Audeze Mobius - Closed Planar magnetic headphone, gaming headset, head tracking, bluetooth and more!

Associate
With this technology, if they could get wireless 5.1/7.1 connection to an atmos AV/amp it would be killer. Sadly it seems this version only supports 2.1 over bluetooth.

Soldato
OP
I'm not surprised to be honest, there won't be a gaming headset that can come anywhere near them and they will also be a more affordable way for people to experience the Audeze planar magnetic sound for music, so two very big birds with one not so very big stone. It's certainly raising the bar by an order of magnitude for gaming headsets and I wonder what such a shake up will result in with the other big players.

Soldato
Right had these for a couple of weeks now but there is one major drawback with these considering they are a 'gamers' headset.

You cant do VOIP whilst gaming via the bluetooth (wirelessly). To do this you have to be woried via USB which I think is a major flaw in a'gamers' headset.

You can though, play a game and have your phone be answered by the headset and take a telephone call whilst gaming. Spent ages faffing with settings etc and read on other forums that this headset just doesnt have the functionality over bluetooth to make this a 'wireless' gamers headset. Great if you play single players game (Dont need the mic) or have no mates. Also playing PUBG I get static pops and clicks regularly (BF4 & DOOM are fine) which is when wired USB (Need to talk to mates).

DOnt get me wrong, the sound quality is very very good and the 3D soundstage actually works very well. You can adjust the soundstage and even enter your exact head measurements.

But as a 'gaming' headset I think this misses the mark as it doesnt have full functionality whilst 'wireless'. Plus you need to buy a Bluetooth dongle if your mobo doesnt have it built in, not expensive so should be included really.

Mic can be very sensitive and difficult to get in the right place. A mic sock is a must on these otherwise you have to be very careful not to move the mic when stowing and mounting on your head. These will take the biggest of 'swedes' as I have a girt head and still had to reduce the size from max a few clicks.

Excellent sound quality but misses a main functionality in not being able to do VOIP whilst wireless. Waiting for Audeze to come back to me to hopefully tell me I'm a n00b and it does work and it's me. But checking other forums others are having the same problem as its a shortfall in Bluetooth functionality. I'll update if Audeze give me a work around or a firmware update.

Associate
Right had these for a couple of weeks now but there is one major drawback with these considering they are a 'gamers' headset.

You cant do VOIP whilst gaming via the bluetooth (wirelessly). To do this you have to be woried via USB which I think is a major flaw in a'gamers' headset.

You can though, play a game and have your phone be answered by the headset and take a telephone call whilst gaming. Spent ages faffing with settings etc and read on other forums that this headset just doesnt have the functionality over bluetooth to make this a 'wireless' gamers headset. Great if you play single players game (Dont need the mic) or have no mates. Also playing PUBG I get static pops and clicks regularly (BF4 & DOOM are fine) which is when wired USB (Need to talk to mates).

DOnt get me wrong, the sound quality is very very good and the 3D soundstage actually works very well. You can adjust the soundstage and even enter your exact head measurements.

But as a 'gaming' headset I think this misses the mark as it doesnt have full functionality whilst 'wireless'. Plus you need to buy a Bluetooth dongle if your mobo doesnt have it built in, not expensive so should be included really.

Mic can be very sensitive and difficult to get in the right place. A mic sock is a must on these otherwise you have to be very careful not to move the mic when stowing and mounting on your head. These will take the biggest of 'swedes' as I have a girt head and still had to reduce the size from max a few clicks.

Excellent sound quality but misses a main functionality in not being able to do VOIP whilst wireless. Waiting for Audeze to come back to me to hopefully tell me I'm a n00b and it does work and it's me. But checking other forums others are having the same problem as its a shortfall in Bluetooth functionality. I'll update if Audeze give me a work around or a firmware update.

Also bluetooth mode only supports stereo which is a huge miss imo. To get 5.1 or 7.1 this is only supported via wired USB.

