So, anyone got an iRobot Roomba or other robot vacuum cleaner?

Associate
I see this is on the Deal of the Day at Amazon - Quite tempted to get one to be honest! I've just moved into a new place, which is just one floor with five rooms in total. 3 rooms have laminate flooring, 1 room is tiled and another is lino - Dust everywhere :p

I have a TV cabinet that is mounted on the wall and is about 10cm above the floor (set just above the wall trims). Would it go under it and clean? Also could I have it charge under there?

the hoover and the charge station are around 9cm tall (just measured) so I would have thought it possible. Ours roughly covers the 1000 sq.ft downstairs of our place in a charge before heading back to the utility room to charge

Caporegime
OP
Wow, iRobot have finally released something that raises the robot vacuum game... the iRoomba 7+! https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/06/irobot-roomba-i7+-self-cleaning/

Official page here https://store.irobot.com/default/roomba-vacuuming-robot-vacuum-irobot-roomba-i7-plus/i755020.html
  • Automatic dustbin emptying (holds 30 cleans worth)
  • Remembers your layout persistently
  • Can choose which rooms to clean on which days
Seems like this is real progress in terms of intelligence and convenience. The only annoying thing is that the base station would not be able to be hid under my Ikea furniture like my current one does... it would be too visible in any area I could put it such as my dining room. Still, very cool, and I am hoping other people (like Xiaomi) copy it reasonably quickly. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Impressive, it's been needed for a long time. Like you it wouldn't fit where we currently have ours, i don't think it needs hiding as such though. It doesnt look too hideous and i'd be ok with it being on show.

One thing that annoys me about our Roomba is that there's nowhere to hide the power cables in the docking station. We have ours near a plug and it looked a real mess until i got a bit creative. Hopefully this is fixed on this model. I briefly had a Neatmo and that had cable storage which made it a look nicer.

Main issues are the price tag and that you have to use specific bags for the main unit.

Caporegime
OP
Impressive, it's been needed for a long time. Like you it wouldn't fit where we currently have ours, i don't think it needs hiding as such though. It doesnt look too hideous and i'd be ok with it being on show.

Meh I am a minimalist... I like such things to be effectively invisible so that no guest sees it and automatically starts thinking about cleaning.

Main issues are the price tag and that you have to use specific bags for the main unit.
Yeah, well I guess it makes sense that there are specific bags to the design, and iRobot will want to make some money back on those too. However, they can be copied and only using one every 30 days or so isn't too bad. :)

Associate
From those that have one, would it be able to live/be housed under a kitchen or utility room base unit if there was no plinth?

Tks

Caporegime
OP
Thought I would buy and try the Xiaomi Mi vacuum cleaner.

It will not work on black carpet :(
Time to get out my 3d Printer and do some sensor covers and try again.
Anything with a cliff sensor won't work on a primarily black carpet. Use some electrical tape.

Associate
My Neato Botvac connected seems to be dead :(
The Neato online chat even told me that no one services that model anymore either. That sucks..

Tried simple stuff, new fuse, battery and all the reset stuff i found out about. Anyone have one and had similar?

Associate
Thinking of getting the Xiaomi S50. Anybody got one and recommend? May as well wait until black Friday now and see if any deals appear.

I have the S51 (rose gold version) and it’s awesome, have been using it daily since February. It’s never gone wrong, doesn’t get lost and very rarely gets stuck. My wife wasn’t too sure at first, but she loves it now, I don’t think we could be without it.
If it broke tomorrow then I’d buy another with no hesitation.

Associate
I have the S51 (rose gold version) and it’s awesome, have been using it daily since February. It’s never gone wrong, doesn’t get lost and very rarely gets stuck. My wife wasn’t too sure at first, but she loves it now, I don’t think we could be without it.
If it broke tomorrow then I’d buy another with no hesitation.

Great to know, thanks. Did you get it from one of the import sites? Any problems with setting it up?

Associate
Great to know, thanks. Did you get it from one of the import sites? Any problems with setting it up?

I bought it from AliExpress, took about 10 days to arrive and I didn’t have to pay any import charges.
Nope, no problems setting it up, the mi home app is really good and takes you through the whole process very quickly and easily.
It doesn’t support 5ghz networks, but that’s it.

Back
Top Bottom