144hz... Why did I not upgrade sooner?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well at least that explains your post. All I can think of is the 60hz monitor is running at 30hz or less in settings. If not the case, try reinstalling the drivers with ddu. If no good do a clean install of windows (that nearly always fixes my issues) :p

Soldato
So since having my main screen as 144hz, my second one running at 60hz is really jerky when scrolling through webpages. Anyone else get this?

I had similar problems, videos would look like they were stuttering as well on the 60hz while fullscreen/windowed gaming on the 144hz

Solution was to drop down to 120hz as apparently win 10/nvidia drivers have issues with 144hz not being divisible by 60 when running a dual monitor setup which results in the secondary monitor having refresh rate problems

Associate
I had similar problems, videos would look like they were stuttering as well on the 60hz while fullscreen/windowed gaming on the 144hz

Solution was to drop down to 120hz as apparently win 10/nvidia drivers have issues with 144hz not being divisible by 60 when running a dual monitor setup which results in the secondary monitor having refresh rate problems

Do you use Chrome? Disable the hardware acceleration and the stuttering problem should go away :)

144hz is like getting an SSD, huge improvement.

Soldato
Do you use Chrome? Disable the hardware acceleration and the stuttering problem should go away :)

144hz is like getting an SSD, huge improvement.

Nope on Firefox, hardware acceleration disabled, only thing that fixes it is having primary monitor at a refresh rate the secondary can multiply into, I'm not really too fussed as 120hz is fine visually I noticed zero difference in running the monitor at 144hz or 120hz apart from the stuttering on secondary 60hz monitor :)

Soldato

That's exactly what happened when I put a footy game full screen on my second monitor, ran ok when not maximised but as soon as I switched it, it became unwatchable. I can't believe this is actually a thing. I don't want to drop the hz on my primary.

Soldato
I ended up going for a Acer Predator XB1, which is pretty similar spec to the Asus Rog Swift.

I just have a quick question as I am getting confused about what lead I need. I need a 3m lead to connect to my PC and almost dropped a bollock and ordered a HDMI lead, which I now believe wouldn't work with Gsync? My question is will a 3m Displayport lead work ok for 1440p and 144hz? I keep reading conflicting info that 2m is the longest you can go without boosting the signal?

Anyone that has a 3m lead that can reccomend a brand to go for? Would a Lindy 1.2 blackline cable @ £9.99 suffice? Its not a fancy gold plated one, but seems to be a decent brand compared to all the really cheap ones.

Soldato
OP
I ended up going for a Acer Predator XB1, which is pretty similar spec to the Asus Rog Swift.

I just have a quick question as I am getting confused about what lead I need. I need a 3m lead to connect to my PC and almost dropped a bollock and ordered a HDMI lead, which I now believe wouldn't work with Gsync? My question is will a 3m Displayport lead work ok for 1440p and 144hz? I keep reading conflicting info that 2m is the longest you can go without boosting the signal?

Anyone that has a 3m lead that can reccomend a brand to go for? Would a Lindy 1.2 blackline cable @ £9.99 suffice? Its not a fancy gold plated one, but seems to be a decent brand compared to all the really cheap ones.

I think a 3m will be fine. It's data signal, I don't get why a 10m would suffer?

Soldato
I think a 3m will be fine. It's data signal, I don't get why a 10m would suffer?
I have just read it a few times now that people haven't been able to get the full 144hz refresh rate with 3m cables and some of the comments mentioned it might be because its a long cable.

Soldato
OP
I have just read it a few times now that people haven't been able to get the full 144hz refresh rate with 3m cables and some of the comments mentioned it might be because its a long cable.

I'm no cable expert, but it's a data signal, not analogue. It'll either work or it won't. Again, I don't know much about cables. For 10 quid, you may as well give it a whirl. Worst case, you have a backup cable should you ever need one.

Soldato
Cheers, yeah I think i'll just grab one and see. Also think i'll need a 3m usb A-B cable as well, so I can use the usb sockets on the monitor for my KB and mouse. Hopefully thats also fine with such a long stretch.

Caporegime
what about for those of us who dont play FPS tho ;)

This 100+ FPS craze so far seems to be tied to FPS gamers.

For me TN is unacceptable as a screen. Granted you can get 144hz IPS now, but those monitors tend to be gsync and have stupid limitations like only displayport as output. I need vga, dvi, and hdmi all supported on one display, alongside IPS as a basic requirement.

high FPS makes a freaking web browser smoother and more comfortable to read. FPS is entirely irrelevant. A faster, more reactive screen has less motion blur, less overdrive artefacts, and feels smoother and better in general completely regardless of the actual frame rate. Simply refreshing more often reduces the persistence of an image which changes how your eyes perceive. Longer time the frame is 'on' the more it burns in to your retina, in the same way staring at a lightbulb for a bit then moving away you still see it.

The idea that high refresh rate monitors is only useful for high frame rates is incredibly inaccurate.

Associate
I bought a good ultrawide a couple of years back. While it's fantastic for most games my GTX1080 struggles a bit pushing faster paced FPS at a steady frame rate.

I might invest in a cheap(ish) 144Hz and see if I can tell the difference or if I'm just blaming the tech for my lack of skill.

Soldato
My findings so far are that Pubg feels smoother and looks a lot sharper in 1440p compared to 1080p. Only problem is I now get 80fps instead of 120. Tried a few other games like the Evil Within 2 and have to say it doesn't feel as immersive on a 27" screen compared to my 42" tv. Maybe I'll just have to get used to the smaller screen.

Got a bit of ips glow in the bottom right corner, but it doesn't seem too bad. Only really noticeable on really dark screens.

Back
Top Bottom