Assetto Corsa OcUK TT Challenge! *Season 3*

Soldato
OP
I'd say to go brand new with Thrustmaster. Good wheels, but you want a warranty as reliabilty can be hit and miss.
For around £200 brand new, a Logitech G29 or G920 with a shifter isn't a bad shout. A used G27 is also worth looking out for. They're relatively bomb proof.

If you want to use realistic wheel rims and would rather have beefier/smoother FFB, stick with Fanatec or TM, though it'll cost you.

V F

V F

Soldato
@V F
What cars do I have to select to get you to do some laps? :p

I need to complete my DIY rig soon. Haven't touched Assetto in a long time. Then seeing your VR stuff, the gameplay without VR looks so rigid. I should invest in one of those for the future. It really changes the game for open wheelers.

Going all out in this would be awesome. Imagine the fun. :D :D

Nice, yea that kind of thing. I saw a used T500 with the Ferrari F1 wheel (no pedals though) go for a shade over £180 at the weekend. I was sorely tempted but held back because I don't know enough about them or the alternatives yet. I'm in no hurry.

Mmmm!

I'd say to go brand new with Thrustmaster. Good wheels, but you want a warranty as reliabilty can be hit and miss.
For around £200 brand new, a Logitech G29 or G920 with a shifter isn't a bad shout. A used G27 is also worth looking out for. They're relatively bomb proof.

If you want to use realistic wheel rims and would rather have beefier/smoother FFB, stick with Fanatec or TM, though it'll cost you.

The T300 Alacantara wheel is so lush with its force feedback. Though decent pedals is also a game changer with its force feedback and the brake pressure adjusters.

Soldato
@V F

Wow. The F1 wheel I saw wasn't that fancy (most of the switches were non functioning) but it still looked very decent and I have a soft spot for F1 wheels (who doesn't, right?).

VR is without a doubt something I can see myself getting at some point but I'll need a graphics card update before I do.

In the meantime, if I can upgrade my wheel to something a bit wider (this is tiny) with more rotation and higher fidelity then I'll be as happy as a sandboy. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@Yadda
Have a google for a T300 RS GT if you can do £300. Can't link here.

I need to complete my DIY rig soon. Haven't touched Assetto in a long time. Then seeing your VR stuff, the gameplay without VR looks so rigid. I should invest in one of those for the future. It really changes the game for open wheelers.

Going all out in this would be awesome. Imagine the fun. :D :D

You've been talking about your DIY rig for bloody ages. Get it done ffs! :D

The Ferrari 643 in that vid is actually my favourite formula car. It's as awesome in VR as you imagine, if not better.
Hows that for motivation?

And yeah, pedals are possibly even more important than the wheel.
Still rocking my trusty old clubsports from back in t'day.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Uncle Petey
Cheers mate, I'll have a think about it.

Anyway, I hate too much gear talk, back to the driving! :)

Edit:
That sounded harsher than intended. Please don't stop on my behalf, I enjoy reading it - how else would I learn anything? :)

Last edited:
Associate
I have my original DFGT sitting around doing nothing, might put it on MM and see what I can get for it if anyone is interested? I reckon £50 ish?
I'm hanging on to my old G27, it's a trusty old dog with many happy miles on it.
I have a G29 for when I find somewhere to set up the PS4 without having to move it around too much.
My current wheel is a T500 with the shifter and pro pedals, makes the logitech stuff feel flimsy in comparison, but if I switch between them no difference in lap times. Highly recommend a used T500 if you can find one.

Call it an evolutionary tale...

Soldato
Got round to changing the pot on my pedals because I wanted to check out why my brake wasn’t returning properly. It turns out the foam has imploded so I’ve had to order new ones.

Hopefully they’ll be good once I’ve got them next week, trying to think of if I have anything that I can use in the mean time to make them better.

g9piOGn.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I have my original DFGT sitting around doing nothing, might put it on MM and see what I can get for it if anyone is interested? I reckon £50 ish?
I'm hanging on to my old G27, it's a trusty old dog with many happy miles on it.
I have a G29 for when I find somewhere to set up the PS4 without having to move it around too much.
My current wheel is a T500 with the shifter and pro pedals, makes the logitech stuff feel flimsy in comparison, but if I switch between them no difference in lap times. Highly recommend a used T500 if you can find one.

Call it an evolutionary tale...

That's quite a collection of wheels! The DFGT is by all accounts a good wheel but not what I'm looking for, thanks all the same for the offer!

I just fired AC up and noticed a setup I saved last night - "try this one sober". Blimey. :(

Associate
I couldn't bring myself to part with them, I used the DFGT for 3 months then G27 went on half price (this was around 2011/12)...T500, shifter and pro pedals setup I got second hand off gumtree including a GT Omega Pro rig for £350 virtually brand new, I couldn't say no it was a bargain, I'd just had the Golf R at the time also a bargain on a cheapo lease deal (June 2015) so a round trip from Wolves to Sheffield to collect it seemed like fun too :). I call it Serendipity !

The missus will just roll her eyes even more when the FeelVR wheel turns up lol

Soldato
The missus will just roll her eyes even more when the FeelVR wheel turns up lol
This can’t happen soon enough, pedals are in bits currently.

Didn’t like the new potentiometer, it’s sent everything crazy. Tried to use the clutch pot on the throttle and now wires need resoldering. Joy, weekend job I guess. Also my load cell may have gone too.

Associate
This can’t happen soon enough, pedals are in bits currently.

Didn’t like the new potentiometer, it’s sent everything crazy. Tried to use the clutch pot on the throttle and now wires need resoldering. Joy, weekend job I guess. Also my load cell may have gone too.

Erm, I wouldn't hold your breath mate, I reckon we'll be lucky to see it before next summer at the current rate of progress....

Soldato
Sounds like you're having a 'mare there, @NeverWinter. :( Can you get anything vaguely analog set up so you can at least play?

What are people's opinion of Fanatec CSR and Porche GT3 wheels (I think they're the same internals) and the basic - i.e. not elite - pedals? I've seen a few crop up second hand but don't know anyone who uses one.

Anyway, after much over-driving and a heap of scrapped Lotus 49's, I managed to calm down enough for a PB on the server: a 1:31.5. (Whoever it was on the server - Petey? - thanks for the chat. :))

Forgive the TV cam but I love a bit of sidey-ways.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Good work mate :) Yeah, it was me spying via the live map.

I had a CSR. It was pretty good, if a touch on the slowish side + mine was a little rickety anyway.
If you find a good deal on one with the alcantara in good nick, the GT3 is the one I'd pick.
Saying that, they are getting a bit old and the rims are a bit small for my tastes.
Depends on the price.

Soldato
Good work mate :) Yeah, it was me spying via the live map.

I had a CSR. It was pretty good, if a touch on the slowish side + mine was a little rickety anyway.
If you find a good deal on one with the alcantara in good nick, the GT3 is the one I'd pick.
Saying that, they are getting a bit old and the rims are a bit small for my tastes.
Depends on the price.

Cheers. :) I thought it was you. Didn't half give me a fright when words appeared as I was entering T1. :D

Yea, the age is what puts me off to be honest, and if the rims are a bit on the small side then that's definitely a no-go for me - it's one of the main reasons I want to upgrade from this Momo. The pedals do look good though, can Fanatec pedals be used with T300 and G29 wheels?

Back
Top Bottom