Source
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009150731-How-3D-surround-audio-works-in-Mobius

Soldato
Also bluetooth mode only supports stereo which is a huge miss imo. To get 5.1 or 7.1 this is only supported via wired USB.

Source
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009150731-How-3D-surround-audio-works-in-Mobius

Shouldnt have to dig that far through the technical gumpf to find out what works and what doesnt. So wireless only any good for listening to music. I think they miss the mark as a 'gamers' headset. The USB cables they supply are laughable in length [email protected]. If you wanted to go to motherboard USB instead of the extension USB's of the case you've basically got 1m.

Soldato
Reviving old thread, but, I am thinking of buying some new headphones and am a bit out of touch but these look very interesting. I currently have a pair of Hyper X cloud but want to go for something better, that's nice to listen to, but still offer great gaming audio. Not too worried about the wireless part of these at all as they will be used on my PC.

Soldato
OP
I watched it yesterday, seems Audeze got the sound quality right but made it too complicated and quirky to operate easily - having each mode be a separate device seems a bit nuts to me.

Associate
Now I'm no expert but if you check out zreviews on the tube he goes to town on theses. I was considering selling some of my headgear to fund some of these but after what I've seen and read on here from somebody who as actually used these I think I will pass
Oops missed the video above....feel a right melon....just ignore me and I will crawl back under my rock...:(

Last edited:
Soldato
Reviving old thread, but, I am thinking of buying some new headphones and am a bit out of touch but these look very interesting. I currently have a pair of Hyper X cloud but want to go for something better, that's nice to listen to, but still offer great gaming audio. Not too worried about the wireless part of these at all as they will be used on my PC.

If you're not too bothered about them being wireless then they are very very good. I'm no audiophile but I've realised I've never listened to a decent set of headphones. The 3D sound isn't as gimmicky as it sounds either. The soundstage created really does give depth of field as well as directional. Even for music - the soundstage sounds much better with 3D on.. The soundstage is adjustable also (mine left on default). But I cant use these without the 3D on as the direction and distance in the sound is second to none.

The head tracking currently is more useful for VR but I have spoken to a very helpful Audeze representative (as I complained about the limitations of bluetooth) and he said they are bringing out a firmware update where the head tracking can be bound to keys. So for leaning for example - tilt your head, which I thought would be useful.

These were Audeze's first foray into the gaming market offering planar magnetic quality in a headset. But, the wireless capabilities of these were not that clear. Using 3.5mm aux jack or Bluetooth you can only have stereo sound. To get 5.1 or greater (7.1 they have to be USB connected. Plus you cant VOIP over bluetooth either, so you can hear the game wirelessly (in stereo only), 3D and head tracking still work though not in 7.1. You can whilst gaming take a phone call if paired to your phone. So single player games whilst still being able to hear your phone could be a plus. The bluetooth connectivity basically serves as a medium for audiophiles to get very high definition signals such as LDAC over bluetooth.

So these are half an audiophiles headset due to the quality and part gamer with the 7.1, 3d and soundstage options with updates to expand the head tracking usage as mentioned above. Which leaves tem in an odd place as an audiophile would probably go for a dedicated headset and high quality amp+ DAC.

In the software you can set the exact measurements of your 'bonce' to ensure that the soundstage is accurately processed for your head size. I have a fair old sized swede and I'm still a couple of notches out from max adjustment. They are very comfortable and my QPAD QH90's have been the most comfortable.

The mic - this is a very sensitive Mic and its a bit fiddly. I've put a mic sock on mine which makes it much better. May mates say it's like I'm in their head when I talk and I sound like I'm where they are. But they are very sensitive to breathing. A change to the soundgate settings in the mic would be beneficial to change the sensitivity and maybe included in a firmware update if possible.

You can adjust how much you hear of yourself through the earcups. Can adjust this setting linearly.

Settings, at the moment each time you switch these on you lose your settings such as EQ, volume etc but via a firmware update they said they will amend this to remember last settings.

