Soldato
Sorry but Avalon is quite correct (as usual). Virgin Media removed all downstream and upstream throttling and management on all products recently. If you're seeing slow-downs look at your local network first. Did you reboot your SuperHub lately? The service itself may be uncapped but the SH has a nasty habit of falling over if not rebooted every week or thereabouts. Local congestion can also obviously play a role.

ETA: I download a couple of TB (terabytes) a month at least, and VM never slow me down. The only time my speed dips is between around 7pm and midnight on a weekend or bank holiday, and that's just local congestion. Even then I'm still seeing 200 to 250 Mbps down. Certainly no correlation to download volume, as I pull down many GB throughout the day at full speed without issues.

Soldato
From what I understand (disclosure: i’m ex VM staff) they aren’t doing any traffic management on any unlimited products at present. That’s not to say the network will be perfect, far from it. Unfortunately even a decade plus after the merger they are still paying a price for the disjointed approach in individual franchise areas.

Soldato
This seems like the most appropriate thread to post this in. It’s recently become apparent to me that the current investigative powers legislation literally has an almost non existent threshold for pulling someone’s internet history, even if the alleged offence has no direct or indirect connection to any online activities/messaging. Some police forces are quite literally using this process for anything and everything, including the most minor of offences and/or where the accusation is obviously so unbelievable it’s not going to go anywhere. Unsurprisingly as it’s still a process overseen by the Police themselves with no external or judicial oversight, it’s seemingly a rubber stamp job.

Your privacy is yours to protect or give away as you see fit.

Soldato
I might just got an email for possibly downloading a TV show... if it were true it would be a first on me?

Unrelated, as the above didn't actually happen, I'm looking to pay for NordVPN. For another 9 hours they have a 75% off deal, for a 3 year sub, which works out as £129 for the 3 years. Seems good. I log in, I click the link to the offer page and it logs me out... click 'sign in' and back to that page... logged out.

I put in my registered email address and paid with PayPal (worst case I would hope I can claim it back through them). I now have no idea what my money paid for though. I've emailed them, we'll see what they say.

Do you really need to create a new account to use it? Would seem odd. I've not paid them for anything before, just used their 4 free days.

Anyone experienced similar?

**EDIT** Nevermind, it seems to have aligned itself now. So, anyone looking for a well priced VPN, if you're quick, NordVPN is around £2.86 a month.

Last edited:
Soldato
I might just got an email for possibly downloading a TV show... if it were true it would be a first on me?

Unrelated, as the above didn't actually happen, I'm looking to pay for NordVPN. For another 9 hours they have a 75% off deal, for a 3 year sub, which works out as £129 for the 3 years. Seems good. I log in, I click the link to the offer page and it logs me out... click 'sign in' and back to that page... logged out.

I put in my registered email address and paid with PayPal (worst case I would hope I can claim it back through them). I now have no idea what my money paid for though. I've emailed them, we'll see what they say.

Do you really need to create a new account to use it? Would seem odd. I've not paid them for anything before, just used their 4 free days.

Anyone experienced similar?

**EDIT** Nevermind, it seems to have aligned itself now. So, anyone looking for a well priced VPN, if you're quick, NordVPN is around £2.86 a month.

Nord (and most providers) runs sales like SCS, the TV advert stated till the end of December for the 75% offer.

Associate
seeing a we have a generic VPN thread, i have a ASUS RT66U and its running Asus Merlin firmware, and i have a nordvpn subscription, but no matter what server i use as the VPN client on Merlin, i can barely get over 10mpbs download speed, ping times arent too bad i can live with 40ms

Is this the limitation of the hardware of my router? Would i be better off building pfsense type router?

Soldato
Hardware is very likely to be the limiting factor. From what I've read only the newest 88U has a hope of achieving something significantly better from Asus.

If you really want to speed it up then a pfSense box with an AES-NI compatible CPU is going to give you much better performance but it isn't without a fair bit of additional cost for the hardware.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Any recommendations for VPN's with a vast array of IP's? I hear certain VPNs get blacklisted by sites because there are so many people routing through the same IP.

