any suggestions ?
I use this enclosure with my seagate SSHD and PS4 Pro and it works flawlessly with PS4 power saving mode. EAXER Aluminum USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk External Enclosure Case for 3.5 Inch SATA HDD [Support Automatic Sleep Mode, UASP & 8TB Drives] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075WDLTQZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_mkW8BbRD105G3

Associate
I would avoid anything that uses an external power supply on the basis that you're more likely to run into issues if you use the instant on power saving modes (in terms of the drive going to sleep correctly, or not waking back up with the system).

Ah good point, oh well, i'd already bought the icybox and Seagate SSHD, cant see anything re power saving etc for the enclosure. So far seems ok though, but looks like its on 24/7.

Associate
Rather than starting a new thread, thought I’d resurrect this one, my Xbox one s has ran out of memory due to the discovery of ea sports pass and was looking to expand. I found an old hard drive 1tb WD my passport and formatted it to NTFS and plugged it in and nothing, am I missing something? It’s usb3

Last edited:
Soldato
You need to let the Xbox format the drive rather than formatting it via a PC. Go to the settings and storage and then let the xbox sort things out.

Back
Top Bottom