Initially I was a bit disappointed with the limitations of the 'wireless' part of this headset. But after a month or two of owning them I wouldn't swap them. I listen to more music than I did before as the separation I've not had the pleasure of using audiophile grade/technology before. So much so I have been seeking out high grade audio to listen to. I cant not use the 3D sound as it's that good. They are plenty loud enough with their own in built DAC & AMP/S. Louder than my QPAD QH90's (almost same as your cloud 2's) coupled with a creative SB ZX.

I sent an email to Audeze about my initial issue with getting in game/teamspeak/discord VIOP working over bluetooth (which it doesn't) and thought they'd mis sold it a bit. They actually asked to call me back and I had a good long chat with an Audeze rep and he did say that the marketing team could have made it clearer about the fact that the wireless functionality is limited.

If these did have a wireless version where you could get 7.1 and VOIP with the sound quality these cans offer - I dont think Audeze could make enough of them. They'd have the high end gamers market cornered.

If you like your music wireless and don't mind being wired to your PC for 7.1 for games and VOIP then these fit the bill. Bluetooth adapter required if your MOBO doesn't have bluetooth connection, would have been nice to include one in the box.

Soldato
If you're not too bothered about them being wireless then they are very very good. I'm no audiophile but I've realised I've never listened to a decent set of headphones. The 3D sound isn't as gimmicky as it sounds either. The soundstage created really does give depth of field as well as directional. Even for music - the soundstage sounds much better with 3D on.. The soundstage is adjustable also (mine left on default). But I cant use these without the 3D on as the direction and distance in the sound is second to none.

The head tracking currently is more useful for VR but I have spoken to a very helpful Audeze representative (as I complained about the limitations of bluetooth) and he said they are bringing out a firmware update where the head tracking can be bound to keys. So for leaning for example - tilt your head, which I thought would be useful.

These were Audeze's first foray into the gaming market offering planar magnetic quality in a headset. But, the wireless capabilities of these were not that clear. Using 3.5mm aux jack or Bluetooth you can only have stereo sound. To get 5.1 or greater (7.1 they have to be USB connected. Plus you cant VOIP over bluetooth either, so you can hear the game wirelessly (in stereo only), 3D and head tracking still work though not in 7.1. You can whilst gaming take a phone call if paired to your phone. So single player games whilst still being able to hear your phone could be a plus. The bluetooth connectivity basically serves as a medium for audiophiles to get very high definition signals such as LDAC over bluetooth.

So these are half an audiophiles headset due to the quality and part gamer with the 7.1, 3d and soundstage options with updates to expand the head tracking usage as mentioned above. Which leaves tem in an odd place as an audiophile would probably go for a dedicated headset and high quality amp+ DAC.

In the software you can set the exact measurements of your 'bonce' to ensure that the soundstage is accurately processed for your head size. I have a fair old sized swede and I'm still a couple of notches out from max adjustment. They are very comfortable and my QPAD QH90's have been the most comfortable.

The mic - this is a very sensitive Mic and its a bit fiddly. I've put a mic sock on mine which makes it much better. May mates say it's like I'm in their head when I talk and I sound like I'm where they are. But they are very sensitive to breathing. A change to the soundgate settings in the mic would be beneficial to change the sensitivity and maybe included in a firmware update if possible.

You can adjust how much you hear of yourself through the earcups. Can adjust this setting linearly.

Settings, at the moment each time you switch these on you lose your settings such as EQ, volume etc but via a firmware update they said they will amend this to remember last settings.

Initially I was a bit disappointed with the limitations of the 'wireless' part of this headset. But after a month or two of owning them I wouldn't swap them. I listen to more music than I did before as the separation I've not had the pleasure of using audiophile grade/technology before. So much so I have been seeking out high grade audio to listen to. I cant not use the 3D sound as it's that good. They are plenty loud enough with their own in built DAC & AMP/S. Louder than my QPAD QH90's (almost same as your cloud 2's) coupled with a creative SB ZX.

