Haswell OC first attempt

Associate
Brand new to OCing but have read a lot of guides now
so i tried a small OC first from the 3.8ghz (1.18v) turbo to 4.0ghz (1.19v)

so now im trying to get 4.2ghz and im wondering if its normal for there to be a big jump in volts for a small boost like that? as im currently at 1.25v with 4.2ghz

just seems like a big jump for 200mhz gain

i know theres more settings you can change to optimise the OC but im just trying the basics until i can get something stable so im only changing the core clock and vcore

Associate
Haswell cpu's may even need 1.4v for 4.5ghz so it can be normal for some samples to need a lot of voltage. It does depend on silicone lottery but they all seem to require quiet a lot of voltage in comparison to newer cpu's.

However, did you tweak LLC and VCIN? I found tweaking it resulted in more stable overclock at lower voltage. Additionally, What are your temps like ?

My sister got a I7 4770k that overclocks to 4.5ghz @1.260v but temps are high in high 90s so I need to delid it when I get time + deliding tool. Withouth LLC + VCIN tweaking it required 1.296v.

Hope the above helps.

Associate
OP
Not tried anything other than changing the core clock and vcore

max temps around 68C

Got the LLC to auto and the VCIN (VIN?) is default of 1.8

the guide i was reading said to keep the VIN 0.5v above the vcore so with that in mind i shouldnt need to touch the VIN until 1.3v+ on the vcore

any suggestion on what i should change the LLC/VIN to?

Associate
If you read online VCCIN value is safe between 1.8-2.0v. I have set VCCIN to 1.9v on my sisters with LLC of 2, which on asus mobo was 20% voltage so please consult the manual as it might be something else on your motherboard.

Also do not confuse VCCIN with VCORE as it will kill your cpu.

If youre new to overclocking it might be worth reading what VCCIN and LLC etc. is. Personally I would leave LLC as it is now as it make little difference. For example, on my sisters cpu I've stress tested the cpu with prime95 for 2h no instability but then from time to time she got a blue screen after adjusting LLC she never had one since. Temps look good for 1.25v, assuming you using a stress test not just games. Try not to go over 1.30-1.35v on vcore as a daily overclock as higher will degrade the chip quicker. Lastly try 4.3ghz at 1.25v. Also when stress tesing put it on manual then when stability is found switch it to adaptive (or whatever it is called on your mobo, where cpu clocks back at idle)

Im happy to assist you just let me know your motherboard manual.

Associate
OP
Associate
motherboard is gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

this is the main guide ive been using https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1401976-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide.html
its very in-depth with bios images to help

the names of certain settings seem to vary between motherboards so that adds more confusion too

as for the stress testing i admit i havent done a real lot, just using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility doing 30min - 1hr cpu tests plus gaming

That is fine but i would advise aida64 for stability testing. I did as you describe above and in summer my sister oc didnt boot at all lol. Im happy to advise on how to use aida if needed. Of course sometimes cpu is happy with stress test but wil bsod in games but usually stress test are spot of or close to 100% stability.

Ill have a look your motherboard later or you can figure it out which always is the best as you will know how to do it in the future. If you have any questions ask ill answer them or direct to best sources.

By the way i learned from the same guide 4 years ago and watched jays2cents for z87 overcloking but note he has two videos on it

Associate
OP
Yeah im sort of getting the hang of it i was just worried about the big jump in vcore for only little gain but if you say thats fine with haswell then im happy to keep testing things out

will download aida64 and give it a go tomorrow

also subbed to jayz2cents but didnt know he had any videos on it, will check them out too

thanks for all the input and i will try out what you suggested and post back in a few days maybe when ive done more testing and see how things go

Associate
OP
That is fine but i would advise aida64 for stability testing. I did as you describe above and in summer my sister oc didnt boot at all lol. Im happy to advise on how to use aida if needed. Of course sometimes cpu is happy with stress test but wil bsod in games but usually stress test are spot of or close to 100% stability.

Ill have a look your motherboard later or you can figure it out which always is the best as you will know how to do it in the future. If you have any questions ask ill answer them or direct to best sources.

By the way i learned from the same guide 4 years ago and watched jays2cents for z87 overcloking but note he has two videos on it

so i got aida64 and did a system stability check with only cpu checked
i only did a quick 10 minute test as i dont have much time but thought id give it a go, however one thing ive noticed is that it is still using 100% cpu like the intel test however the temps are much lower, i maxed 54C with aida but 68C with intel which i think is a bit odd

also how long do you recommend to test before being happy with it? dont really want to do an overnight 10hr+ test like others seem to suggest

EDIT : This was all keeping it at 4.2ghz 1.25v, not tried 4.3 just yet

Soldato
Have you tried using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility? It should do a lot of the work to give you a good starting point, and it's a nice interface for changing the settings to see what works for your system. It has benchmarking and stress testing built in.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Little update on this, i tried the 4.3 @ 1.25 but that was a no-go.. so i decided 4.2ghz was enough for me for now anyways
so 4.2ghz @ 1.25v seems fine, passed test in IETU and aida64 30 mins each.. then bf5 came out and after playing a few hours i kept crashing

i have now upped it to 1.26v, ran the tests again and played bf5 for many hours without issue
temps around 65C

im happy enough with 4.2 for now, i might try higher in the future if needed
i appreciate the advise

Back
Top Bottom