Associate
I use a Partaker Mini PC with six NICs, a Celeron 3865U and 4Gb of RAM. It can saturate my 70Mbps fibre connection through a VPN but don’t know how much faster it could go.

Ahh i've just found it on the rainforest, im assuming i would need to run a wireless AP something like the ubiquiti do allow for the wireless devices in the house

I quite like the machine, i see they do a rack mount version as well, interesting i am thinking about upgrading the network in the house, might finish the audio off in the living room and rebuild the server then overhaul the network, should keep me busy for the next few weeks

Soldato
Yes I use Ubiquiti access points and an Openreach modem with it. To be honest I’d never go back to an all-in-one again. Having best of breed separates makes for a very sophisticated and flexible setup. Policy based network wide VPN, VPN server to get into my network when away, isolated guest and IoT networks etc. etc.

Associate
Yes I use Ubiquiti access points and an Openreach modem with it. To be honest I’d never go back to an all-in-one again. Having best of breed separates makes for a very sophisticated and flexible setup. Policy based network wide VPN, VPN server to get into my network when away, isolated guest and IoT networks etc. etc.

Yeah i can see the advantages massively outweighing the disadvantages, thats one thing i haven't figured out yet, how to get my plex server accessible outside the network, but im not too fussed about it, as im thinking to change back to KODI i very rarely watch stuff out and about

Soldato
Yeah i can see the advantages massively outweighing the disadvantages, thats one thing i haven't figured out yet, how to get my plex server accessible outside the network, but im not too fussed about it, as im thinking to change back to KODI i very rarely watch stuff out and about

Literally open 32400 (or whatever port you run Plex on) and point it at your Plex server's IP.

Soldato

Port forward under the NAT menu on pfSense and create a rule to forward 32400 to your Plex server’s IP. Or don’t make it accessible and then use your pfSense VPN server to connect into your home network when out and about and the Plex server will then effectively be ‘local’ to you.

Soldato
Ahh i've just found it on the rainforest, im assuming i would need to run a wireless AP something like the ubiquiti do allow for the wireless devices in the house

I quite like the machine, i see they do a rack mount version as well, interesting i am thinking about upgrading the network in the house, might finish the audio off in the living room and rebuild the server then overhaul the network, should keep me busy for the next few weeks

Before going down this route, look at the pfsense devices, the Alix APU's and a self build (just make *SURE* it's got hardware AES for future compatibility), if you want a cheap off the shelf option then the Mikrotik RB750GR3 may suit, but the learning curve is similar to pfsense. A VM is another option, but if you do this pass the network hardware direct to the VM, some people have suffered performance issues (!) when using virtualised interfaces and it's generally not considered best practice in a commercial environment.

Last edited:
Associate
Port forward under the NAT menu on pfSense and create a rule to forward 32400 to your Plex server’s IP. Or don’t make it accessible and then use your pfSense VPN server to connect into your home network when out and about and the Plex server will then effectively be ‘local’ to you.

Before going down this route, look at the pfsense devices, the Alix APU's and a self build (just make *SURE* it's got hardware AES for future compatibility), if you want a cheap off the shelf option then the Mikrotik RB750GR3 may suit, but the learning curve is similar to pfsense. A VM is another option, but if you do this pass the network hardware direct to the VM, some people have suffered performance issues (!) when using virtualised interfaces and it's generally not considered best practice in a commercial environment.

Cheers, ill bare that all in mind

Associate
Hi, I need help with finding a vpn plugin I used to use but my Mac broke recently and I lost everything and forgot the name of it. It was either on chrome or Firefox and was a browser plugin that would automatically activate when a website featuring content from another country was opened. I remember country’s flag would then appear in top right corner of the browser and video on the website would start to work straightaway without having to click on anything else. Plugin was free and I never had any problems with it. Sorry, haven’t got any more details about it, I’m hoping something rings a bell and someone knows what I’m talking about. Tia.

Back
Top Bottom