I sent an email to Audeze about my initial issue with getting in game/teamspeak/discord VIOP working over bluetooth (which it doesn't) and thought they'd mis sold it a bit. They actually asked to call me back and I had a good long chat with an Audeze rep and he did say that the marketing team could have made it clearer about the fact that the wireless functionality is limited.

If these did have a wireless version where you could get 7.1 and VOIP with the sound quality these cans offer - I dont think Audeze could make enough of them. They'd have the high end gamers market cornered.

If you like your music wireless and don't mind being wired to your PC for 7.1 for games and VOIP then these fit the bill. Bluetooth adapter required if your MOBO doesn't have bluetooth connection, would have been nice to include one in the box.

Wow, thank you for your very detailed response, it's much appreciated. I wasn't really expecting a reply from you after you posted earlier in this thread about how disappointed you were. Honestly thought you were going to return them.

After reading a few reviews of them I was going to look at other options, but, after reading your reply to me I am now considering purchasing them again. To go from disappointed to saying you wouldn't swap them is a really big swing and they would have to be really good to promote that kind of change. Sometimes you need a few weeks with a pair of headphones to truly appreciate them.

Did you read the HardOcp review? Would you mind reading it and telling me your thoughts please?

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/26/audeze_mobius_gaming_headset_review/

Not concerned with all the fighting rubbish, just want to see do you agree/disagree with his impressions of the headset.

Interesting what you say about the head tracking working better in VR, I have an Oculus Rift, so it would be a feature I would definitely use. Can I ask do you have an xbox one? And if so, did you try them out on it? I would hope to use these on my PC and my Xbox for music, movies and games.

Just want to be clear, To get 5.1/7.1 I have to connect them by USB to the PC or Xbox?
I won't get 5.1 or 7.1 in games/movies or music with wireless?

I wouldn't be using the mic that much at all, if ever. The games that I currently talk to other people are all in VR, so I would use the Rift's mic for that. I would probably end up detaching the mic from the Mobius altogether if I bought one.

Soldato
Hi,

I agree mostly with what Hard OCP say but there are a couple of things that are wrong. I had exactly the same issue as they did with my voice going in and out (fading) but I had to change my Teamspeak settings to what they suggest on the Audeze mobius website. They work flawlessly then.

http://www.audeze.com/about-audeze/...ure-your-mobius-microphone-use-voip-utilities

And for the mobious BLOG http://www.audeze.com/blog

The odd sounds in games, any games where dolby Atmos is already processed in game you should turn off. Many games have their own settings for processing and you need to find what works best. The Mobius have everything built in so any pre processing in game or via installed soundcard may affect the processing of the Mobius. I suffered drop outs (only for fractions of a second) but it wasnt until I took my soundcard out of my machine did that stop so other sound controlling programms or hardware may need to be fettled with to get it perfect.

I agree with HardOCP that the marketing is slightly off and that's what peeved me so much at the start as I didnt conceive that surely they wouldnt make a headset that wouldnt do 7.1 etc and to not have VOIP in games (but you can take a telephone call mid game!) was a bit odd, I spent a few hours messing with settings sure that this capability was failing due to me setting it up. Hence I felt the need to email Audeze. So thats why they sit in an odd place. Neither a gamers dream (unless you want wired) nor an audiophiles unless you want to connect to your phone for calls. As a bluetooth headset for music it is really good.

As audiophiles they should have doen just a bit more research in the gaming world and ensured they were fully wireless with 7.1 and VOIP but I can see why they may have thought the allowance for bluetooth connectivity allows the bandwidth for higher quality formats.

Their first foray into gaming was a big risk for them hence why they funded the outlay via a kickstarter to gauge interest. My concern is that many reviews are quite searing and does nothing to encourage them to refine and stay in the gamers market. As we all know, 'gaming' headsets are expensive for what they are and people who are serious spend a fair bit on audiophle grade headphones (usually wired) a good seperate mic and a decent DAC/Amplifier setup or soundcard for processing. These I hoped would fill that gap. They do apart from the bluetooth connectivity but Audeze saythey did this for high definition files where bluetooth offers upto 990kb/s via LDAC. As audiophiles they should have doen just a bit more research in the gaming world and ensured they were fully wireless with 7.1 and VOIP. They thanked me for my feedback and whilst that HArdOCP lot had issues with communications I can only say good things about how they contacted me and wanted to call me. I spoke to a really helpful and informative guy.

