Does mixing single rank and dual rank matter?

Soldato
a brief read online it suggests there not too much of a difference apart from single rank can be accessed faster, but does it really matter especially if it’s same model?

Basically my ballistic 2400 memory are both single channel 4gb single rank and I was thinking of getting a single 2400 8gb stick to make it 12gb, but for a dual rank 2400 it’s like £63 or so where as the single rank is £80ish which I can’t justify, so would be a mix in my case.

Associate
I've been running a matched pair of 4 GB DDR3 dual sticks with one different branded 4 GB single stick for years without any problems. These were in single channel mode until just today, but now just enabled dual channel in Flex mode to take advantage of the matched pair. Might be too early to tell if that brings up any problems, but have put it through a few benchmarks and it's all solid so far.

Soldato
OP
hanks for replies.

I’ve run mix ram in the past, but was never aware of this ‘single & dual rank’ on them, I misunderstood it as single & dual channel lol.

Well the ram would be from the same family, timings, speed, just obviously it will have a slightly different product code and will say single rank and with a readup on single being faster I wasn’t sure if there be an impact, so that’s good to know there won’t be, may just order another 4gb then :cool:

Back
Top Bottom