Made it into the 2019 British Photography Awards shortlist!

Soldato
Great photo, voted. Nice to see something different in the Wedding category, it really stands out.

I enjoyed looking through the other categories too, the family eating ice lollies in the street section is fantastic. I thought it was one of Martin Parr's for a second.

Soldato
Just voted. Good luck. :)

The top four photographers from each category are invited to attend The British Photography Awards at London's Savoy Hotel on the 28th of January 2019. This will include drinks reception, dinner and entertainment – as well as some goodies from our sponsors. One photographer will win each Category Prize, the other three photographers will be runners up.

As your photo is so unique I reckon you'll get invited to the Savoy, even if only as a runner up, that would still be excellent. I wonder how much in cash prizes they give away. But looking at all 20 wedding photos, I just cannot see anyone but you winning. All but yours are pretty much standard wedding fodder focusing on the couple. They're all very well done but there's no x factor about them. Whereas with your photo, it's the only one thinking outside the box; it's not about the couple, but about a boy who wants to get the hell out and play. That's what makes the photo interesting, it makes the viewer think.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks! Seasick Steve lyric in sig? :D

It would be amazing to win. I can't remember the last time I won something :o And it would certainly give me a high point to start 2019 off with!

Based on what I read, over 3100 people entered their photos into the contest. At £10 per entry, that's £31k. Nobody from the organisation can profit from this either, and 50% goes to charities, and once a portion is used for purchasing cards and materials for the event, the remaining amount is split between the category winners. With that in mind I imagine each winner gets a couple of hundred £ each as well as the other prizes.

Edit*

There were two other shots from other weddings I was considering submitting but felt the bored boy's one was my favourite:

_26A5164.jpg

_26A0040.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I never knew my sig is a Seasick Steve lyric, I just pinched it from something I saw on another forum. :D
Those two photos are good but don't say anything, whereas the bored boy conveys exactly what he's thinking about being there, so your choice was the right one.

Soldato
Love a bit of Seasick Steve. Didn't he used to play with a guitar that he found, possibly when he was homeless, which only had two or three strings?

Proper blues.

Edit: here it is.

Back
Top Bottom