I dont think the marketing department did their homework on us fussy gamers and enthusiasts and missed a tricvk to possibly make a headset that really would be worth the £350, but that wireless thing annoyed me, still does and it has professional reviewers. I'd like to think a V2 or true gamers version may come out. I see they have the creators edition version already and I was told that my feedback would be passed on.

Can i recommend them? As I'm no audiophile and I have nothing to compare them to except gaming headsets then I dont feel certified to make the call on how good they are. But they are miles better than anything else I've put on my head and has made me question how much I have missed out on audio quality. I have actively played favourtite tracks only to hear them in a more complete way. The seperation etc of instruments etc or electronic music and has had me saying to myself that this is what the studio sound engineers must hear and more how they wanted me to hear it. Progressive house tracks by Sebastian Weikum or Deadmou5 sound truely sublime and I tyhink these are suited more to electronic music than say acoustic or voice. Never have I heard the bass so clearly and with depth but also still hear other sounds very clearly no matter how subtle.

To get anything other than stereo you are correct - you need to be wored by USB. 3.5mm aux will still only be stereo. 3D and headtracking still works, just not the 5.1 & 7.1. Same for games & movies. Wireless doesnt do 5.1/7.1 or VOIP in game like teamspeak.

I dont have a console to test the connection I'm afraid.

If you dont use the mic you can unplug it. Other independant audiophile amateur reviews do say that the Mobious for teh money could well be the best quality blutooth headset available as they are the first pLanar magnetic ones. JUst for us gamers Audeze missed a trick by not making them fully wireless. Otherwise they'd not make enough of them.

If you just happen to live near Exeter or pass this way I'd be happy for you to try them. I'd find a hifi store that stocks them and ask to try them.

They would benefit from a longer USB lead by say 50cm to 1m and a cable that is bendier than the one supplied, a braided version would be better. They are a bit fussy in getting them perfect regards the mic, settings and switching off other stuff that interferes with them. And some games sound odd until you fiddle with the games settings and let the mobius do the work. PUBG sounds awesome with very accurate directional cues with a depth or distance element I've not heard on other headsets.

I was gonna return them, but after using them more and more I cant go back to my old headset for games or music. You dont really need the headtracking unless you are VR or until the key binding options come in a firmware /software update, but doesnt make a difference if you are staring more or less fixed at the screen. I was goona get the HyperX cloud 2 wireless if I'd sent them back.

Just listened to this track through my old QPAD QH90's and Soundblaster ZX and night and day difference on the Mobius. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtlfPRapXBk

Soldato
Thanks for your thoughts on the HardOCP review. Just wanted to compare the review with an owners impressions.

Unfortunately I am not living near Exeter(not even in the same country :p) or I would take you up on the offer to try them out. There is no place near me that stocks them, so I won't get the chance to try them out before I buy, if I decide to buy that is.

I would be using them wired all the time I think. And I would rarely if ever use the mic. Maybe I am spending more than I should for features I don't want or use, but the 3D gaming options combined with Planar technology really intrigues me.

As for audio quality, I am not an Audiophile myself, but, I am sure they will be a good step up from my current Hyperx Cloud headphones.

How long is the USB cable that comes with the headset? Do you have a recommendation for an extension or longer cable?

Yes, in most cases I would turn off the in game HRTF function and leave the Mobius to do it's thing. As a side note, I do like the way Audeze are releasing firmware updates all the time to improve the headset. And from reading the forums, a firmware update released in the last few days to people who ask for it is supposed to offer a big improvement.

Never heard of Sebastian Weikum before, and just listened to that YouTube video you linked to. I like it a lot, great song. Will definitely be listening to more of his stuff.

Back
Top Bottom