Help, trying to m.2 SSD, not showing in bios

Underboss
Hi all

I have updated my bios to the latest version
MSI gaming pro z170A

Put the Samsung 970 pro 512gb SSD in

Computer boots straight to bios and now m.2 genie is selectable, tried enabling and disabling this and still not showing in bios either way

Trying to get a photo uploaded via my phone is taking a long time, but I'll get one up, in the mean time and I doing anything wrong or need to do something in bios?

Thanks

Soldato
I went ahead and put my windows 10 usb stick in, and it's installing onto the drive, but it's not in my bios?

That's because you are looking at the SATA drive section in your bios, its not an SATA drive its a PCI-e drive so it wont show there, if you have now installed windows on it, goto Advanced at the top (F7), boot devices and select in the drop down list what should now say Windows Boot Manager (Samsung 970 Pro), save and exit and it will boot from it.

2d95krm.jpg

Last edited:
Underboss
OP
Thanks
like i said earlier was installing it , and im on it now , no problems, just wasent showing in the bios, not sure why it would show there, but there you go, found it now, thanks for the help

Whats the best settings to use?

Soldato

Enable XMP for your RAM for starters, also, in your boot devices earlier, disable them all except for the first boot device (your Samsung 970) it will slightly speed up boot times, saves it looking for other boot partitions on other drives, as ive basically done in my picture, you can just about see it, boot option 2 through to 7 is disabled.

As I cant really see you bios in detail, did you enable Windows 10 WHQL support / Disable CSM ? before you installed windows to the nvme drive ? are there other drives in you computer other than the nvme drive ? I always disconnect mine before installing Windows...….Windows install is very strange and I find it dumps files on other active drives if they are connected during the installation. Also bios set to UEFI mode or UEFI + Legacy Mode ?

Underboss
OP
Thanks
Yes i had the windows 10 WHQL on (and still is on) what ever that does..

UEFI seems to on automatically on my system, so yes to that (no legacy mode available)
XMP is now on, went from 2133 to 3000 :)

and yep disconnected ALL drives to install the new one :)

and disabled on boot sources except the ssd of course

Soldato
Thanks
Yes i had the windows 10 WHQL on (and still is on) what ever that does..

UEFI seems to on automatically on my system, so yes to that (no legacy mode available)
XMP is now on, went from 2133 to 3000 :)

and yep disconnected ALL drives to install the new one :)

and disabled on boot sources except the ssd of course

That's about it really, cant help you with overclocking the CPU, im out of touch with Intel overclocking.

Make sure you download and install the Samsung nvme driver, then reboot, this should really be the first thing you do once windows has finished installing, and also Samsung Magican, pretty sure there was a firmware update for these drives not so long ago, and magican is now the only way to update them: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

Back
Top Bottom