best VR options.

Associate
so My youngest lad is looking for VR headset for his PC for his Christmas.

now I know the games he wants to play. Job simulator being the top one.
Ive seen the windows mixed reality head sets made by Dell, HP and others. are these any good?
my lads only 7 so not looking to go daft. would love to get him the vive but having 3 growing boys and recently started my own business everything has a budget

Soldato
If you're on a budget the Windows MR headsets are pretty good. They are simpler to setup due to the inside out tracking system, but this does lead to problems where the controllers aren't tracked unless they're in view of the headsets. Compatibility with Steam VR is pretty good.

The Oculus Rift has the best controllers currently available, and is one of the most ergonomic and comfortable headsets, but the external tracking system requires you to place the two (or for the best tracking three) USB3 tracking cameras around the room. Oculus has some of the best software exclusives on any VR platform.

The HTC Vive is a great system, and the external tracking system doesn't require loads of USB3 ports, but the current controllers are not as good as the Rift's. The Vive also needs an add-on audio strap to give equivalent audio functionality to the rift (which has decent built in headphones, unlike the Vive)

However if this is for a 7 year old you have to be careful and limit the amount of time spent in VR, as unlike adults their visual systems are still being formed. Too much VR may affect their visual development.

Soldato
Here's a breakdown I did recently for wmr vs rift.

Esssntially rift is better for roomscale but more expensive.

If your are planning on playing non 'cockpit' games (I. E thoose you won't be sat down wearing) I would recommend a rift or vive over a wmr headset.

Personally I would say you are missing out on a fuller experience if you don't get up from your seat. Games like Robo recall on the rift are a real blast.

My preference would be for rift with an extra 3rd sensor for improved tracking if you have the space for a bit of roomscale. Reasons are arguably best hand controllers at the moment, good tracking (especially with third sensor) and a relatively good balance of price, FOV, and resolution

If you definetly don't or can't do roomscale a Wmr headset might be worth it for the lower price.

Advantages acer

Cheaper
Lighter
I think it has a flip up screen that allows you to keep the headset on but still see?
No need for external tracking sensors
Slightly higher res then standard vive or rift

Disadvantages

Head tracking generally inferior to a well set up external tracking system
No external tracking means means inferior tracking for handheld controllers especially if you are in a room with a lot of other light sources. Also tracking fails if you hand and the controller isn't in line of sight of the headset. You have to be looking at the held controller to get good tracking unlike rift of view.
Handheld controllers generally inferior to the rift ones
Narrower FOV
I don't think there is a wireless ad on option like there is for rift and vive? (but the options there are expensive)
Suffers from more motion blur due to screen type

Associate
First I must say I think a 7 year old is a little young for a VR headset, I have a 7 year old and a 5 years old. Both have used the headset, but for no more then 10 minutes at a time.

I have the Dell WMR headset and main reason I bought it, was for my flight sim game battle of Stalingrad. Which works really well with the WMR headset and looks great, I also have no problem playing vive or rift games with my WMR headset. I have even setup a rift account to play the demos in the rift store, you just need to install some software called revive.

About 4 months ago I was looking into getting a headset and I was looking at the Rift and the Lenovo explorer, after asking on a few forums and watching quite a few youtube videos. I decided on a WMR headset and I am really glad I picked it over the Rift. This is one of the videos which helped me decide.

The best WMR headsets at the moment are the Samsung odyssey, Lenovo explorer and the Dell Visor. I managed to get my Dell headset from Dell for £279 including the controllers, it may also be worth looking on black Friday.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Young kids shouldn't be on VR really as their eyes haven't finished developing and it can lead to eyesight problems.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...l-reality-headset-children-cognitive-problems

Addendum:-

I'm studying a Ph.D on the topic of VR: Integrated Delivery of Education and our ethics board has prohibited me from using participants below the age of 13 for the above reasons - I can link some academic papers that confirm longer term and probably permanent issues with eyesight (hard to be sure as the field is so new) if you're interested.

Associate
In my opinion.
•For deep pockets because of the addons, HTC Vive
•Budget (but still excellent), WMR
•Best overall, Oculus Rift

I let my 6 my year old play Rec Room on my Rift (child account) for about an hour overall on weekend, he loves it. There are supposed concerns on letting kids play VR, until these have been verified of otherwise I would be hesitant in letting my son play anymore than 30min at a time.

Back
Top Bottom